Plugins I Have Known And Loved

I use Amplitube 4 most of the time, it took me a while to dial in some tones i liked. I tried out Amplitube 5 and it sounded great but i decided i liked what i had and didn’t want to spend more time playing around again right now :slight_smile: and to get the good bass stuff with V5, you have to get the Max package which isn’t cheap.

1 Like

I love my Helix Native plug-in. Even more then my stomp unit :sweat_smile:

Also you can just run a few effects in native and do everything else with discrete plugins. I have been using it for purely effects or preamps.

1 Like

I wish I could form-factor that into a pedal. I guess I could strap a NUC to a DAI with a MIDI foot switch.

1 Like

Isn’t this basicly the HX Stomp? :slight_smile:

HX Stomp doesn’t run .vst plugins.

Oh you mean like that. Sorry Dave I understand what you meant now.

1 Like

Sales on Softube. Amp room looks cool even if it’s more focussed for guitars. For 89 euros it seems you get a SVT-CL amp and cab sim. All the other stuff should be useable for both bass and guitar.

2 Likes

Amplitube is great don’t get me wrong. I loved my demo time with it. But I just like the simplicity of an amp sim with a cab loader for my own collection.

But I know you can just mute the cab section in Amplitube and then introduce your own IR loader next up in your mixer chain to take care of that issue but I still just like it all on one screen for the most part.

I really like Nembrini Audio for the Darkglass emulations. Just love them.

1 Like

At the moment for starting price. It’s not specifically for bass, but it seems like a bunch of useful live-focused effect units.

Not exactly a plugin per se but I just bought UVI’s USQ-1 soundbank for UVI Workstation.

It’s super super good, very similar to what a real ESQ-1 sounds like. Satisfying for my nostalgia missing mine.

4 Likes

UVI deserve it, I love their unique take on effects.

1 Like

Anybody else use Harrison Mixbus as their DAW? I ended up with their full plug-in suite when it went on sale last year but haven’t really delved into it too much. I like Mixbus because, unlike Reaper or Pro Tools, it is designed to color the sound to emulate a Harrison console. The interface also replicates the look and feel of a console mixer. One of my biggest regrets is selling my Soundcraft 600b mixer with a couple of custom API channel strips. I like mixing analog, and this was the closest I could find. Anyway, the plug-ins on their default settings sound pretty great, but, damn there are a lot of parameters you can adjust. It’s a bit overwhelming.

4 Likes

Oh cool! I hadn’t heard of it. Looks interesting.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty cool. I used Mixbus to build the sound effects cues and music for a live radio play I produced for a local theater. I really like the analog interface.
Glenn Fricker on his SpectreSoundStudios YouTube channel does a review of Mixbus32C, the more elaborate version, and also does a shootout between Mixbus and Reaper. They’re fun to watch (and there is some damn fine bass playing on them). It’s less a “shootout” than it is a comparison between a clean DAW and one that intentionally colors the sound. The built-in compression, eq, and tape saturation on Mixbus is impressive, which makes me wonder why I splurged on the full plug-in suite :roll_eyes:. Oh well, it was on sale.

1 Like

ba1c5c50dcee7d9e8f424cda70c93e64dd7510790c7039002f549d5c962787ff.0
Nooooooo noooooo not another rabbit hole!?!

1 Like

I know of it but I’m not using it. Seems so limited with only 12 buses and such limited routing. Only scenario I would use this is in stem mixdown to give it some flavour if I was really going for that “Harrison Sound”.

I would regret that as well, especially those API strips.

Yep, it was special. Even the Soundcraft EQs were pretty great. I hope that whoever has it now is giving it the love it deserves.
As for Mixbus, we clearly play in different sandboxes :grinning:. My engineering/mixing experience is from running a small indie studio more than two decades ago. I did demos for local bands and a couple of Christian label records (I’m glad that Jesus loves them, because I didn’t). I don’t think I’ve ever used more than 16 tracks and 4 buses. A DAW is a vast expanse of, “WFT do I do with all that?”
I like the analog-style interface of Mixbus and the fact that it goes for a distinct color rather than trying to be neutral. I like knobs and faders, what can I say? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Makes sense in your case, I work on average with 60 - 100 tracks per song and that’s without all extra subs and groups.

Beware, the “comfort” template. After opening Ableton, it loads everything I will probably want to use. With a tablet controler, all the tracks are mapped so one click moves you to any particual track. I love this frictionless workflow concept.

1 Like

I don’t end up with that many but that’s only because my main drums have thir own faders in the plugin and act like a mini drum bus. If I were splitting the drums out I would be up around 30+ though, commonly.

The 8 you get with Live Lite isn’t gonna cut it for long :slight_smile: