Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Man, I love that song. Great job Lanny.

1 Like

Great song and great cover, you were clearly having a blast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another great job, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

This track brings me right back to the late 60’s, and is one of the reasons I got interested in bass in the first place.

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Here is my last cover for the 2019 season, with some sludgecore from Arkansas

Sleuthfoot - A Little Suffering

I have some habbit of this kind of sludgy bass lines, but the biggest problem for me here was the tuning, because this song is in Drop-C (which is CGCF) or at least that’s the way I transcribed it. With the 45/105 gauge I have on the SBV, the strings tension is very low, barrely playable, and this requires a very precise control over the attack and finger pressure on the frets. I’m wondering how this kind of line will feel with the low-tuning dedicated bass I’m currently building, with huge 65/130 strings !

Fun fact : this song has been released very recently, only two weeks ago (dec 13 2019) :grin:

4 Likes

DAMN @terb!!.. You KILLED it!! The attack was friggin’ awesome! Not an easy song to play to at all. And to try with 65/130’s?? Damn man, that’s gonna be like bangin’ lows lower than whale shit dude!! Pickin’ notes on the suspension wires of the Golden Gate Bridge!!:rofl::rofl:

Anyway, LOVE the attack on this one, and… And damn man… No greenie??

3 Likes

haha thank you @Lanny ! you’re right, this kind of song is not so easy. the timing especially is very critical. There are some variations, a lot of “rebounds”, some tempo slow down, and the pattern is not always very logical to me (and that’s something I like).

Greenie was out of the game here : with 40/100 strings there is no way to go lower than Drop-D. but the SBV works pretty well for those heavy stuff, as the low end can remain relatively tight thanks to the pickups. and I like the not-very-appropriate surf music look :joy:

2 Likes

Damn! That was intense.

3 Likes

Awesome!

So the whole reason I went to Ochanomizu yesterday was to try and find these English Bass Centre Elites strings. The Peter Hook signature ones are 65/105 and that huge G string just has to sound awesome. It hadn’t occurred to me to go with a larger E string though. That’s a really really good idea, looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

My only worry is the nut might need to be filed out to accommodate it.

4 Likes

Great bass face the whole time!!

4 Likes

I know y’all are Fender fans, and Greenie is great, but his SBV is just a rare and amazing looking bass - always happy to see it come out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah I’ll need to do this for sure. I already did it on guitars, but this time I might try to make a new nut from scratch. wait and see.

2 Likes

Great job, @terb - and you seem to have introduced a new category as well - “speed covering” :grin:

However, I think you really need a fiver for this kind of music, no??!!

Anyway, happy New Year - looking forward to your 2020 covers!

2 Likes

:v::grin:

sorry I don’t get it ! :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Sorry, was being too “slangy” in my language… I meant a five-string bass :grinning:

2 Likes

ah ! :sweat_smile:

in fact 5-string basses are very rare in all the stoner/sludge/doom world. a down-tuned 4-string works great. we mostly see Fender Precision and Rickenbacker 4003 basses : fat and punchy instruments.

for now I mostly play in drop-D so Greenie is currently set up for this tuning, and in most cases it’s enough in the low range. but for lower pitches I plan to set up the Jim Harley PB for BEAD/AEAD which is the tuning (standard/dropped) of the four lower strings on a 5-string bass. it should be a nice addon to my existing basses :grin: and so, this BEAD/AEAD Precision will use the four lower strings of a 5-string set to archieve the 65/130 gauge :

2 Likes

But wouldn’t it be easier?? Or is it too much “poser” to wield a 5-string??

I guess what you are doing is turning a 4-string into a “pseudo”-5-string and leaving off the G string as it probably has no use anyway in that type of music!?! :thinking:

Anyway, off to buy some line seed oil, such that I can treat the fretboard as I am about to change strings and lower the action on my P copy…

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be easier, it would just be useless ! exactly like 7-string guitars, nobody uses this in stoner/sludge/doom. tuning to drop-D or drop-C is not more complicated than having too much strings, I think. Well I guess it depends on how you see things. Personnally I like to keep things simple and I don’t want 5 strings if I need only 4 ! :grin:

yeah ! what do you plan for this bass ?

2 Likes

Very nice, @terb . . . :metal:

Great way to finish off 2019 . . . and wish you a Happy New Year!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Nothing as advanced as what you are doing :rofl:

New strings and learning how to adjust the action and do a proper setup in that context! Plenty of “excitement” for me there :grin:

2 Likes

I was going to say that at 35" scale, your TRB-II is absolutely perfect for drop tunings, but then I remembered it was a 5-string.

Still, should be able to keep decent B-string tension at AEADG if you want to try it. Or even better, ADADG :slight_smile:

Hmm, now you have me wondering about ADGCF.

3 Likes