Post your covers! (2019-2022)

The first point is being sure that you don’t remove too much or the original track. That’s not so easy. A simple trick : try to adjust your EQ settings on the original track after you’ve done your mix, to try to correct this trebly character. What can happen is that you realize that you used to cut too much frequencies at first.

(all this is about mixing and not mastering, by the way)

4 Likes

That was great @EK_Bass, really liked your tone on this! May all your Christmas wishes come true :beer:

3 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13!!... The last band I played in (still fill in for) has 3 lead guitar players that all love playing this song. They would each take turns playing lead sections of the song - sometimes sections would go for what seemed forever, and all requested (required) that I play a solid walk up bass riff to lead into each of their solo sections…. No one playing other than myself during those walk ups…Everything else was just a lock in beat with the drummer during each solo with the other guitarists playing rhythm…. DYNAMITE!! Very cool…

It is a fun song to play even though it would get monotonous at times. We had one lead guitar player that played for over 20 years in a “Stones” tribute band out if New York…. Damn, he was GOOD!! Even looked like Keith Richards….

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

I too wish I was as good as @terb in this aspect…. He’s really a genius at this…. All I can ever do with the equipment I have to work with is just EQ out what I can in the lower end of originals and just go with it…… All fun!!:grin::grin:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

I was going to suggest this. It’s difficult to avoid removing too much and shifting the EQ balance to be too trebly, even with tools like RX or Deeter/Moises/etc (which are effectively an advanced automatic parametric EQ). However, you can likely work on it with EQ and compression afterwards to both tame the highs and also bring back up some of the lows. Fixing the kick drum is probably very hard though.

I have a multiband doubletracking plugin that I was thinking would work well too. basically, leave the highs as-is (after taming with EQ) but double-track just the low mids and mids on that track to bring them out more.

It’s moot for me since I don’t use backing tracks, but might be an interesting approach.

5 Likes

well done @Ek_Bass
You may want to repost it here…

4 Likes

Nicely done @Ek_Bass !
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe i will

2 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

Seems Im getting used to weekly Saturday covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8zXmkQt9FI

For you that dont read video description.
Gear used:

• Fender Player Series Jazz Bass
  • Universal Audio Volt 1
  • Amplitube 5
  • Lalal.ai for removal of original bass

Amp sim:

• SVX-4B
  • SVX-212 AV
  • Fender Compressor
10 Likes

How you liking it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s nice,

has simple DAW, excellent for recording covers.
Plenty of amp/cab/mic/room/pedals sims.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty happy for $99. I’m using it mostly for guitar amps though; so far sticking with Kuassa for bass.

4 Likes

Great cover @Growl…. Great playing, and I love the tone - sort of gives that song a mysterious essence…

4 Likes

Thanks mate.

Btw does anyone else notice how my body is always hopping around in 16ths?

4 Likes

To close the loop on #32 there, the guy has pulled all of his auctions for it (he had several up; more than one on ebay, one on Yahoo, one on Mercari, etc…). None sold. It’s possible he had a private sale, but really the thing seemed kind of fishy. His Mercari account did not have good reputation either.

All in all I am glad I passed on it last summer.

As cool as a double-P would be, and as rare as the J2 is, I’m happy with my SBV-550. I mean, I wouldn’t mind a SBV-800MF, but I’m not dying for one.

(And of course I immediately found one for sale after posting that, but at close to $800 more than I spent for my SBV-550… nope :rofl:)

2 Likes

Really enjoying them, smooth playing, love all the slides and the funky groove on this

4 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate it :heart:

3 Likes

Most funky @Growl ! As well as definitely being in the pocket your obvious knowledge of the fretboard and ability to comfortably get around the neck shines through

4 Likes