Mini Bass Amp

First off you are so wrong and DO need a membership in the AMA in the US and MAAC in Canada to fly unmanned radio controlled aircraft, which includes drones.
Most countries have similar requirements for membership in government controlled organizations.

The 12km range is not going to do you any good when you have to fly with visual contact at all times of your craft and at an altitude not exceeding 400’ in the US.

In Canada you need to be a member of MAAC AND a club member with an authorized air space and you must fly within the rules of each.

Your MAAC membership number and phone number also needs to be on the drone.

In the US you have similar rules controlled by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and FCC.

A membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics covers you for whatever you fly and wherever you fly. And it doesn’t matter if you fly an airplane, helicopter, park flyer, multirotor, quadcopter, sUAS, FPV, DIY drone or even an aerial robot.

I am a member of MAAC and the Central Ontario Glider Group and would NEVER think of flying without consent from the proper authorities. Accidents do happen.

If you lose control of your drone who is going to pay for the damages and there have been cases where people have been killed. Insurance is one of the benefits of MAAC and the AMA.

So if you are in the US the fact is you do need to be a member of the AMA and follow their rules. :+1:

1 Like

@Al1885 don’t forget you also need a fish license. You know for your pet fish ‘Eric’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3B-ssC5j0

4 Likes

Not true. Laws maybe different in Canada but not in USA. You don’t need to be a member of AMA to fly a hobby drone in the USA. AMA is not a governing body in USA, FAA is and it said on their website that regardless of what AMA said, so save the $75 annual membership cost.

The only thing that you are required beside a following a good practice offered by organization like AMA, is to register your drones, If your drone is 250 gram or less it doesn’t need to be registered that’s why DJI makes such a big deal about putting big 249 gram on the the drone (battery) FAA requires you to register any drone that weights 250 grams of more.

Yes I know and practice line of sight, but the 12km range is optimum condition anyways, out in the middle of the dessert no signal interference. Real world is going to my much less. The main reason I point to the reference is that my first drone the Spark at almost twice the weight does maximum 2km range.

Dustin Dunnill is quite famous of running max range in Hawaii because he sends them out to the ocean.

I do share your concern, all my drones are registered and the FAA numbers are displayed on each one. When I fly I practice safety and follow the drone pilot rules. In the city is line of sight only. I hated when people in the area would fly their Walmart drones in the area one fell on my roof. It’s very dangerous kids are playing

@Barney :rofl::joy::rofl:

“They can pinpoint a purr at 400 yards!”

1 Like

Interesting.

When I attend LSF (League of Silent Flight) contests in the US AMA membership is always required.

My interest is primarily Sailplanes and when you are controlling a 12’ wingspan model aircraft via radio control things can get a bit stressful at times.

Belonging to a club, which in Canada does require MAAC membership, is the only way to go if not just for the liability insurance alone plus, like playing Bass, you are socializing with like minded people.

For those interested, here’s a a page from the US FAA regarding recreational unmanned aircraft flight.

Talk about a topic being derailed :rofl:
This is really not the place for this.

1 Like

^this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yesterday I got to try out the PJ BG-75.
I would say this is the best darn mini amp I have tried, and ya, it costs a lot ($100 less vis Thomman to US though than cost locally).
But, for me, it was not robust enough for what I am looking for, and am considering the Cub Pro 120 instead.
Why? - the sound is strikingly better (again, cost, at double the cost of the BG-75, it should), and I could use it for shelpping to a quieter practice with say a guitarist etc (prob not a drummer too unless playing quietly), but with an extension cab output I sure could lug my bigger cab too.
If fits from almost mini practice amp to small gig amp very well.
It also has serious B string boom vs. the BG-75.

PJ does amazing things - but you do pay for it/them.

3 Likes

They are also build to last. You see them a lot at NAMM shows too. Perfect for booths.

I love the new version of the cub with the cab extension option.

1 Like