Post Your Bass Lines for Feedback! (time sensitive)

Hey all, I’m working on a video about how to improve a bass line, and I need your help.

I’d love to give my constructive feedback on some real-life student bass lines - and it could be yours!

If you feel brave and want some feedback, here are the rules:

• Needs to be an original bass line, not a cover song with an existing bass line (this is about bass line writing, not technique/execution)
  • Preferably a song that doesn’t have an existing bass line, like a bass-less play-along track, an original song, or a cover where you’re adding original bass
  • I need a video of you playing it, production quality doesn’t matter as long as I can see you and hear your bass and the track decently well (face in video optional, if you’d like to be relatively anonymous)
  • Doesn’t need to be long, 1 to 2 minutes is plenty
  • Submit your video by uploading to Youtube or Vimeo and posting the link in this thread
  • If I use your video, a clip of it will appear in a BassBuzz Youtube video, and your fame will reach even the outer edges of Valhalla :beers: :zap:

Deadline for submissions is June 19.

I’m not sure exactly how many I’ll use in the video, but at least 3, maybe as many as 5 depending on how long I need to yammer for each one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to hearing your bass lines!

15 Likes

Now I got something to do :smiley:

4 Likes

@odin it’s up to you! I have taken the frost bridge to the outer realm. Heimdall keeps watch over us all. SKOL

6 Likes

Just to be clear: Are we allowed to be “headless” bass players for the video? I don’t mind showing my face here which is in theory public but on a bassbuzz video on yt? I’m not sure I would be comfortable with that.

4 Likes

This is harder than I thought. I’ve been trying to think of songs that don’t have any bass at all, also not counting songs that use the lower guitar strings but every bloody song I play has bass!

I could try and do a backing drums track and jam about to create something I guess

6 Likes

I’ve started working on mine! I haven’t written my own music in YEARS. This is actually already a super valuable exercise whether I manage to finish it, record it, and post it or not.

5 Likes

This needs a pin! :pushpin:

6 Likes

Yes, headless is totally fine!

Thanks Eric, done!

5 Likes

not sure if I’ll have the time (because I’m moving right now) but I may have some lines to show.

7 Likes

@JoshFossgreen

Just to check, it’s ok if I select a song that hasn’t got any bass at all and put my own on it, yes? As in, it’s a song I haven’t created but I have created the bass line for it. That’s ok?

5 Likes

Yep, that’s good!

3 Likes

Great, thanks. Still hunting for a suitable one!

3 Likes

Ok, a fairly messy version of Hurt, by Johnny Cash, if it’s any use.

9 Likes

If that needs to be credited due to the youtube content policies it also needs to be credited to Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor (as Johnny covered it too :slight_smile: ).

I like the idea of adding a bassline to it!

2 Likes

@howard

Yeah, when I uploaded it, it mentioned about the copyright and that the video can’t be used for monetary reasons as well.

Every time I hear it I always think it should have a little bass on it, but hey ho :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this is probably “perfect” from what I gather @JoshFossgreen is looking for! Well done, @quadfather!

3 Likes

Haha, what timing! I was just working on a bass line, and looking to share it here. I was working on chord progressions, and stumbled into something that was supposed to be Am Am C Em, but my C ended up C Phrygian, which is an Ab :man_shrugging: I have an audio snippet, but maybe can find time this week to do a quick video.

10 Likes

Thanks @quadfather, that’s perfect!

@Alterationx10, that sounds great, and video would be helpful since listening to audio with no video makes people on Youtube go :zzz:

3 Likes

YES! Challenge accepted! Man, I’m haulin nads straight to GuitarCenter for new strings once this graveyard shift ends. Stoked!

3 Likes