Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I agree with Joerg with regards to tapping fingers on strings, but we are all different and if this works for you.

Just an absentminded habit rather than something planned. Luckily it wasn’t audible in the mix. Definitely something for me to work on though.

4 Likes

Nice job @Liffguard I had that song on my list of covers to do, but I don’t think I could do it any better than you did it. I only wish I could have heard a little more volume on the backing track, but otherwise it was splendid.

4 Likes

Hey @MattHinchliffe Matthew there’s nothing wrong with just doing a slide show with your cover. You sounded great and the timing was great. You stayed in the groove the entire song, and that’s the most important thing.

5 Likes

Nice job @terb. I don’t normally like your choice of music, but this was quite enjoyable. I really liked the song and your bass line. You always do such a magnificent job of laying down a great groove. I’m still amazed at how well you to this while sitting down LOL. I couldn’t do it.

4 Likes

That tone is perfect for this song, I like Greenie rolled off like that. I like where the bass is sitting in the mix too.

Technique-wise you are demonstrating very good form in the video too, some serious pinky reach there :slight_smile:

It kind of sounds like the bass is getting some very light phasing at times in the sustain, not sure where that is coming from - might just be some killer color that the bass just has. I love it.

5 Likes

Another great cover @terb Laurent! I liked the song, it kind of reminded me of some James Taylor material back in his early years. Great tone out of Greenie.

4 Likes

thank you all :grin:

5 Likes

You have a very good ear for finding what is needed to totally support the song without being in the way. You are good at focusing in on what is essential. I myself would just be itching to play a flourish high up on the neck or some run down to the root every now and then… :joy:

7 Likes

NICE @terb! I had not heard the Willie Watson cover, but the Led Zeppelin version has always been a favorite of mine.

Always a pleasure to see you and “Greenie” in action, and it makes our day brighter.

5 Likes

Aloha BassBuzzers!
Before I leave Hawaii for the Land of the Rising Sun, I recorded a quick cover to take advantage of the locale for the video. Nothing special about the song, it was a tune I’ve been playing for a while but hadn’t recorded it.
Mahalo for watching.

14 Likes

Another old favorite from the past . . . :slight_smile:

Very nice, @JerryP

Good luck on your journey!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Thanks Joe!

5 Likes

Very nice @JerryP, well done :clap: :clap:

Great tone and timing. I love that song.

Quick question: Not a critique at all, but just curiosity. I notice your thumb is atop the neck rather than behind it. Is that for muting purposes? Again, nothing wrong with your style, I’m just curious.

6 Likes

What can I say, Jerry! This is one of those covers that would have been juuuuuuuust fine without the video :grin: I mean, it’s below freezing, crusty snow is clinging to every surface here… swaying palms is the last thing I need to see right now :crazy_face:

Well done, though! Have a safe trip further west to get to the Far East :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Yeah no kidding, it’s 2C here right now and snowed on Friday :slight_smile:

Great cover Jerry! Glad you’ll be able to get in before they close the borders down.

7 Likes

Thank you Pam! Yes, I am using my thumb to mute the E string after playing the low G to start the measure. I don’t use mu thumb for fretting.
:grinning:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry about the palm trees Joerg. I was just looking for a different background. :palm_tree:
Thanks for the kind words.

5 Likes

Thanks Howard. It’s not a guarantee that I’ll be allowed in. Japan has a policy of a pre-flight negative COVID test before boarding. SOFA (Status of Force Agreement) members are exempt from pre-flight testing. I’m hoping that the gate agents are aware of the exemption.

4 Likes

Here’s my cover of the Eagles Lyin’ Eyes

I played very close to Randy Meisner’s original version, but added a few of my own elements, mainly a few minor slides here and there.

Song notes are on my site.

Yamaha BB735
D’Addario Black Nylon Tape wound strings
No pedals

If you are able to endure six and a half minutes of me on bass, there’s a tribute to Glenn Frey at the end.
Enjoy

Lyin’ Eyes

14 Likes

Nice job Jerry @JerryP,
Great tone and you looked relaxed and enjoying the outdoors :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes