Post your covers! (2019-2022)

sure, this is the hard question of the auto-cover … for example if I wrote a song for a band where I was playing the guitar, and now I record a different bass line over it, is it a cover or a composition, or both ?

3 Likes

Depends on if you or your label hold the rights to the song :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, in legalese that would be the fact,
but
in the common sense world (very often contradicted by the legal world), if Les Claypool writes the song and plays / records it with Primus, then sits down and plays it on acoustic bass, is it a cover or is it just unplugged.
Or do we consider all unplugged performances covers of a band by the band that did the original?

2 Likes

this is the gray zone of covers I guess :grin: but if an artist plays the bass line of its composition unplugged , it’s not a cover in my opinion. it’s just a different version of the song.

it’s like Helter Skelter : I don’t think it’s really a cover when it’s played by P.McCartney

2 Likes

Great great job, @howard

6 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hmm, in this case it is a variation of the song, played a bit differently with an entirely different guitar part, tempo and style…not sure lol

2 Likes

Here’s my cover of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by one of my favorite bands – The Band. The song is about the American Civil War, sung from the perspective of a Confederate (southern) soldier. I’m not a big civil war history buff, but I do love this song.

(P Bass with flats, direct to interface. Bass is boosted in mix)

In memory of Levon Helm, 1940-2012

14 Likes

Awesome cover of one of my favorite Southern Rock songs @bjams. You did a great job of keeping the rhythm and staying with the chords.
I’m glad to see so much Southern Rock and Dark Country being covered. Those are some great genres of music that many people don’t appreciate.

5 Likes

You can boost that bass even more, it’s not very audible on crescendo parts…as for playing, it seems like you nailed it.
:+1:

3 Likes

Bass seemed to conform with the tune when I listened to it with my headphones. If you set the bass too loud it just saturates the mix and ruins the song. Just my $.02 worth…

3 Likes

I agree, the mix is OK for me. also that’s cool to get such an efficient bass tone without an amp or a sim ; as far as I know only a P allows to do this (and all the Motown bass lines have been recorded this way, actually). well, probably that modern active basses with onboard preamp and EQ could be recorded this way too, but it’s much more cool and stylish with a P anyway :grin:

also very nicely played, locked in the groove. nice job @bjams !

5 Likes

Outstanding cover work @bjams! I’ve loved The Band for many years, lots of great music from them.
Great job!
:+1:

4 Likes

Yeah, great job man. If I heard this on the radio I wouldn’t think it wasn’t the original! That means you are in there, time is good, no noticeable misfrets, and you found a fitting tone. Great work!

5 Likes

Thanks everybody!

@PamPurrs I was pretty much raised on Southern Rock, agree it has a lot more to offer than it sometimes gets credit for. Southern folk make some excellent music.

@terb should clarify it is using an amp sim somewhat – the only ‘clean bass’ one I could find in garageband that sounds ok. I think it was blended 75 DI / 25 amp.

5 Likes

OK… It’s been awhile, but with all the”Southern Rock” that’s hitten’ this thread, I just HAD to post… Between @PamPurrs Pam’s MTM cover and now this,…

Damn!!! I do love my Southern Rock (and Motown),!!!.. but… Southern Rock is my heritage… It’s what makes my blood flow… It’s what always “Brought me Home” when I was in country back in the early ‘70’s…

This song especially hits home to me… Towards the end of the Civil War, Sherman tore through and burned everything in his path down here - especially Atlanta where the signs and repercussions still exist even to this day…

A great cover @bjams… You did the song justice… Thank You for making my day!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

Good to hear from you Lanny!

5 Likes

OK, the last of the ROM/quarantine covers. No more until I get home. I hope you all enjoy it.
Comments and criticisms welcomed.

17 Likes

Great job on one of my favorites. I remember seeing Chicago Transit Authority (later changed to Chicago) when they were playing the clubs on Rush Street in Chicago. Terry Kath had such an amazing voice. His death was tragic.
In later years, whenever the cover band in the singles clubs performed this song, the dance floor would fill up with potential lovers dancing close.
Ah the memories of my younger days.

4 Likes

Thanks Pam! @PamPurrs
This was the ultimate “make out” song at high school parties back in early '70’s. Someone would put this on toward the end of the night after the everyone was buzzed and the room got very quiet.
:wink:

5 Likes