Post your covers! (2019-2022)

thank you all :grin:

yes @howard the ODB-3 mod is really great. for the price of a used ODB-3 (roughly 50ā‚¬ here) and a few electronic components, itā€™s a must have. also itā€™s a really easy mod. the controls are still quite weird and strangely sensitive to the output level of the instrument, but anyway, I really like this pedal.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_NL,
Must be the light, I donā€™t have big bass player hands, the stretching has been something that I really focused on when I started playing first time around between 1989-1992. My bass teacher at the time (Stephen Oprey) made a point of focusing on this, you can check him out playing with ā€œThe Badlovesā€ or ā€œWeddings,Parties,Anythingā€ to get an idea of his playing stylešŸ‘
I only started playing bass again in March 2020 when Covid kicked in in Melbourne, and again I always focused on getting one finger per fret.
I think long term it can make it easier to get around the fret board and it builds dexterity and strength in all 4 fretting fingers.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see you playing a cover @Sp33dSnakr,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice work Howard @howard,
Your getting really nice tone especially down low on the Yamaha :+1:
Great production alsošŸ˜Ž
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice work Howard, loving the whole visuals and the production, sound and vocals,
Really coolšŸ‘
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice cover Laurent @terb,
Very grungy sound, not my kinda music but I appreciate your playing with the newly acquired beastšŸ‘
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Wow, so many well done covers coming in pretty much every day! Was very busy the last few days; hard to keep up with the frequency of new posts here :grinning:
@howard: looks/sounds like you are really enjoying yourself and improving at a breakneck speed now, both with playing, singing, and producing!! (Maybe I should start sending you stems for you to ā€œwhip into shapeā€!?!) :grin:
@terb: it is impressive how many covers you produce and how ā€œin commandā€ they all look to me! What is your turnaround time from seeing a song you like to having the cover wrapped up? Canā€™t be more than a few days :wink:
And I understand there are more covers in the pipeline from @JerryP and @PamPurrs, and I am sure @TNKA36 has a few up his sleeve as wellā€¦

Well done all!

6 Likes

Great advice :+1: Iā€™m trying to do that as well, but even though I definitely donā€™t have small hands, Iā€™m having difficulty stretching that far, especially on the lower frets.

Like @PamPurrs I have to microshift a lot, but that presents its own challenges. For instance, Iā€™m already starting the shift as Iā€™m lifting my fretting finger, which results in string noise. Also it results in little ā€œgapsā€ between the notes which I donā€™t like. Then again, I havenā€™t been playing as long as you guys, so Iā€™m sure it will get better with time and practice.

7 Likes

It depends. Often I like a song and I start noodling with a bass while the song is playing, and after a few times I say to myself that it could turn into a nice cover, and then I start to choose everything : the bass I will use, if I play the same bass line than on the original record or if I create my own, the tone I want for this particular song ā€¦

Sometimes itā€™s very easy, and it doesnā€™t take more than a few days. Sometimes itā€™s way more complicated and I play this song more or less every day for a few weeks before I consider Iā€™m fine to record it.

Often when Iā€™m ready to record a cover, I already know what will be the next one and I sometimes have 2 or 3 songs in the pipeline. For example, right now I know what will be my next cover ; I already chose the bass, the bass tone, and roughly the bass line for it :grin:

7 Likes

Hi Mike @Mike_NL,
Iā€™m confident that if you keep practicing you will look back in time and say how easy is thisā€‹:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Reading this from a confirmed player is strangely comforting :sweat_smile:
I was always wondering if my learning curve for new songs is too slow and it is really interesting to see how fast other people master new material :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thanks for the kind words (and thanks again to everyone else!)

These are fun. Both my bandmate and I are having a killer time with them.

7 Likes

not sure if you should ask yourself the question this way. after all, even if you learn your songs slowly, the important point is that you manage to learn them ultimately. also I strongly believe that, the more you play and learn songs (and covers are probably the more efficient and fun way to do this), the easiest and more natural it becomes.

conclusion : play, record and share covers ! if you doubt about yourself, you can simply choose easy songs, itā€™s perfectly fine and it will build some confidence around all this.

:metal::grin:

9 Likes

If only I could find me some easy songs I like :sweat_smile:

Just kiddingā€¦ I have a few difficult songs I try to include in my practice on a regular basis and I see some progress. I also realize that I need to be more focused to get them done, especially when Iā€™m having trouble with the song at full speed :grimacing:

I try to include some easier songs as well, simply because itā€™s comforting.

The recording part however is another thing. Maybe I should just give it a try using the simplest methods available without wanting to get everything right from the start :laughing:

7 Likes

you have to start somewhere :grin: and here again itā€™s the best way to learn how to record and mix a song, which is an important skill for a musician, in my opinion

6 Likes

Until recently, audio-only covers were perfectly acceptable in this thread. Now, of course, it is ā€œde rigueurā€ to have at least a green screen and a wind machine, such that you can appear to fly with Superman over Metropolis while playing bass!

Just kidding of course :rofl: Forget all about video for now and focus on the audio only!

13 Likes

:joy:

7 Likes

All I do is plunder WinAmp visualizers :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It will, I promise

4 Likes

How did you know I had a wind machine on order? :rofl:

6 Likes