Plugins I Have Known And Loved

Guitar is great. Only, I would try to mix in another layer of bass tube overdrive/octaver>chorus and eq these bass layers out. It’s probably just me, but there is like a clear step from bass to guitar, and IMHO the OCT->Chorus/OD could do the trick, just a sggestion. But the song is, maybe the mix reminds me of 90s post grunge. Good jow howard!

1 Like

Thanks! It’s actually one of the more famous '80s punk/indie bands. Broke up in '88, so not far off. Started out as hardcore punk and mellowed to indie towards the end; were great their entire run.

1 Like

Howard, would you be willing to send me stems to this track? I would love to mix it until the mastering stage. Just a curious ask. :slight_smile: btw. " Amethyst Legion" is your channel?

Yep that’s my channel :slight_smile:

I’ll have to think about the stems thing and run it by my bandmate. I am guessing this might be a little uncomfortable though because it’s not our own song and we don’t have copyright on it - we can always disable the youtube version if it becomes an issue (and it is already copyright claimed there) but if we otherwise distribute it it is more dubious. Thanks for the offer and interest though, appreciate it!

1 Like

I don’t even need to release it, just pass it back to you after it’s done and you can throw it away, listen to it or whatever. I just bought some emulations for my Console 1 ecosystem (Empirical Labs of Distressor fame, British channel etc.) and I would love to fiddle around with something like this trying to give it that “Clearmountain” magic mix/bit of production treatment. And listen to end product. But I understand your concern fully.

1 Like

Man, MDoubleTracker is freaking great. It does a better job than I was doing manually, even without tweaking its settings at all, just adding it to the track.

Bought it, this one is too damn good to pass up. So easy to use, and comes with a multiband version as well. It was just on sale and I got it just in time. Will probably be in Melda’s next sale though (likely Black Friday).

1 Like

I’m already saving up for some plugins!

1 Like

I know, me too! I am probably going on an Arturia Spree :rofl:

1 Like

I just had to buy Massive X, Serum, and Ozone for my classes…those will keep me busy for a while, plus that depleted the piggybank…so need to start saving up my pennies again before the big holiday sales. I missed the last deal on Manipulator and hope to get that for vocals if it goes on sale again.

2 Likes

All of those are fantastic. Did you get Ozone in a bundle with Neutron and Tonal Balance? If not you can get a sweet crossgrade offer on Plugin Boutique.

Ozone on the master + Neutron on the tracks are my main mixing/mastering plugins.

Serum is a great initial wavetable synth, very simple to use and understand. And capable as well - it did fuel EDM for years after all.

Massive is an amazing instrument with a huge base of devoted fans - haven’t really used it myself but it comes with a lot.

1 Like

I didn’t get neutron, just the Ozone 9 advanced (we get a good discount through Berklee, so it was already a set package). Agree, serum, is fairly straight forward…it’s a good entry s/w. Massive X has a lot of nice updates that I still need to dig into more.

1 Like

Cool. Might want to check this out since you have Ozone 9 licensed:

That will get you Neutron Advanced, Nectar Plus, Melodyne, and Tonal Balance for $150. It’s how I got them. Not sure if the initial purchase needed to be on PB though.

All of those (and Ozone) work together in pretty sweet ways.

1 Like

Oh, very cool…will have to check that out. I have to look to see what else I got with it already, as it came with a few other plugins.

2 Likes

me three…hoping the Hammond one I am eyeing on IK goes on sale.

Do you know about this sale IK Multimedia. Musicians First?

Yes, but I only want one thing.
You get a discount on many things after you buy one thing.
Not the best deal for me. Haha

1 Like

:rofl:

Oh no. V Collection is on sale for 50% off at PB. I might not make it to Black Friday.

2 Likes

I had this in my cart last night and decided to sleep on it. This morning I decided to buy it, went to PB, and… the deal is gone, even though it was supposed to be through the 25th. The ad for the deal is still up, it’s just ignored and the thing is full price.

I wonder if Arturia put the kibosh on the sale :rofl:

1 Like