Portable Bass Amp

Hello All,

Here in the world of 2024, are there any new bass rigs that could possibly be powered by a battery that any of you recommend?

I have my eye on a BOSS Duel but interested in your perspectives , hands on , or reviews.

Any advice is welcomed and have a wonderful 2024,
Cheers

4 Likes

Are you looking for personal practice, or to use where you want other people to hear you?

If just for personal practice, why bother with an amp? I use one of these and a pair of headphone. Job done… It’s simple, works and doesn’t disturb anyone else in the house. I can even plug in my phone so I can either do a B2B lesson, or play along with a song on iTunes, YouTube etc.

Sorry, I can’t comment on a battery powered amp though.

5 Likes

It doesn’t look like there is very strong demand for battery powered amps. Thomann has only 5 models on their store, ranging from 10W to 50W . If there are new models coming out this year, chances are that they will be presented at NAMM.

2 Likes

There is also the option of using a battery powered speaker. It might not necessarily provide a full low end, but it could be an alternative.

2 Likes

The Blackstar Fly 3 Bass runs on DC or batteries…

See also:

5 Likes

All Of These Options Are Sweet !!!

@sunDOG , definitely for making music but that set up of yours rocks

@Krescht , will research these and interested in their 2024 line for sure

@Mike_NL , now that is fantastic and I do believe our local shop has that brand name. I walked right by them thinking they were electric guitar amps. oops

Thank You For Your Feedback,
Cheers
P.S. Here is my current rig and why I do not want to carry it to gigs anymore

4 Likes

Positive grid Spark or Spark mini seems to fit here as well.

1 Like

They do come in a guitar version as well, so you’ll have to be careful not to get the wrong one.

Joyo has something similar, by the way:

3 Likes

Those Joyo Amps Kick A$$ There @Mike_NL and have seen the larger 15 inch and 12 inch as well. We have a metal local band that uses a Joyo Stack

I am very curious and about to YT this particular amp to see what I see

Thanx For That Link Brother Man,
Cheers

3 Likes

Bought a Fly 3 today and it’s brilliant! Perfect for my tiny flat and the sound really is surprisingly good for a tiny, light little fella. Deffo recommend it.

1 Like

Another route could be a DI box and a mixing board to go to a PA system (or front of house). Actually, this is what the local music store recommended. The only question that you’d have is how you can monitor your sound, if the PA doesn’t point in your general direction or stands behind the band.

1 Like

I own the immediate bigger model, the Line 6 LowDown 300 Pro, it’s heavy as f*ck and nowhere near portable. I cut mine into a stack with separate cab and head. The carpentry for the head is not 100% finished (because it’s cold in my workshop :smiley: ) but I plan to finish it this year.

2 Likes

This is a great little bedroom practice amp! I picked one up a while back and it’s fun to play on. This 10-watt amp has a Normal/Clean channel and a Drive channel. Volume, tone, and gain controls. You can get a nice gritty sound out of it. It has an aux-in jack and a headphone-out jack.

For kicks, I recorded a quick audio sample to give you an idea of what it sounds like:

Again, impressed at how good it sounds for being so dang small. It even runs on AA batteries if you want!

3 Likes

Thanx Brother @fennario !!!

You have no idea how much I appreciate this and I am floored by the sound. Love the fact that AA Batteries are in play here and this is exactly what I am looking for. A compact , solid sounding , and battery powered practice amp.

At the 22 second mark, did you adjust the gains or tone? Have you run an iPod or device through the AUX Jack yet and any thoughts? I ask because I tend to camp out on those 20 min drum tracks on YT or a drone tone while I practice.

Stay Groovy,
Cheers

1 Like

Hey @travis.thepadre.reed , happy to help! The tone at 0:22 is the same settings as at the beginning, I just played lower on the fretboard to show how those open A and E strings sound on the small speaker. Only other change I made was switching to the Drive setting for the last example. I don’t think I’ve used the aux-in to be honest (I also have a Spark 40 and use it for that purpose, with audio connected via Bluetooth) but I’d be happy to do so and report back. Gotta work today, so probably later this evening.

The other thing this amp has going for it is that it’s relatively inexpensive. Looks like $55 on Amazon, or $60 with a carry strap.

Cheers!

2 Likes

@fennario, I didn’t find an option with a carry strap, either on Amazon or on the Joyo website. Where did you see it? Thx

1 Like

This is the one I saw:

https://www.amazon.com/Protable-Guitar-Amplifer-Channel-Practicing/dp/B09ZP3M925/

2 Likes

Boss Dual Cube LX.
This one’s become my daily practice amp.
Loud enough to disturb the neighbors if I’m out on the porch.
True thumping bass tone, unlike the two cheap $50 plastic bass amps I bought and retired after discovering they just didn’t cut it.
20230409-090247

2 Likes

Thanx @fennario for the link with the strap. I have that in the cue at the moment as there are 12 available via that link.

@JD56hawk , is that BOSS battery operated? I ask because I believe the newest model is the amp I tested today for $380.oo

The local music store also offers a Yamaha but also runs $280.oo

I really don’t believe that I’m in the market for that dollar amount for a practice , battery powered, carrying amp at this time. We have a proper PA for publicly playing , cords for an easy patch into boards , and I am simply gathering intel from you fine folks.

So far, with the free return, @fennario Joyo is most attractive for the price and needs. Also, dig the profile photo for sure. You might have shared with the forum , I shared my story as its my logo for my biz, what’s the story?

Again, thank you all for chiming in!!
Much Appreciated,
Cheers

1 Like

This is a review I did a while ago on the JBL partybox 100. They also make a 200. They are made to be portable with a mic input and an instrument input for guitar or bass. It’s not the best sounding 100 watt amp. But it is very portable. I don’t think I have ever tried it with effect pedals. I mostly would use it to practice in my truck while waiting for my wife. Otherwise it’s my gym stereo.