Plucking start with middle finger

Hi, I’m a beginner bassist ( I played the guitar for more than 10 years. ) and I have a question. The plucking start with my middle finger is faster (and more comfortable) than I start with my index finger. My question is that is a wrong technique or it’s okay?
Thank you for the answers and sorry for my english.

5 Likes

Absolutely!

That what I try to do most of the time. It would ensure the alternating. If it’s faster it’s even better.

3 Likes

+1 to what @Al1885 said!
As long as they alternate and you can change strings easily, you’re doing it right!

4 Likes

Yea, you’re totally playing correctly. The secret to playing well is playing comfortably. I use my middle finger a lot because I tend to keep it in the center of the riff or bass line I’m working with (typically floating between the A string or D string). It’s the longest finger and using it like that (for me) frees my index finger to go to the next note quicker and/or roll-off my ring finger and pinky finger for pull-offs.
Come to think of it, my index and thumb are usually on E string (and B string on my 5-er).
I worry a lot more about dexterity on my fretting hand rather than my other one–I could be totally wrong in my thinking though… so take that with a grain of salt… lol.
But I do my dexterity exercises on both hands randomly throughout the day, regardless.

3 Likes

I tend to default to starting with my middle BUT if I’m learning a song and realize that I can cross a string better if I start on my index I’ll swap for that song.

4 Likes

I play starting with middle regularly. I don’t think you’ll have any issues. These guys are all right-being able to play comfortably is really important.
And welcome @justarookie !

1 Like

There’s no wrong way to play as long as it sounds good. Don’t get too caught up on technique issues until it interferes with your playing. Depending on what I am playing I will sometimes start with middle, other times index, and it all depends on what notes I have to hit. I find it easier to reach the G string with my middle finger since it’s longer, so if a riff has one or two notes on the G, I’ll adjust my plucking to make sure I can hit it with the middle finger.

Also, alternate plucking isn’t always practical or necessary. Especially when you’re moving up the strings (by up I mean lower in pitch). I think they call it “raking” when you use the same finger for string changes, since that finger is already resting on the next string up it’s often faster and easier to just glide across the strings with the same finger.

Sometimes you might play something with just one finger, especially if you want exact and consistent tone from your plucking finger.

Also, your English is just fine buddy no need to apologize

5 Likes

It’s fine though eventually you’re going to want to be comfortable starting with either finger. There are often time, especially when crossing strings or descending quickly using raking that you’ll want to choose a certain finger. When you play a song, the fingers you use for each note should be the same every time.

2 Likes

So, for example, if I can play better and faster in static anchor than in movable anchor, can I stay with static anchor? It was written on the Bass Buzz page that professional bass players do not play static anchor, but this technique works better for me.

1 Like

I often start with the middle finger and I think that, depending on the bass line you’re playing, it can either be better (more natural) when starting with the index or the middle finger.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find the reason that almost every bass player moves their anchor point is due to the intricacy of the line they are playing. It’s very difficult to keep your E string muted while playing on D or G, and I can almost guarantee you that in time you’ll find your thumb moving from the pickups to the E string.

Anchoring on the A string is a double whammy since you can use the side of your thumb and rest it in the E to keep both strings muted with just one finger.

Most important thing is to play in a way that feels comfortable to you.

3 Likes

Well said @Ant +1

2 Likes

I have been meaning to ask this exact question. I too universally start plucking with my middle finger. Wanted to make sure I wasnt developing bad habits.

1 Like

The problem with people saying things like that is a lot of wrong or lazy things feel comfortable when you’re a beginner and it feels easier so you don’t have to work as hard learning something that feels awkward… but later on, if you want to optimize your playing you’ll often find that you have to relearn things.

There’s a good reason that the majority of teachers instruct in similar ways, because those techniques work. Can you pluck with only one finger? Can you fret with only 2? Sure, but it’s going to impede your learning/playing when you get to more technical pieces.

1 Like

I suppose I should have been more clear. Obviously you want to practice and reinforce good habits. Anchoring the thumb only on the pickup isn’t a terrible thing to do, and as I said I suspect that will be something that goes away with time and necessity.

When I first started out I kept stressing out over my technique and worrying I wasn’t doing things the “right” way, but everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for the next. That’s what I meant by whatever is comfortable…whatever allows you to play well

2 Likes

Although I start with my index, my middle finger inevitably takes the lead. It is very hard to alternate sometimes, is that bad? It seems from this forum that the starting finger is not so important, but alternating between them is. Can i use the same finger twice, once in a while, if that’s what it wants to do, naturally? Nonetheless, I’m hitting the strings quicker when i’m not forcing absolute alternation. TIA!

2 Likes

No problem, just roll with it. Sometimes it makes even more sense to do that.

1 Like