Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Been a fair few weeks since I posted a cover (or anything, actually). So, here’s a very quick n’ dirty cover of Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?”

• Serek Midwestern 2;
  • RME Fireface UC;
  • Reaper.

https://youtu.be/aaT_3HQ8f4M

21 Likes

Killer! Just threw it a like.

4 Likes

Thanks. Glad you could see it. I have a “Blocked in Some Countries” email just come in from the 'Tube …

4 Likes

Absolutely nailed it @sfadams :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Great job @sfadams!

4 Likes

great cover @sfadams ! played with a few early attacks but also with a lot of energy, that’s what we expect for this kind of song :grin:

6 Likes

Very nice @sfadams

4 Likes

Excellent cover! Huge bonus points for the epic mean mugging bass face you stare down the camera with during those two parts where you nail those intricate riffs.

5 Likes

Great attitude in your playing @sfadams,
Plenty of getting around the fret board.
Nice work​:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hell yes @sfadams !

5 Likes

I love the cover Jerry!

4 Likes

Thanks @Conor. Are you a fan of The Beatles?

5 Likes

I am indeed, Taxman is on my shortlist of songs to learn :smiley:

3 Likes

OK BassBuzzers… it’s that time of year again for Holiday songs so I did this cover for the season.
I transcribed this myself using Transcribe! and Yamaha’s Chord Tracker. If I made any errors in the transcription, please let me know. Also, let me know about the audio mix. I had a concern or two about it, but I went with it anyway. Enjoy!

14 Likes

Great cover @JerryP
Mix sounds fine here.

4 Likes

+1

3 Likes

Whipping Post Bass Cover - 1969 Allman Brothers Band

I recorded this cover about three weeks ago…

https://youtu.be/nC-QOLkLd2w

This is one of my all time favorite songs by the Allman Brothers Band. It was released in 1969, and not long before the death of guitarist Dwayne Allman who was killed when he wrecked his motorcycle on a street in Macon Georgia. Almost a year later, Dwayne’s close friend and bassist Berry Oakley would also loose his life on his motorcycle not far from that same Macon Georgia intersection.

The band was known for its unique use of not only two lead guitarist’s, but also two drummers. Their sound at the time was an eclectic mix of rock, blue eyed soul, jazz, and country – something that would soon come to be known as “Southern (or Country) Rock”.

This song hits home in a lot of ways for me. From my life growing up as a kid, then the time I spent in the military, to today as a retired American citizen.

When I decided to do a bass cover of this song I knew that I wanted to use one of my Precision Bass’s. My “Ocean Turquoise” Fender “P” was the perfect match – especially after I spent endless hours adjusting each string and each individual pickup in order to get that “Just Right” aggressive yet dark and moody tone that I wanted to match the songs groove… I even went so far as trying different types of strings (even flats), and finally decided that the DR “Pure Blues” Round Wounds were the perfect match for this song…. Enjoy! Any and all feedback is helpful and appreciated.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

Drink A Beer Bass Cover

https://youtu.be/SVJnXvKcrLE

This is my tribute Bass Cover Video to my old Submarine Engineman Brother Russ Bogar… We were both Engineman on an old dilapidated diesel electric submarine from 1971 – 1975 that operated off the coast of Vietnam, but were more involved in Cold War shit than Vietnam shit… We grew up together… We were only 18 years old when we were first stationed together on that old submarine…. Yet,…. within a year, we became old men…

“Keep the beer cold up there bro…. I’ll be there with ya again one of these days….”

About This Bass Cover

When I decided to record this bass cover, I wanted to play to a song that had a simple yet strong message. At first I thought the song would be a “Cake-Walk” since it really only had “Three chords and a story”… Boy, was I surprised once I started recording my bass line track and realized that my timing was all over the place, and with such a simple song, “Timing” is the one most important ingredient that makes the song what it is…

This song was originally recorded with pretty much just an acoustic guitar. Trying to play a bass line without the beat of a drummer is where I ran into trouble. You just cannot “Lock in” to a rhythm guitar and as such, my timing was microseconds one way or the other and the finished product suffered. I think I recorded 20-30 bass tracks and all were eventually trashed! This “Simple” song was taking it’s toll on my patience!

Eventually I decided to try using the built in metronome feature in GarageBand, and after 20-30 minutes found that 78 BPM worked spot on. Locking into the metronome was exactly what I needed to do in order to make this song work! Listening back, I then noticed that the rhythm guitar was micro-seconds off either way on the metronomes beat, but the muffled sounds of rhythm chords are not as timing noticeable as the single thumps of the bass notes…. A real “Eureka” moment!!

The original version was very light on bass since the emotional feelings of the song were expressed mainly in the vocal forward lyrics, backed by the simple strums of the rhythm guitar chords. I found that simple whole, half, and quarter notes were sufficient, and keeping with not much more than a “Root – Fifth” bass note structure was all I needed to play in order to accentuate the song with some solid effective bottom end – something that (in my opinion) was missing from the original recording.

Additionally, I decided to use two different bass’s for this cover which meant recording two separate audio and video tracks that could be spliced together into one single audio/video recording. The first half of the song is played using my Black and Gold Squire “P” bass that I upgraded with the original Fender Pick-Ups that I removed from my Turquoise Fender “P” bass when I upgraded the electronic Pick-Up’s to the Seymour Duncan “Quarter Pounders”. Both bass’s are equipped with round wound strings, with the Squire strung with Fender 45’s, and the Fender strung with DR’s Pure Blues strings.

Enjoy! All feedback is helpful and appreciated.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

10 Likes

Nice cover Jerry

4 Likes

@JerryP and @Lanny
awesome work gentlemen!

6 Likes