Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Yeah, really good cover there. the tone is remarkable, it sounds like you nailed that.
You really were able to play the appropriate tension to your plucks, (i forget the term to go from lower to more pronounced notes) and you did it nicely.

The only thing I though, And I may be wrong, (I am a recording newb)
but it sounded like those notes played hard were saturated a littlel bit, probably caused by clipping the signal going into the pre-amp, or really those signals going from the bass to the Audiobox interface.

So, either you were seeing some clipping on the signal on the Audiobox, or you were recording with your volume levels set a little too high, and it clipped in the track. Or you may have been going for that sound.

My first couple covers, I thought I was trying to get more bass into the track, and then was told I was saturated, meaning too much incoming signal strength for the gain stage in the Audio interface, or in the tracks, how the amps and total output volums are set.

There are others that can help you more with that,
But @howard dold me a godd place to start is to turn everything to -3.0db.
Recording level on track itself could be set down to -3.0, the recording volume on the AMP you choose in Reaper (if you use one) can be set to -.3.0db and then the total output meters (the one that sets the volume when you record the song out to a platform, like on the hard disk or CD or thumb drive, whatever, that can be set to -3.0 db to start as well

Also, play your open e string loud, and set the volume on the audio Box GAIN to where it clips (should flash red light) and then back off a little til you donā€™t see it.

If you do all that, you will probably have it too low.

Andi, truth be told, your track, the overall volume and everyhing really sounds great, and not saturated, it is just some of those low notes played with force that I hear it.

So you could probably leave everything where it is, and then just turn down one of the things on the bass. either the DAI incoming, gain, make sure no clipping with the loudest lowest notes.
and then just on the bass track back it to -3.0. cuz the rest of the track sounds fine.

its just a little tweak, and it will be perfect. you just have to find where that clipping is coming from, which place to make the adjustment, and when you do, it will be gold.

5 Likes

yeah no worries, playing with all the gear while recording is definitely a learning experience.

6 Likes

Yeah, specifically, you want the output of the master track to sit in the -2 to -3dB range, allowing for peaks that donā€™t clip, and the recording input to certainly be no higher than that. I usually set my master limiter from -1.0 to -2.0 and try and mix volumes to minimize the limiting except for occasional transients.

I learned recently that it turns out the actual ideal recording input range is even lower, for most audio interface preamps. The best dynamic range for recording for most audio gear is somewhere between -18dB to -12dB, it turns out. So playing with your input gain on your DAI to get it in that range is ideal (and you then just normalize it in the DAW.)

But regardless, the important part of the advice: do NOT shoot for 0db on the input :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yah, before I even armed the record, I was trying to get the box when I played HARD to barely graze the clip, and then when I played normal it would redline the interface. Problem is when Iā€™m really digging into a groove, I have a tendency to play harder on the stuff I really like, and you can tell. Thatā€™s just playing undisciplined. Gotta hang back, and remember, ā€œIā€™m no longer a guitar player. I gotta keep the groove.ā€

The 2:00 Open E eighth note fest, listening to the actual song, he plays them a bit softer and a bit more muted. I donā€™t know if obtained that sound by playing softer and muted or by using effects, but I tried to replicate it the best I can without effects. Which I CAN doā€¦for about thirty seconds, then my fingers get cramped and I stretch them out while playing, which gives an uneven tone as I occasionally hit the string harder.

A lot of this is practice, frankly.

6 Likes

Great cover @T_dub ! Iā€™d actually forgotten about this track always favouring God Save the Queen and Anarchy in the UK

And a real favourite of mine @Sp33dSnakr! Another great cover

6 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s way too high :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Of corse it is, practice, and learning, both playing and recording.
YOu are doing great, just need to iron that one thing out and it would sound great.

Well, no, It does sound great, it would just be improved upon.

6 Likes

My covers have been hard to come by! So this was a garage party, all acoustic except me and my six string (drummer even has hand held cajon box) we were fairly sauced and I hit record on my phone for some terrible reasonā€¦best I could come up with for now. Our ā€œversionā€ of Kenny Wayne Shepardā€™s Blue on Black

7 Likes

Your bass amp has achieved total f*cking armageddon there, lol :slight_smile:

nicely played though! Guitarist was great too.

4 Likes

Lol, it was just the Rumble 40 and had it SSOOO low lol. I wish I had something more than an impromptu live recording drunken jam session on acoustic instrumentsā€¦I thought we had a pretty good Learn to Fly coverā€¦looking for it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s really funny how phones will just pick up certain things like that. All the same, sounds like you guys had a blast jamming it. Very cool.

4 Likes

Thanks, it was a fun night of loose playing and bbqing!

5 Likes

You know, listening to thatā€¦ it has a wonderful vibe. It really reminds me of jamming with my old buddies back in the day. I was still a teenager, and a group of older metal/glam guys let me jam with them. It was so cool, laughing, jamming, not necessarily taking things so seriously. :slight_smile:

One of those guys was named Jody Fadley. He died of a cocaine overdose in 2005. It was one of the reasons why I started to play a lot less, and then for awhile, not at all.

One of the things Iā€™ve been thinking about covering is one of the songs his band did, but Iā€™ve been hesitant about it. I donā€™t know. Weā€™ll see.

8 Likes

Agree, itā€™s just really cool. Fun jamming with buds.

Really sorry to hear of the loss, but that would be a great tribute for sure!

4 Likes

Luckily that other one will expire in 7 days lol! A bit better, all I could find was some recordings of a rehearsal when we were prepping to play it in a showā€¦not perfect, but electric instruments and a real drum set!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aiGvdPdy2HZ3XcvpHfxAYRNsNkwL0Meo/view?usp=drivesdk

5 Likes

You guys are really good, clearly in the groove together.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear man, losing someone like that is rough. But sure is fun to just play for fun.

Link didnā€™t work btwā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks man! That was when we had our originals written, but before we took them to studio.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s okay, Iā€™ll remove it.

Thing is, we really werenā€™t close friends. We all had similar interests and that sort of thing, but I was way younger than those guys (They were in there 40ā€™s, I was not even 20 yet.) But it did shake me up. I was such an innocent, I didnā€™t even know Jody was using.

Anyway, on with the bass covers! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Okay, last oneā€¦but Iā€™m dried up on covers with this one. Cocaine Blues by Johnny cash. Maybe a month into being in a band for the first time lol.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89JilmSq7gzUXREM1hnM05pX2s/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes