Poor Quality Cables

After 2 years I don’t think I’d be too upset.
As a man who can never have too many cables I’ve ordered one from Artist guitars for the reasonable price of $20 delivered for a 5m cable.

6 Likes

Hi @Jamietashi Jamie, let us know how you get on with Fender.
I’ve not been lucky recently, my Scarlett interface also broke, and I had a battle with PMT music store who wouldn’t let me take it back to a store for a swap. I had to post it off.
With my luck with cables and kit at the moment, you’d think I was really rough with everything, but I’m so careful with electronics. Just not a lucky month

6 Likes

Hi Mac, if I were gigging possibly but I bought these cables 3 x 20’ + 6 x 12" and 1 x 3’ two years ago and have only been using them since mid April. I had bought them for guitar. That dreadful instrument that shredded my fingertips :guitar: :rofl: Sorry I was not clearer :slight_smile: @Mac
Jamie

3 Likes

Ah I see @Jamietashi :+1: Yeah that’s pretty shabby .

2 Likes

My practice time has been limited so far because I can’t play the lessons or bass except with phones when my grandson is sleeping ( 2 yrs old) which is a lot.
I thought I could route the lessons and other music into my Rumble 40 with the bass and get all on the phones . I am getting an annoying buzz/hum when I plug in the 3/8" cable from my headphone jack to amp. Is it shitty cable or could there be another reason?

4 Likes

Try plugging everything (amp and laptop or phone you’re using to play the lessons) into the same socket or extension cord. That usually does the trick.

3 Likes

+1 to above. Definitely try that first. If it doesn’t work …

I haven’t tried it myself, but someone recently posted (which I can’t find at the moment) that this worked for them …

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black) Amazon.com

2 Likes

Hey @guy.farrell,
I do all my practice without plugging in to anything, I just listen to the music into headphones over 1 ear and can hear my bass with the other, makes no noise at all, maybe you can get more practice in this way👍
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Thanks all! problem solved. So glad to be part of this group.

3 Likes

Livewire cables (I’ve mostly gotten them through guitar center, but they’re generally available) - in all of their various grades - have worked well and been reliable for me. They get pretty heavily abused in street performance. Also, they claim a lifetime warranty which I have not needed to use.

2 Likes

I’ve had fantastic luck always just buying the absolutely dirt cheapest shielded cables I can find and if one ever goes bad, no biggie because it was only $5-10.

This goes way back to gigging in college.

All cables you use a lot go bad eventually. You just need to decide how much you want it to cost you when they do.

(or you can just fix them since they usually go bad at the solder joint at the jack.)

1 Like

and that’s why I’m somewhat on expensive cables … :smiley:

2 Likes

Actually getting nice ones with stress relief jacks and then just fix them if they break is a good plan too, sure. But I have spent too much money in the past on “good” cables (usually networking) just to watch them go bad at the jacks with similar regularity to standard ones, that now I just buy the cheap ones.

1 Like