Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice one!

2 Likes

OK,ā€¦ So Iā€™ve been working on a cover for Aerosmithā€™s ā€œDream Onā€ and finally got the notes and timing down to a gnats assā€¦ All good,ā€¦ but when I go to play it ā€˜open ampā€™ ( I always practice with a headset), it sounds like pure SHIT poured through a plugged up Mr Coffee filter that has over-flowed all over the damn kitchen counter and is now dripping all over the floor for the gahdamn dog to track all over the frigginā€™ house making a mess and spreading the smell to all corners of god knows where!

Iā€™ve tried equalizing, Iā€™ve tried filtering, but the bottom line is, although the bass line that Tom Hamilton put together is really cool, the song was written (by) and made for Steven Tyler to shineā€¦ As such, although I can play the song well, in my opinion itā€™s just NOT a great coverā€¦ at least for me for now.

I may (or may not) put it out there to show ā€œtimingā€ on the bass lines ( the bass line notes and timing are challenging in certain areas), but the song (like many of Aerosmithā€™s) are Steven Tyler vocal focused and as such, hide much of the talentā€™s of the other band members (other than maybe Joe Perry)??..??..

All I know is that Hamiltonā€™s melodic riffs, combined with his rocker style chugging made for a great song!!..

Maybe I can find a ā€œNo Vocalsā€ track that can be played to??? Probably wouldnā€™t be as effective (especially when Tyler goes high and Hamilton hits the low ā€œEā€™sā€ā€¦ Just wouldnā€™t be the same I guess.

Bottom line, some songs make good bass coversā€¦ some songs just donā€™t - no matter how good the song may have beenā€¦ Just my takeā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™
Lanny

3 Likes

After a description like that, I really want to hear it! :rofl:

5 Likes

+1
@Lanny - we need to get calibrated for this level of SHIT :rofl:

5 Likes

@eric.kiser, @joergkutter - should have it ready sometime soonā€¦ Just taking a break and on hold for now until the damn arthritis in my plucking hand eases up a bit over the next day or two.

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

3 Likes

@Lanny You mean you played a Rap song?

4 Likes

:rofl: + :joy: + :metal:

2 Likes

Dang, @Lanny. Arthritis is rough. I just got my mom to start trying CBD oil for hers but itā€™s still new and the verdict is out on how effective it is. Nothing else has helped so she finally decided to give it a try. Hereā€™s hoping things get better soon.

2 Likes

Soundcloud is irritating.

3 Likes

@howard, and thatā€™s why I load all my stuff to my personal website serversā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

1 Like

@eric.kiser - Was thinking about Trying CBD oil, and have tried just about everything else (legal in GA) thatā€™s on the market to no availā€¦ Hopefully it will work for your mom - let me know if it works pleaseā€¦ In the meantime I just ease the pain withā€¦ (use your imagination and fill in the blank), and just deal with swollen knuckles and joints until it goes awayā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

3 Likes

Dear Lanny, I have found, through various friends and trials, that eating (as opposed to smoking) is much better at bone/muscle pain relief. Donā€™t buy consumables! Overpriced tosh most of it. Iā€™d advise making yr own cookies, cakes etc. The sugars tend to carry the ā€œessentialā€ ingredients to the bloodstream, and thereby the pain areas much quicker. Iā€™d go in depth but this is a Bass Forum. My son has wicked recipes, if you want I can ask him for a guide to temperatures.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s Ultimate Groove Workout peeps?

1 Like

youā€™ll know very soon if you continue the B2B course :grin:

2 Likes

Ah ok thanks terb.

I was just watching your vids in the ā€˜post your coversā€™ thread btw, and very much enjoyed them.
Impressive stuff :+1:

2 Likes

Oh and whereabouts in France are you?

1 Like

Iā€™m near Valence, in the north of the south :laughing:

1 Like

Ah cool. Iā€™ve been through there a couple of times - I used to go to the Bol dā€™Or at Ricard every September throughout the 1980ā€™s.
Sorta Lyon, Valence, Montelimar, Orange, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence kinda way.
Generally went east of there though, over the Alpes Maritimes (Grenoble, Gap, Sisteron etc) but did go the Valence way a time or two.
I love France, and I love the south particularly. I envy you living there !!

1 Like

Thanks @muff. I donā€™t smoke or vape anything at allā€¦ Edibles have always been my choice and are all ā€˜home-madeā€™ā€¦ I typically only revert to that choice when I cannot achieve relief through OTC options. They do work for me, but I always have to make sure that Iā€™m not involved in any of my other hobbies such as gunsmithing and ammo buildingā€¦

I am much better today, but no bass plying for the next few days since my wife and I are packing up the motorhome for a few days of travel to a couple different Georgia State parks to do some fall season hiking and to enjoy some of the colors (and cool weather) of the fall.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget to do a feature on ammo building in the ā€˜off topicā€™ chat when you get back :wink:

Have a nice break :v:

3 Likes