Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I felt like I wanted to share something again - a sort of cover, where I have added a bass line to a previously recorded version of a song of the group I am in now (recorded before I joined). It’s again far from perfect (some mistakes, the “old” (inferior cough) bass is still audible here and there, and the vocals are still missing (hence, a bit repetitive), but, anyway, here it is:

PS: I don’t know what soundcloud did to me now - all my previous uploads seem to be missing and my username is now “user923370647” - what a drag! I probably need to do the webpage thing in the future, like @Lanny and @terb.

EDIT: Ah, it seems I have two accounts - thanks, Google!! :joy:

4 Likes

hey user923370647 ! :grin:

I like your bass line, it sounds more evolved than what you posted before, with some nice melodic variations here and there. that’s cool ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow that tone is gorgeous.

2 Likes

Thanks, @terb! I guess I am getting indeed more experienced!

Yes, absolutely, @howard - I am getting more and more fond of my Yamaha; the more I play it, the more I like it!

3 Likes

That sounds really nice, @joergkutter . . . :+1:

Well done! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Jazzbass19 :smile:

1 Like

Really sounds great @joergkutter! You most certainly are becoming one with that Yamaha! Excellent job!

2 Likes

Been 17 days since my last cover (Taxman) was completed and it’s been exactly 14 days since my pacemaker operation. I was told that I could not hang a bass off my shoulder, wash my hair, lift my arm any higher than my shoulder, lift anything more than 10 lbs, or take a full shower for 14 days. Today was the end of that 14 day period and By-Gahd it felt pretty damn good hanging the old Ibanez off the shoulder and putting together a quick cover! I’ve played this one before and since it’s a rather simple Bass line I thought it would be a good song to play in order to get back into the groove… It’s certainly not my best work, but it sure felt good to Thump out some bass notes!!

“Hey Joe” - Playing along with one of my favorite guitarists - Popa Chubby

6 Likes

Man that SR sounds great.

2 Likes

Thanks @howard!! It “Felt” great too!!

2 Likes

@joergkutter Dang, Man. Great job.

2 Likes

@Lanny Hell yeah. Good to see you getting back in the saddle.

1 Like

Rock on, @Lanny - must be the sweetest feeling to have come this far again in such a short time after the surgery! Now, nothing is gonna stop you… :smile:

2 Likes

@eric.kiser Thanks, man!

1 Like

For his next trick, @Lanny will take a wash. After just one more cover…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Joking aside; that was cool, and I can only imagine how good it felt to be back in the saddle.

Coincidentally, Hey Joe is at the top of my list for new covers - just as soon as I’ve back to where I was on the course 8 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Nicely played, @Lanny . . . :+1:

Glad to see you back in action.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hop on that horse @PeteP!! There are so many versions of that song being played and I originally wanted to play to the Hendrix version that I spent endless hours listening to back in the day but found that he was a bit harder to groove with. Pipa Chubby on the other hand makes it really easy to set a groove since he allows for a bit more space to set that groove and stick to it.

Now grab that bass and get to “Thumpin’!! :sunglasses::sunglasses:. Looking forward to hearing your groove!

2 Likes

Thanks Joe!! Stitches get pulled in two weeks so I should be at or close to 100% by then!

2 Likes

So what ya do when the college playoff game between Oklahoma and LSU is a complete blowout?? Make another cover!!

In this one, I’m playing the bass line to “Gimme Some Lovin” by the Spencer Davis Group using my Yamaha TRBX174EW Passive Bass since this particular bass really works well with the “Blue Eyed Soul” genre of this piece. This is a great song with a simple yet effective bass line groove. Timing and tone are the key elements in this piece, and string muting is a must in order to keep the notes clean - especially when playing with the nickel round wound strings on my 174. The Babitz bridge that I put on this bass also helps quite a bit (IMHO) - but then again, bass set-up is always a most important ingredient in playability and tonal qualities.

I believe that @terb had a great idea creating this thread months ago when we were going through the B2B course at the same time and it’s certainly grown quite a bit since then. What I’d like to do is try and add a little “History” to each each of mine since that is one of the biggest reasons I love playing bass to the ‘Classics’… SO… Here’s a little bit of music history that I found interesting…

This song was originally recorded and released in 1966, and written by Steve Winwood, Spencer Davis, and Muff Winwood, (Steve’s older brother), and also the groups bass player. Muff is also credited with producing the first Dire Straits album ‘Dire Straits’ in 1978.

7 Likes

Great @Lanny ! I love this song and it’s on my infinite cover list :smiley: very nicely played ! and very nice and appropriate bass tone. love it !

I like the little story/text with each cover, I try to do this too (more to explain how the things has been going with my cover/recording process for a particular song, but it could be also about the relashionship I have with a song, a band or even a musical style) and I find it’s a funny way to talk about some interesting points !

3 Likes