Post your covers! (2019-2022)

hey @JerryP , again a nice cover. I think I heard an early attack somewhere but no real issue. The mix is fine to me, nothing shocking at all.

5 Likes

nice cover Lanny / @Lanny , the bass is pretty light in the mix during the first part but I like the ā€œold schoolā€ tone. Also the timing is kinda unusual here, I had to listen carefully for a few second to understand it :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you @Mac, @sfadams, @PamPurrs, @bernds64 and @terb! Yeah, Laurent, I think I heard one too after the recording.

5 Likes

Yupā€¦ Took me awhile to figure it out myself. Thatā€™s when I decided to use a metronome with the song. Kinda put my bass more in time, but with the inclusion of bass notes into the mix, it may have had an impact on the actual timing of the strummed rhythm chords. When I tried playing without the metronome and using the rhythm guitar as my guide, the song sounded as if it was ā€œon and offā€ beat at times - actually sounded pretty much a jumbled messā€¦ Anyway, the original PUPS that I removed from the Fender ended up in the Squire which gave it a bit more tonal attitude and a lot more of that old school classic tone. What I was trying to show more than anything was the difference between the original Fender PUPS vs the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder PUPS with all controls (Onboard and Recording) set at the same exact levels.

The cool thing about having several different bassā€™s is having them all set up differently with different electronics and different strings (and sometimes different actions). The next thing I plan to do to the Black Squire is to change out the potsā€¦ Doing that should help with the control of both the tone and volume - and for a ten year old inexpensive buck-ninety-nine bass, once I do that, the damn thing will be playing and sounding just as good as my way more expensive Fender Pā€¦ Oh, ā€œHalf-Roundsā€ on the Squire P nowā€¦ Way coolā€¦ Chillinā€™ smooth!!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

5 Likes

Nice cover @Lanny
Very touching lyrics

5 Likes

Two great covers @Lanny Lanny! Classic Allman Brothers song always loved it when it played on the radio. ā€œDrink A Beerā€ is a new one for me, but very poignant lyrics. As always, the bass playing is brilliant on both. Thanks for those two.
:+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryPā€¦ The Allman Brothers Band were big names here in Macon GA, and both Dwayne and Gregg are both buried here alongside original bassist Berry Oakley. The house the band all lived in back in is now sort of a museum for them.

There were only a couple of their songs that I really liked - ā€œWhipping Postā€ and ā€œRamblinā€™ Manā€ā€¦ Wouldnā€™t mind doing Ramblinā€™ Man one of these days, but when I do Iā€™d have to uptune what ever bass I use to sharps since the song was recorded that way.

As for ā€œDrink A Beerā€, the song was written by Chris Stapelton before he became popular as his own singer and wrote many songs that other Nashville performers recorded - in this case Luke Bryant. Stapeltonā€™s original recording is really hard to play to since he has a sort of wild style of play on his acoustic guitar that is difficult to discern. My sub buddy who I have played and recorded with numerous times is trying to work out a revision that we can play to - probably in another key and possibly at a different speed.

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

6 Likes

Gday Bill @Lanny,
Another couple really cool coversšŸ‘Love the way you swapped out the basses in the song, can really pick the difference between the 2 bassesšŸ‘, nice production on the videos, these always add to the mix really nicely.
Keep on rocking,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice cover Santa, sorry Jerry, great to see you getting into the Christmas groove @JerryP.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/kaAWnwtbp2E

Not the best sound quality but itā€™s better than when I was using BandLab on my phone. Hope you enjoy. I know there was a couple of timing mistakes but overall I donā€™t think it was too bad. Iā€™m open to constructive criticism.

10 Likes

yeah sure the sound quality is much better than on your previous covers. about the sound quality, this one is good enough in my opinion : we can hear clearly the song AND your bass line.

about the bass playing, yeah as you already mentionned there are timing issues, but this is not an easy bass line at all. I bet this one has been a nice training !

congrats :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @terb. Iā€™ve come to rely on your feedback. You are a straight shooter so I appreciate your comments. To me, I could only hear a couple of timing issues, and they seemed to be from losing focus, did you hear too many? Or was it passable in your opinion?

6 Likes

Good job @Shane_Landen! I canā€™t add anything to what @terb has already mentioned.

6 Likes

Dittoā€¦

I give kudos to anyone who has the courage to post samples of their playing on here, in the hope of growing as a bass player. I also give kudos to those who give constructive criticism without patronizing. Learning and improving is what this forum and B2B is all about, and you cannot have growth without guidance, which often comes in the form of criticism.

9 Likes

@JerryP @PamPurrs
Thank you both for giving it a listen. I appreciate it. Iā€™m with you, Pam, even though itā€™s not face to face you are still putting yourself out there and that can make anyone nervous. Itā€™s how we get better though. Someone else may be hearing something that you arenā€™t, so itā€™s good to take that leap in order to grow as a bassist.

7 Likes

My only advice would be to take on an ā€œeasierā€ tune first and then build from there! Because, as @terb said, this is actually quite a tricky bass line and so when playing those fast motifs, timing issues (i.e., not playing totally in the groove) become very noticeable.

Or, perhaps, you could practice the bass line first only with a metronome (or a simplified drum track) and start slowly and then increase the bpmā€™s.

(I am making the same kind of mistakes, and should also get better at practicing with metronomes or drum tracks :grinning:)

9 Likes

Good call with the metronome. I just downloaded one but I havenā€™t been playing with it as much as I should. I do hear the contrast though when Iā€™m playing with it and when Iā€™m actually locked in and when Iā€™m off. Iā€™d like to figure out a better way to record so that I could use my headphones to hear the music better when Iā€™m playing along. That way I donā€™t lose my timing so much.

7 Likes

yes there are a lot of timing issues, and itā€™s not very surprising with such a complex and fast bass line. I think that @joergkutter gave you all the good advices :slight_smile:

that said I think itā€™s a good thing to play sometimes a technically challenging song. sometimes.

:grin:

8 Likes

My bass coach always pounds into my head the fact that rhythm (IE groove) is the number one job for a bassist. Mark Smith at TalkingBass mentions this also. Mark says, when learning a song, get the groove down first, then start working on what notes to play. My bass coach tells me that you can get away with playing the wrong notes occasionally, but youā€™ll be damned if you fall out of the groove.
My method when learning a new song is to listen to the song over and over, while tapping the beat on a table, then doing the same thing on my bass with just playing the root note to the beat. Once Iā€™ve got that groove nailed, then I move on to actually learning the song. Thatā€™s my method, YRMV.

10 Likes

I just took all of your advice and played with the metronome and it sounds so much better and is easier to keep time with. I keep losing the beat when I play with the song though when I canā€™t hear over what Iā€™m playing. Definitely a frustrating process but Iā€™ll keep at it.

6 Likes