Mini Bass Amp

As it gets nicer I was consider getting a mini bass amp preferably with built in tuner to play outside. Is this a good idea? If so, any recommendations?

4 Likes

Battery powered or plug-in?

4 Likes

i have two mini amps, cheap and expensive. the fly amp is fine for what it is, just don’t expect a ton from it. battery powered is nice. expensive is the new PJB nanobass x4, which you can go ahead and expect a ton from (except massive amounts of volume).

https://pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/p-x-4-combo-amp/

5 Likes

Battery preferably

2 Likes

I have the Joyo (amazon el cheapo).
No tuner.
It is fine, not great.

I would love to know what the ‘best’ one of these is sound wise as they are nearly impossible to try (a bunch o’) in a reasonable distance of stores.

4 Likes

I have a JBL Partybox 100. It’s a portable battery powered bluetooth speaker that has a guitar and mic input in the back. For casual outdoor playing it works great. No tuner.

4 Likes

You don’t mention a budget but the Yamaha THR is battery powered and wireless, bluetooth, tuner and effects built in, acts as a USB DAI, works for a multitude of instruments.

Not cheap but great on the go.

7 Likes

My Phil Jones BG-75 Double Four can be battery-powered with a battery bank that can supply 20V as it uses an external laptop-style power supply. It brings the beans (volume) and the lows of a 5-string with ease. It’s a bit spendy by itself and you still need a battery bank to power it. I even have a carry bag for it I got off Amazon. It does not, however, have a built-in tuner, so you’d need maybe a clip on if ultimate portability was the goal.

I have no idea how the plethora of mini amps on Amazon sound, YouTube would be my go-to for that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Spark Mini. I preordered mine but has not shipped yet. If it’s anything close to its bigger sister you are in for a treat. Very powerful and useful app. Yes it has builtin tuners too.

The Spark is definitely a good contender small but pretty powerful definitely gigable in a small venue. I used this in a rehearsal with the middle school band and it loud enough surprisingly.

It’s a bit warm for guitar but perfect for bass.

3 Likes

That looks promising!

3 Likes

My Phil Jones BG-75 Double Four can be battery-powered with a battery bank that can supply 20V as it uses an external laptop-style power supply.

@Koldunya this is no longer true for new devices (unfortunately), as those are powered by IEC C13 mains cable:

Even the smallest Nanobass X4 is powered that way.

4 Likes

While that looks like a BG-75, even on their own website it still shows the DC barrel connector. I can’t even find that pic looking at various retailers. I did see the IEC connector on a Cub Pro or something recently, but it was on the back. That looks super weird on the side/top like that (the BG-75 also has feet on the opposite side of that handle).

that would be a terrible design choice to add a power connector in that spot o.O (well kinda. the rear is dominated by a bass radiator…)

EditI found it on Thomann. Well okay.

3 Likes

Looking at Thomman - Phil Jones combos are cheap there and shipped than buying in states (at least to NY.

3 Likes

I did a quick demo of my JBL party box 100. On the JBL website they are going for $300. Definitely a great bluetooth speaker and being able to play bass through it is a nice bonus.

7 Likes

Nice free weights rack and bench. Jealous of the space to have one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice! This is very similar to my setup. The only difference is that I use some type of multi fx pedal to shape my tone on the monitor/speaker. Mainly amp and cab sims.

Not sure if you are using one, but you can use a Zoom B1 Four on battery. You go wirelessly into that and plug the pedal in the JBL. That way you can use more bass sims and effects. Just a thought :wink:

Also great fitness room. I’m jelly too!

4 Likes

I was plugged directly into the speaker just to demo. It would be cool to have a battery powered multi fx pedal.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. It’s my favorite part of my house.

4 Likes

I went and tried a Phil Jones Cub Pro today - holy holy cow these things are amazing.
Now I just have to sit here and wait to be overcome with GAS to buy one.

Although I would like to try the BG-75 first and see if that is all I need for small scale playing.

4 Likes

Those cubs are amazing. I got a first generation cub and I am still really happy with that purchase. The one I got packs 100 watts and is my go to amp for practicing at friends or even playing in small veneus.

The new ones do sound better. I got the new C2 cabs and they sound a bit fuller. Not sure if they updated the double four. I would be curious too, but I think the new PJ nano could be similar in specs so maybe they won’t update the double four at all? @itsratso has one too.

3 Likes