Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@Shane_Landen yeah I posted it a while back. If you go to my last cover in this thread it will take you to the website where I post them all.
Here is the link to the website
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/category/lesters-music-videos/

And it was Buddy Holly and Say it ain’t so

5 Likes

I actually took the sight reading course at TalkingBass. About a third of a way through it I was able to look at a (simple) music sheet and start playing. I’m working on the more complex stuff now.
After I finished B2B I still hadn’t conquered Billy Jean. I went back and tried again, this time playing by notes instead of tab, and it was a piece of cake. To me, it’s easier to just look at a note and my fingers immediately know what to do, rather than think about “which string and which fret does that tab tell me to play?”

4 Likes

Both covers were really good. I like buddy holly a lot too but I haven’t tried to tackle that one yet. I’m noticing Weezer makes some great practice songs though. Fairly simple songs that are catchy, perfect for us that are trying to learn and advance.

6 Likes

Props to you. It’s really challenging to sit down and figure out what you’re doing. I just found that site myself and started working on some scales and arpeggios. I’m not sure why. I’m just a couple lessons away from those on here, but I got eager I guess. Bad habit of mine.

6 Likes

Nice job @Shane_Landen,
Man I am really impressed with your fingering technique, for someone who is a newby to playing, you have great technique and it’s so important to have good dexterity in your left hand👍.
That’s something that I always ensure I maintain in my playing :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

WOW! Some awesome playing in here this week!

9 Likes

Thank you, I’m glad my redemption song worked. I was nervous to post anything after my last one lol everything was constructive but it did lead to some self doubt so I’m really glad this one was better.

10 Likes

Should not be nervous Shane, @Shane_Landen, at least you are putting yourself out there👍
We are our own harshest critics, we see things that we think we could have done better , no one else see’s them.
I look back on some of my early posts and cringe🥴, but I also see how much I’ve improved in my playing and my confidence in front of the camera, you are doing an awesome job my friend, keep it going👍
Looking forward to seeing more from you, and some of the stuff you do with your work band as well.
Cheers Brian

9 Likes

@Shane_Landen @TNKA36 I agree with Brian here. It is all a part of growing musically . We are definitely our own worst critics and you are out there putting in the time and putting yourself out there kudos for that

6 Likes

Well done @Shane_Landen. Better choice on the song, as everyone else has mentioned. Keep up the good work!

7 Likes

Thank you, Jerry. It’s much appreciated.

6 Likes

Great cover @Shane_Landen
You certainly nailed the fingering on the neck and it isn’t a slow pace at all.
The “deer caught in the headlights “ feeling is totally understandable but I’m sure that you will get over that.

7 Likes

OK, @Shane_Landen - Shane’s cover is gonna be a tough one to follow, but I’ve gotta get this one outta my music cue and sent out so that I can move onto some more “productive”??, more “Classic Rock”??,… maybe just “More Me” type of music… :rofl:

My 2020 Christmas Cover

Please Come Home For Christmas is a 1960’s Christmas song written by American Blues singer and Pianist Charles Brown. The version I’m playing my bass cover to was one of the most popular versions done by the Eagles in 1978.

Although I do have a ton of Eagles guitar music from my years on the six string,… I had to use my ear to work this bass line out… A simple bass line, and one that I would consider a great “Learning Tool” for anyone wanting to move into transcribing their own bass lines for songs. Just so you know, I did not stick 100% to the original Timothy Schmit (Joined the Eagles during the 1977 “Hotel Claifornia” tour) bass line, but I had to do something to make it my own so did change it up in a couple spots.

Although the bass line in this song is very straight forward and simple, timing of the notes is SO damn important!! I won’t go into and detail as to how many times I had to re-record this cover, but let it be known that this one really “Kicked My ASS!”… Frustration (and a 5th of Single Malt) is all I can say…

Anyway, please ENJOY,… and as usual for all of my covers, truthfulness and open honesty go a long way with me… As for my own critiques, after listening to the cover on my computer, bass amp, headphones, and iPad,… I may have gone a bit over on the bass recording, and given that I have just replaced the pickups in the MiM Fender P with Seymour Duncan SP-3’s, I probably should have lowered the gain and volume a bit. Damn thin sounds KICK A$$ through the AMPEG BA-115 when played open amp though!!

Enjoy, and…
Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

9 Likes

@Lanny your video is blocked due to copyright

3 Likes

Thanks Pam @PamPurrs… That DAMN “ScrewTube”… What can I say… Just modified my post with a link to the video on one of my websites…

UPDATE: I changed the share setting on the video in YouTube - works for some but not others.

5 Likes

@Lanny Lanny great job brother! Love your diversity lately. People tend to think that just because a song has fewer notes or may not have all the frills in it that it isn’t difficult, but hey those songs require the best timing and clarity! Great job

4 Likes

@Lanny by the way nice production too!

4 Likes

So, so damn true Les @LesterH… It’s always good to take a few steps back in order to regain the true reasoning of why we pay the instrument we do… As a former guitarist, we were always out front… never fully understanding or appreciating the full concept of the bassist… Sometimes we (as bassists) get the (guitarist) head on to strongly and forget that the foundational base of any song is most important… Those few and simple low notes are the ones that the entire structure is built on… I LOVE the Bass!! I love those frequencies that resonate and make my blood flow… Something so simple can be so friggin effective!!

4 Likes

@Lanny Lanny guitar is great but I chose to play the bass because bass and drums create the rhythm. It is what makes us feel the music and move. When you lock in with the bass you can’t help but to groove with it

4 Likes

Hahaha… Connie had to go into the “Big City” today to get her drivers license renewed and with her out of the house, I was able to move all of my equipment into the Main Room - (we live in the country and don’t have “Living”, “Great”, “Romper”, “Formal”, “Guest”, “etc” rooms…). At least I got everything done and recorded before she came home…

4 Likes