Poor Quality Cables

I don’t know if I’ve just been unlucky, but I’ve bought quite a few cables, like headphone extension leads, jack to RCA and other cables for my DAI/stereo amp setup from UK shops who have sent me Stagg branded cables.
I’ve had 3 separate cables from this brand fail now, for example the jack socket on the extension lead failed and the jack to RCA cable went high impedance on one channel so the volume was very low. Had another cable fail too.
Anyone else had experience of this brand? Seems popular with sites you can mail order from in the UK.
Won’t be buying any more!
Anyone got any recommendations for general audio cable brands which are good quality and don’t cost the earth?

6 Likes

I’m having similar problems with cheaper brand cables over here @Mark_UK.
I’ve ended up ordering a Fender cable tonight from EBay and for how much it cost I hope it will be okay :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Hi @Mac, I’ve gone for Fender cables for instrument cables and between pedals, they seem good quality.
It’s the other audio cables that have let me down.

6 Likes

DOH! I’ve just reread your post :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I’ve had great success with these. I’ve had three of them for nearly a year and a half and they still perform brilliantly.

4 Likes

@Mark_UK, here is a source for many different types of cables, plugs, and adapters:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/audio-cables

HTH, Joe

6 Likes

Thanks for that link Joe @Jazzbass19. I put it in my bookmarks.

6 Likes

Stagg is a very cheap low-end brand, so I’m not very surprised.

I use the same ProCo (relatively expensive) cables since about 20 years, so I think that a little expense is worth it for something we use all the time :grin:

8 Likes

I’ve used Fender and an Amazon brand called “Speak Friends.” Speak Friends is poised at the Mogami market. Good results with both.

6 Likes

I guess I should have read the post more closely as well. :ghost:

5 Likes

Yes sorry everyone I wasn’t very clear on my original post. Despite doing my best to wrench them out of guitar/amp sockets by standing on the cables at times, the instrument cables between bass-pedal board - amp have always been reliable.
What’s let me down is the audio cables around the DAI, for example the one I bought to connect my interface to line out on my tablet (mini jack to two TS jacks), jacks to RCA to connect my stereo and a headphone extension cable. All from Stagg and all failed in some way. Weird.

5 Likes

I’ve found over the years with computers and music that all cables eventually go bad. So I generally only buy cheap cables on the knowledge that I will have to replace them. I have generally good luck with this but you definitely have to be ready to throw a cable in the trash, even if it is relatively new.

6 Likes

I agree with what @howard said to a certain extent.
I have had too many of the ultra cheap cables arrive DOA, or die within a week, so I generally avoid the lowest cost or “BEST DEAL” cables, on the other hand, they are going to go bad, or break eventually, even the best, there is so much plugging in and out and twisting, and sharp bends near the connector, that they are doomed to fray, tear, break or fail.

I go for the middle of the road and it had been working well for a long time now. I no longer have cables arrive DOA, and except for the rare occasion, they all live a life I expect, 6mo to a year, and then I replace them. I usually can see the wear, and order replacements in advance.
So far, this is the best route I have found.

Except for Apple cables.
For only charging cables, I live by this, and buy just a step or two up from the cheapest
But
For any interface cable, connector, adapter, etc… I stick to Apple Brand. Not Certified, but BRAND.

For instance, the Camera Adapter, which is a lightning to Female USB adapter, I went against my better judgement, and bought a $14 adapter.
This was to connect my Zoom U-22 DAI to my Ipad via USB.
This cable would connect, my bass would recognize thru the Zoom DAI, and every time after a few minutes I would get the message
“Non supported product”
And the DAI and Bass would disappear.
I returned it and bought the $29.99 Apple adapter and never had this issue again.

For charging cables, Apple Certified usually work.
Every once in a while I get that message, but it still charges, so I am good.

4 Likes

Another thing to remember is a lot of expensive audio cables and connectors are basically a scam. Anyone advertising better sound or less interference or noise out of a cable should be taken with a huge grain of salt; it’s almost assuredly BS. As long as the instrument cable is shielded, soldered well, and has an uncorroded connector, there is no difference whatsoever in audio quality between inexpensive cables and pricey gold plated connectors.

7 Likes

Absolutely, 100% for sure.
Think of the sales guy at the electronics store that states he doesn’t make commission, but your BluRay player just won’t be High Def if you don’t take home this $100 MONSTER BRAND HDMI cable, you might as well be watching standard def DVD player otherwise, he tells you. No sir, you are dead wrong, this $20 hdmi cable will do the trick just fine

6 Likes

Glad you posted that @howard.
I very nearly stumped up the extra for gold plated jacks !

6 Likes

Amazon.co.uk @Mark_UK
Mark I have been buying these no problem I know they are inexpensive but they feel quality
Jamie

4 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi Jamie, I’ll give Amazon’s range a go :+1:

5 Likes

Hi Mark, I hope that you got sorted. Here is a funny one. One of my Fender 20ft leads has just broken. Only two years old. Now to see how tae claim on Fenders lifetime guarantee
Jamie

6 Likes

see this is why I never buy expensive cables :slight_smile:

they all die at some point.

5 Likes