Plucking Perfection

Hi folks,
I have a plucking question… I notice when I am chugging on a string alternating fingers there is a very slight difference in sound between fingers. The tone is identical but there’s a very slight difference in quality.
I’m using a metronome to time the plucks as precisely as possible.

Curious if others experience the same and how to perfect it. A plucking change? Is it just natural and not worth pursuing as it’s likely lost in any playing.

Trying to get my plucking technique as precise and crisp as possible.

Thx,
g

3 Likes

If the pluck sound you’re getting from each finger is identical, congrats! That’s one of the most difficult techniques for beginners to tackle.

Precise timing is another one that comes with practice.

You’re already using a metronome, so that’s great: it keeps you honest. :wink:

Just don’t obsess. Keep doing what you’re doing. You got this.

7 Likes

Ariane Cap has a picture in her bass theory book that shows how to over come that. You move your plucking hand forward and angle your fingers towards the bridge. It basically makes them the same length.

6 Likes

Yeah I agree. It’s normal that both plucking fingers sound a tiny little bit different because the angle of your attack is a little bit different. But this will become impossible to detect with time and practice, it’s not really an issue.

6 Likes

Like fingerprints, the difference is what makes it so organic. Just don’t miss the accents.

Evenness can kill the mood and feel of the song. That’s why I try not to use compressor. :joy:

4 Likes

Thank you @MikeC

2 Likes

Thank you @EddieJones.
I will have a look. Appreciate the reco!
g

1 Like

Thank you @terb,
Great point to avoid sounding like a mechanical AI bot.

Mostly working to ensure I ingrain good habit early, so as I progress in complexity I don’t get stuck.

2 Likes

Thank you @Al1885,
Appreciate your thought. Def want to keep the mood and vibe :slightly_smiling_face::metal:t2:.
Working to build good habits early for the advanced stuff I’m aspiring to

2 Likes

On my favorites songs I like frog in the hotpot approach I’d start at (as low as) 80% and increase 1% every session all the way to say 120%. This kills 2 birds in one go.

Notes take time to sound good under your finger and the best way to do that is repetition. Try it. Record yourself playing doing you just finish learning. The play it everyday for a month record it again. The same notes sound so much better.

3 Likes

Love this idea… going in the toolbox! :boom:

:pray:t2:

1 Like

Actually you want them to sound a little different, it adds some dynamism to the chugging :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @howard,
Appreciate the reframing!

2 Likes