Great covers from all the contributors and a really good mix of styles too :+1:

6 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words.
:smiley:

4 Likes

Sounds really good, Jerry @JerryP . . . :slight_smile:

All best, Joe

6 Likes

Well, I uploaded my cover of Turbo Lover to SoundCloud, and I immediately got this love letter:

Hi Sp33dSnake,

Our automatic content protection system has detected that your track

ā€œTurbo Lover - Judas Priest (Bass Cover)ā€

may contain copyrighted content. As a result, your track has been removed from your profile for the time being.

4 Likes

Youā€™re getting surprisingly good tone out of that travel bass!

Looks like a fun song to cover too. Nice job.

4 Likes

Sadly, Soundcloud has become extremely draconian about DCMA BS. which is why I no longer use them.

5 Likes

Well, Iā€™m currently using a video editing software to upload the cover to Youtube. Theyā€™ll give any ad revenue to Judas Priest, which is fine by me; Iā€™m not doing this for the money, lol.

6 Likes

Ok, as you all know back in October 1, 2020, I went into the hospital with flesh eating virus on my right leg, from top of my knww to tip of toes and 180 deg circle around the leg. scarry, painful and took a long damn time to get right, and had a few Drā€™s working against me giving my a huge set back I am still dealing with.
But about 4 weeks ago I played bass all week for the first time in 2021 and first time since the hospital.
I played it once or twice for about 25 minutes eaxh about 5-7 weeks back, but nothing really but hold and fiddle, not even exercises.

slowly I starget practice, some scales, finger exercises, and spelling games and doing alot of the things I was learning when I left off.
I still to thid day have not gone back to the courses I was in the middle of, I still need to get a little more to come back, physically and mentally, but it is soon, and I will get back into the Chord Tones and Sight Reading courses at Talking Bass, and then get some great stuff for mofules and learners path over at Bass Education (Damian erskine) and for his very low cost, it is a no brainer to get over there and workā€¦
And once I am able and ready, back to the proper level, I do plan to continue studying with @JoshFossgreen 1-2x per month like I did before.

So, now I am a few weeks back, and I decided before jumping back into the books, I was gonna hit a few covers, Diffficulty level is a little lighter then what I was doing with sublime and Black Sabbath, but these are not the easiest somgs to play in the worldā€¦ Some off beat rests and changes on offbeats, yeah, it geve me a little challenge to learn. mainly cuz of the scrolling screen on the bass channel, and always having to stop it order to look at the tabs, then play it to learn the licks

You can read the Epilogue and Bio about the band and what they mean to me and my life.

So, here is the link,

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/02/20/no-feelings/

4 Likes

Ahh man, such a good and influential song. I think you were a little tough on yourself in the bio regarding your timing and rendition not being the same - there is nothing wrong with what you did and what you brought to the song, it was all good. And itā€™s not like Sid always played it the same way either.

Your bass take was absolutely on fire for this. Well done!

5 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I think my confidence was a little low cuz I was not going in with a rock solid blue print and kind of improvised and played to the song along the way.

But thats what we as bass players need to do , so Yeah, thanks, that gives me a tone of confidence with this sort of thing moving forward

What did you think about the Aguilar Stingray tone? didnā€™t think it was a little too brash for this song. I mean its a hard brash, slap in the face song, but do you think the LTD or the DEAN would do it better?

4 Likes

Tone sounded fine to me. Actually maybe a little warm but not problematic in any way. No tone issues at all.

Canonically Sid rocked a P-bass. So to be completely accurate thatā€™s the tone you would shoot for. But there were no issues there at all IMO.

5 Likes

Yeah, of course it was a P and I donā€™t have one, but I can give it a show with my Dean MetalMan cuz it is passive and see what kind of tone I get out of it, I might really like it. I was surprised when I started playing it recently since I noticed it was the only passive bass I had, and it sounds great. and that is just ball to Zoom u-22 to GarageBand with no amp or effects.

I just donā€™t know about the strings on it, I have never changed them yet.

5 Likes

Turbo Lover - Judas Priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlgw-OtdDuc&feature=youtu.be

Equipment Used:

Yamaha TRBX504 (Passive, Tone Rolled Off Quite A Bit)
AUDIOBOX USB96 Interface
Reaper Audio Software
Playing Method: Finger Plucking/Standing Position

Itā€™s rough, but complete. In some areas, itā€™s obviously a bit off-time and inconsistent. Sometimes itā€™s right where it needs to be. Not exactly a 1/1 cover as I added a flourish in one particular place.

@howard, wait a few seconds after the track is over. xD

10 Likes

The 504 sounds awesome! How you liking it so far?

Chugging sounded good to me, maybe a little timing drift but not bad, especially for such a relentless song.

Nice start on Disorder there too! Loved it :slight_smile:

Only constructive criticism I would add is I would have considered mixing the bass a little louder. But itā€™s a small thing. And actually thatā€™s only for parts of the song. And:

Adding the flourish was a good touch! But you might have accidentally overdriven your audio interface there :slight_smile:

Still a nice addition though - just a little zealous :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Itā€™s a beast. :slight_smile:

I tried to do the cover on active pickups, but I really couldnā€™t find a tone I liked. The instrument used is a Hamer bass (Ian apparently stopped using a J-Bass in the 70ā€™s), and it was dark and boomy, and trying to roll on the bass boost through the USB96 gave me sounds that often sounded like I was trying to put my tone through a waterpipe.

And yeah, the timing is an issue. Sometimes, Iā€™m perfectly okay (inside my mind Iā€™m thinking, ā€˜1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,ā€™), but occasionally, I get lost in digging into those eighth notes and playing it by ear. Which, is undisciplined playing.

I will say it took five takes, and while you gave me great advice on cutting/blending when I made a mistake, I completely ignored it mostly due to ego. :rofl:

6 Likes

hah! Taking the hard path, nice. Hardcore.

This sounds to me like it might be an input gain/level issue, not an issue with the bass itself?

6 Likes

Iā€™ll tell ya, you donā€™t realize the song is 5:30 long until youā€™ve played it five times in a row.

As for the little ā€˜Disorderā€™ at the end, yeah, itā€™s on the playlist when Iā€™m pumping milk out of the barns. Listening to the actual song, the first bar of the bass line as heā€™s finishing, it sounds like he accidentally made the strings rumble at the end, which Iā€™ve been trying to replicate.

5 Likes

he actually plays a chord the first time through, yeah. Good ear!

My guess is it was a mistake they decided to stick with because he only does it once or twice in the song. Still, nice touch if you decide to replicate it. I decided to ignore it in my cover.

5 Likes

It could be. I tried rolling the main/input 1 volume back, but it was really finicky and was getting frustrated.

Iā€™ll learn about it later. In any case, on this particular track, just running passive with the tone rolled off a bit was good enough. :slight_smile:

5 Likes