Plucking: Index vs. Middle

I have to agree with this. If you were to watch me trying to play Billie Jean the first time, the first thing you’d notice is my fret buzz as I am jumping around trying to keep pace. I struggle to quickly fret, particularly with that 4th fret cross over from A and D strings. There’s so much to think about! It’s a finger twister and with the middle finger leading, all my automation sorta broke down on me. Learning new stuff!

Even with my dominant hand on the fret board, I still have a learning curve! Bottom line for me though is, in my adult years any new motor skill I’ve ever had to learn I could learn it right handed, if I wanted to badly enough. I know 10-key by touch right handed and I’m very good at it.

I think the biggest thing is to get my hands to work together as a team, and not worry so much about what roles they have. To this left-hander, the right-handed bass looks most natural (all those years of air guitar!), so that’s the way I am going to do it!

3 Likes

I like it! Thanks!

1 Like

Bille Jean is a finger twister, but it is a highly repeatable pattern. Once you have the pattern down then it’s pretty straight-forward. I appreciate getting the pattern down is a challenge though as it was for me too.

4 Likes

They would be great!

I’m still trying to decide which way to learn (as a lefty) and with all the back and forth it’s overwhelming, lol.

2 Likes