Plugin advice - bass and guitar

The Darkglass Ultra plugin is fantastic - both a B7K Ultra and a VMT Ultra for under $100. They sound really good too.

I would have bought Parallax too but I am doing what it does with different tools.

The free version of GK Amplification is pretty limited - I actually like the Plugin Alliance 800RB sim much better for GK.

1 Like

Parallax is great, I personally prefer the Darkglass Ultra plugin. I remember an issue with Parallax where turning off your cab sim would also turn off your amp sim.

The 800RB is one of my favourite amp sims. Totally worht it imo! Together with the Ampeg SVT Classic plugin. Just wait for the sales.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. So much to digest here. From someone who barely touches all the settings on my guitar amps, this could be some adventure :sunglasses:

Just did that and although I don’t know much better yet, I was pretty happy with the tone I got simply just picking a preset in NadIR and leaving SHB-1 pretty much flat (I think that’s the term when dials are at 12).

Hadn’t really gone exploring but after adding a few plugins, I noticed the included ones so will have a play with those.

Thanks, I do get worried about some of the “deals” out there. I gave my email address to a couple of online guitar lessons sites and one of them is terrible with spam and they try to make it sound like you had emailed them asking something or that I’m somehow “special”. Total poop. Bias is tempting. Ignite seems ok so far.

@sshoihet thanks for the tips, Plugin Boutique looks like a great site to find stuff and will definitely go digging in Reaper some more.

Thanks, once I’m a bit more confident with what I’m doing, I’ll download their 14 day trial.

Overall, lots of options. Thinking I’ll try to understand how to use a few of the free ones and then try some more of the paid options. Most of these companies do seem to have a lot of “sales” which makes me wonder if anyone every pays full price. Interestingly, I’m sure Bias FX was AU$67 when I first looked last night and then it changed to AU$81 on their website. They do have $10 off for signing up.

1 Like

No. You should never buy a plugin unless it is on sale. The sale price is the real price :slight_smile:

Additionally I would always buy on PluginBoutique. You accumulate a vast number of (normally) expensive plugins for free that way, both with their purchase gifts and virtual cash kickback.

2 Likes

:rofl: so just like guitar pricing, at least in Australia anyway. Other than a few shops that obviously don’t like doing any actual business, the vast majority have then bellow recommended retail price all the time and sometimes drop them even further.

1 Like

I’ve owned those for almost a year now, i should try them some day lol

1 Like

I’ve never bought any of the Valhalla plugins yet because they don’t do sales so i never have to buy them :smiley:

1 Like

I swear I got Valhalla Room on sale somehow. Not sure, maybe I did pay full price, which would be very odd for me.

1 Like

What’s kinda funny is that when Audio Damage plugins were all $50 or less, they never had sales and cited their low prices. Now that they go up to $80 on some, they do go on sale :eyes:

What’s that have to do with Valhalla DSP? I thought I remembered their owner saying the same and he’s worked with Chris Randall of Audio Damage (Eos reverb is a Valhalla algo)

Maybe it came bundled with something?

This, and lately it seems plugins are more or less constantly hitting sales like the sellers have a world calendar with every holiday on it :joy:

Hmm. I doubt the exchange rate changed that drastically, too o.O. It shows $59 USD for me which is a bit more than $80 AUD according to Alexa. It’s on a 40% off sale atm and Standard is usually $99 USD as I recall. Which reminds me, I want their greenback and creamback IRs but oof the pricing even on sale…

1 Like

Pretty sure that I got something from them on sales too (or at least for free). I think they did discounts for existing customers. Either way Valhalla Room isn’t that super expensive.

Supermassive is a free reverb they make that is well-regarded, too.

1 Like

I have it too and it is indeed supermassive. It is not an entry level reverb :rofl:

2 Likes

Does Valhalla have a bundle option or is it $50 a pop periord?

1 Like

I don’t see any bundles on their site, but I didn’t look too hard, either. I did, however, download the latest Supermassive finally :joy:

1 Like

If you take a look a their pricing faq it’s pretty clear I was misremembering and did not get it on sale :slight_smile:

$50 each, forever, no discounts period.

That said, Room is good. It’s not my go-to, but it is good.

Meanwhile I do recommend just grabbing MFreeFXBundle here:

It comes with a lot out of the box, and the upgrade for the entire bundle is cheap (especially on sale). I really like MCharmVerb and MCompressor is not bad either. Melda’s stuff is generally top notch. Their multiband chorus is the one I use 100% as well (though it’s not free).

Additionally, their MTurboComp would be something I looked at way before going Waves. It includes a ‘76 in it as well. I don’t use it (I have several and simply like Kilohearts’ compressor) but it would be the next one I bought if I wanted more compressors.

1 Like

Speak of the devil, @iDuncan - Kuassa just went on sale until March 14 lol.

2 Likes

Definitely can recommend their stuff. Cerberus is my favorite bass amp sim.

@Koldunya thank you. I’ll try the demo again tomorrow (played guitar tonight) and if I’m still happy with it I’ll buy it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ooh I will probably pick up Amplifikation Lancaster myself, an AC30 would kind of nicely round out my collection for guitar.

I totally love their Amplifikation Clarent.

1 Like

I’m tempted by those two for guitar and/or maybe the Caliburn.