Post Your Bass Lines for Feedback! (time sensitive)

nicely played @gcancella , and I like how the pickup looks on your Precision, is it a Filtertron ? looks a bit like a Cabronita Bass with a classic pickguard

4 Likes

That was nicely played. Very clean and the bass tone is great.

4 Likes

Riiiight? Shocks me every damn time, and it’s my dang job.
It gets easier the more you do it, so never stop.
Also, that line is super cool. Reminds me of a groovy spy number (or three) I love by They Might Be Giants.
Well done.

4 Likes

I was afraid you were going to go there :grin:

Here is another part of the same song, where there is a lead voice also:

7 Likes

I know surprisingly little about this bass, it’s a custom build made by a store here in Lisbon called Junk Music Store, which specializes in creating frankenbasses and frankenguitars from dead basses/guitars parts

Here’s the description of it from their site

JMS Vintage Master Color:Gloss Black

Body Material:Alder
Body Shape:Jazz Bass
Neck Material:Maple
Neck Shape:Modern “C”
Scale Length:34" (864 mm)
Fingerboard Rosewood
Number of Frets:20
String Nut:Synthetic Bone
Bridge Pickup: Alnico vintage
Neck Pickup: Alnico vintage
Controls:Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Bridge: Heavy duty 4 Saddle Bass
Pickguard: Black 3 ply.

It’s super weird, you practice a line several times before recording and from the moment you turn the camera on here comes Mr. Murphy and his laws… :joy:. The same happens when I’m trying to show a line to a friend or my girlfriend.

Thank you all for your kind words!

4 Likes

A story about recording (video)
“Hey, I’m nailing this one. Let’s record.”
A few hours later
“I am not nailing this one at all.”

1 Like

I get this even for recording tracks in my DAW, where I can just edit out the LOL bits.

1 Like

Ahaha so true. We should get an assistant to be Johnny-on-the-spot regarding recordings

Same. Even when I’m just recording something trivial through my Wiretap pedal that nobody will listen to ever.

It would be interesting to watch some of @JoshFossgreen’s bloopers

2 Likes

Ah yeah, definitely. I can play this funk bassline in my sleep as I use it to warm up. I know every single bloody note, the rhythm, everything.

Soon as I record it - twang, pop, missed note, the lot.

6 Likes

wow, love this ! I could do this for a living :star_struck:

5 Likes

That’s an awesome idea.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how the timezones play into the deadline and originally I didn’t intend to make a bass line for my composition but I’ll try to record something tomorrow for the hit song “I’m fixing my shield” (hit song according to my role playing group lore :wink: - I don’t think I’m that good)

3 Likes

Another entry! After dozens of takes, I had to select one. My left hand is exhausted from the stretch and you can see flying fingers all over :joy:. Also there are some timming issues :relaxed:

This one I started composing during the pandemic and is aptly called Pandemonium. It sounds better live and if you’re hiding out of my sight, I promise

11 Likes

@gcancella

Love it! and I know exactly what you mean about multiple takes - tell me about it :smiley:

That’s reminding me of something. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

In fact, it reminds me of a track that was used in the original Doom game on the PC.

Dammit, now I’m going to have to find it!

4 Likes

BFG Division?

1 Like

I’m thinking earlier from the original Doom game in 1994. It’s really bugging me now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahaha sorry :smiley:

3 Likes

@gcancella

No problem! Gives me something to do :slight_smile: Plus, I quite like the old Doom tunes. Might give one a go, just for a laugh!

So many basslines, sooooo little time

3 Likes

Thanks @gcancella, those are both great!

Thanks for the new section @joergkutter, that gives me more to work with, good stuff!

Haha, it’s mostly just me swearing :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

My humble effort

Not sure if this qualifies as a bass line, but this is what I came up with

8 Likes