Mini Bass Amp

The nanobass sounds amazing, but it is (on bass) slightly volume limited. Might not work in a band practice setting, maybe it would. For solo practice its perfect. And it would be a whole diff story if you were running something else through it like a guitar. Pretty sure it has the latest speaker in it.

3 Likes

There are a lot of good replies here! It seems like a lot of guitar amp recommendations. I’ve heard online that it’s not good for the amp to play bass through a guitar amp. Do you guys disagree?

3 Likes

Not really, depends on the amp and what the speaker’s specs are. In general bass amps need more watts, but as long as you’re happy with the volume who cares. Some speakers are full range like the pjb’s and you can run any source through it including vocals.

2 Likes

So if I have a 10 Watt amp with a 6 inch speaker and crank it to max, for an hour or so, the speaker will survive? I am not so sure that will be a good thing :thinking:

Maybe someone who uses a guitar or acoustic amp can give us their thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure my BG-75 docs even mention this when talking about the aux input. I certainly run synthesizers through mine.

The Positive Grid stuff should be FRFR as they would (or should) have bass amp models, too. And tbh, if they are “guitar amps” with super small/cheap speakers they probably aren’t great for guitar either (but they can be).

I’ve been told a lot to not play bass through guitar speakers because the speakers can’t handle the low frequencies. And that is probably correct. But as long as the speakers aren’t pushed into the dangerous sort of distortion that will rip them apart or melt the voice coils from too many watts being crammed into them, it is very likely okay.

I worked in a music store that had a lot of guitar combos in the pedal section and they didn’t want to open up any of the slightly more expensive bass combos for it, and we never lost any guitar amps due to bass players using them to test pedals.

4 Likes

Generally speaking it’s not a good idea to use a bass on a guitar amp. Unless the speaker is full range and suited for any instrument I would avoid playing bass on a guitar amp. You can use a guitar on a bass amp, but I think guitar speakers are better optimized for high freq and bass speakers for low freq.

I personally would consider the Spark if you just want a little practice amp for both instruments.

3 Likes

I agree, but a lot of speakers (i’m thinking of frfr here) would probably be considered “guitar amps” by most people and would work just fine. Bass waves are huge and slow and you need to be able to generate a lot of air movement to recreate them. So the speaker cone has to move in and out a great deal to do this (or be really large, or both). If it can’t you wont get a lot of bass frequency. This can easily be seen on a frequency response graph which is almost required in good home speakers but not provided much in musician amps. The other factor is if the speaker isn’t well built this cone movement (excursion) can physically damage the speaker if it’s smacking into the mounting brackets. Bottom line is what is the speaker’s frequency response listed as and is it well manufactured.

If it’s built to handle it, sure. I have a single little 4" speaker with 50 watts, you wouldn’t think it would be able to handle a bass but mine does just fine. But it’s made to do so.

3 Likes

JBL runs all of their speakers at full volume for 24 hours as part of the QA process. Or at least they say they do.

2 Likes

You could ask them, but they probably won’t hear you.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s gotta be a rough room to work in.

Apparently they do it because speakers take some use to break in. New speakers sound better over time.

Which is funny; the majority of guitar and bass combo amps sold likely never hit that threshold and get fully broken in. At least not on their first owner, unless that owner plays every day and has few neighbors :slight_smile:

I have a Genz Benz Acoustic amp and Genzler acoustic pro, both have XLR, Effect and phantom power built in. Both are popular with electric Upright basses crowd, I’d imagine that both can handle low frequency pretty well. Vocal range can dip as low as bass range.

@Glitch Spark actually advertise that their amp can be used with bass even with the Mini. If you use it with headphone or as an interface it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

oh right, so @Glitch if you do go Positive Grid, sign up for their newsletter, they are constantly sending me $10 and $30 off discount codes, etc.

1 Like

hoo boy i hate to even delve into this. there is a guy that manufactures speakers who did a study on this and he found that no physical changes occur after (i don’t remember the exact time) minutes, not days. but any pseudo science “audiophile” will tell you that this is clearly wrong and that they can clearly hear the difference in a speaker’s sound improvement after a couple of days compared to fresh out of the box. of course, what is actually happening is that the person is getting more used to the sound of the speakers, i.e. their ears are breaking in and not the speaker. but you can’t argue religion with people and they know what they know, even when they don’t know. as for jbl i would imagine two things are going on: 1. making sure their speakers are manufactured to go all out without breaking, and 2. marketing, to appeal to the “speakers need to break in crowd”, - “hey we’ve already done it for you” :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well that’s what I believe as well, it’s mere deduced from the lack of a big sign and double bag warning from any speakers I ever bought.

Same goes to the biggest food myth the MSG, there are wild claims from numbness to hair loss, if that were true , it would have been a #1 ban substance on FDA list.

Back to the speakers, it’s funny that throughout their lives at my house, the loudest level ever played on most of them are the first day. Like everyone else I need to know how loud it would get on my system, the rest of the time it’s coasting at a comfortable listening level, lol.

1 Like

Yeah I easily believe this is BS too, just passing on JBL’s practice and the stated reason I read.

MSG is fantastic, people that avoid it are missing out.

2 Likes

When eaten, Msg breaks down onto a substance actually manufactured in the human body.

1 Like

I actually take relatively large quantities of glutamine as a supplement anyway :rofl:

2 Likes

I will never ever ever quote fox news again.

1 Like

I can’t even make myself click the link :rofl:

1 Like

Oh Man! Spark mini delay til 2nd week of June :frowning:

On the bright side the DJI Mavic Mini Pro just release today and Papa just ordered one with the fly more combo. It weights about the same as cheese Omelet but so good. I got started with the Spark(drone) and own pretty much every Mavic they made. This one doesn’t require any registration, it’s crazy for a drone that can do 12 Km range.