Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I canned my account with them when they deleted my first cover last year. Made a new one later to post fragments of stuff but it is really iffy for full covers.

They haven’t detected copyright on any bits of the from-scratch covers I do, though. Youtube did immediately, though it didn’t matter due to their publisher copyright deals for things like that. However if they did not have a publisher deal in place it wouldn’t have worked.

In the end there is no 100% guaranteed way to do this other than a specific use agreement you make with the publisher. Even hosting on your own site could land you a C&D from the publisher and potentially a lawsuit. Of course, a band would need to be remarkably aggressive to sue its own fans, but still, it could happen.

4 Likes

Hey Everyone…
After watching @JoshFossgreen Josh’s Root/Fifth video last month, this tune came to mind so I ran it through Fender’s Chord Tracker app and came up with this cover. May not be for everyone, but it’s fun to play and a favorite of mine. Hope you like it!

22 Likes

Relatively quick tempo on that! Nice work.

9 Likes

Nice playing @JerryP. Very relaxed as always.
I recognised the tune for some reason but can’t place it ?

7 Likes

Hey Jerry, sounds good mate. :smiley: I’m finding the 5th thing really handy too, especially because I use a 5 string so I’m using the low 5th as well .Sounds nice.

8 Likes

Thanks @russki98 @howard @Mac.
@Mac, not sure where you recognized from? It’s just an old song from my youth. Herb Alpert and TJB were very popular in the '60’s.

9 Likes

excellent work @JerryP , I really like your relaxed and consistent groove

8 Likes

Merci, Laurent.

9 Likes

Good work @JerryP. I actually love that song (and Herb Alpert in general)

6 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs Pam! I have another HA & TJB in the works.

5 Likes

Very nice!
Very well played, @JerryP
Just wanted to post this, because this is a song by Nat Adderly, killer trumpet player and brother to Cannonball Adderly, and their quintet is maybe my favorite quintet ever. With either Bobby Timmons or Joe Zawinul.
Here’s their take on the same tune. Not as cinematic as the TJ Brass, but dannnnnnnng does it crush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmwsQ_dHrFM

7 Likes

Oh man that was great! I assume there is more of the quintet on YouTube?
And thanks for the kind words about the cover. It means a lot to me.

5 Likes

Tons. Look up Cannonball Adderly Quintet. Great albums, great recordings, great videos await!

4 Likes

Hi Jerry, @JerryP,
Another great cover, nice tone, very relaxed and sounded really cool with the Brass.
Enjoyed watching and listening :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian!

3 Likes

Very cool @JerryP! Perfect example of how far R/5th can get you. As straightforward as that line seems to be, it is a fun, playful, bluesy, bassline that I can dance to… what else do you need if you have that right? Great job, sounds like a fun song to play along with.

5 Likes

Thanks @BassFaceDisgrace. It was lots of fun to play.

5 Likes

I’m working on another from-scratch cover. This one is taking a while as we get the guitar parts sorted, so I thought I’d post it as a work in progress. It’s about 2/3 done. Still needs the guitar parts added (you’ll note some long stretches with just bass and synth that feel like something is missing :slight_smile: )

This is a cover of Procession by New Order, one of their best songs in my opinion, from the period when they were transitioning from Joy Division to New Order after Ian Curtis’ suicide. Definitely a fun one to get my Hooky on with.

Me on bass and synths, also drum and vocaloid programming. Same vocaloid I used for the “Down in the Park” cover, with different vocal parameters and effects on the voice.

Not super happy with the mix yet. A bit too much compression on the vocaloid I think as well.

Once the guitars go in and with a bit more mixing I think this will be nice.

Sounds are:
TRBX 604 -> Carl Martin Opto-Comp -> EHX Bass Clone -> EBS ValveDrive, with some filter and effects in DAW
Kilohearts Phase Plant for the synths, a few different patches in there, I made one of them from scratch.
Synthesizer V, Eleanor Forte Lite soundbank for the vocals, filtered, compressed, and reverbed in the DAW
Zoom RT-223 for the drums, heavily processed with Kilohearts transient shaping, compression and reverb in the DAW

All mixed down in Reaper.

8 Likes

@howard
Nice work- your production skills are definitely apparent. Would love to hear this with real vocals, but the digital version gives you options to keep creating. (And I know over time that tech will just continue to get better) Definitely post an update once you get guitar track

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes