Plucking Staccato

Hi all,
Do you have any advice how to develop staccato while plucking?
I understand is about getting a strong attack?
Thank you!

I would say itโ€™s more about good muting

3 Likes

Thank you Howard. Do you have any advice as to how to do staccato properly?

1 Like

Easiest way involves right hand muting; pluck and immediately mute with the alternating finger.

Next up is muting with the left hand. Pluck, lift, mute.

2 Likes

Staccato is about note length more than attack. You can make it part of your warm up, just play quarter notes with and without staccato. For example, with your metronome on slow speed (less than 60 bpm for me) on beat one and three, let the notes ring until the next click happens. After a few repeats, play just on the clicks, and mute as much as possible in between. Iโ€™d just start on the A string and combine a flat left hand mute with the thumb on the E string.

For muting tips, go through this video, itโ€™s a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Thank you Antonio!

You mean I should mute on 2 and 4?

Best is to see and hear where you are right now, can you post a video playing then itโ€™s easier to recommend the path to success.

1 Like

I havenโ€™t tried that yet. Letโ€™s say I am just anticipating things (haha). However, I will do that at some point, because it would be great to receive some help!

1 Like

Itโ€™s rather an advanced technique although all beginners do this unintentionally. It requires great coordination and timing. I treat staccato like a half step up ghost notes usually when combined with a full value note would produce a great effect.

Slower songs or 8th note you have both right hand and left hand muting technique for faster tempo itโ€™s only your left hand. Itโ€™s hard to give you specific instructions because too many variables but thereโ€™s a best way to approach the song for each of us.

I just posted this cover. There are some staccato in the mix with lots of ghost notes. You can start there I also posted the tab for this song. Here.

2 Likes

Thank you @Al1885 . Goodness, your playing is soooo smooth!

1 Like

You can learn lots of the technique from here heโ€™s my idol I want to grow up to be like him, lol.

2 Likes

I wonder who writes the arrangements for him!? (And records the backing tracks?)

Anyway, annoying little brat :joy: :rofl: :star_struck:

2 Likes

Itโ€™s from Matteo the Roma phenom.

Yamaha grabbed him so fast he has a unique guitar playing style and not to mention the speed.

1 Like

Ah yeah, of course, I should have known that :sweat_smile:

By the way, he is Sicilian :grin:

1 Like

Even better Cosa Nostra lol.

Thatโ€™s what I love about this place, we always give people the benefit of the doubt :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly, that gives you time to reset and to notice the difference between quarter notes and staccato quarter notes.

Source: I feel a noob when I listen back to my recordings. :laughing: By the way, you can use most newer phones to record yourself for practice purposes. Feel free to post a snippet, too, if you want our input.

Cheers,
Antonio

1 Like

Thanks Antonio, will do!