Post your covers! (2019-2022)

You really nailed the timing, which on a slow song, can often be harder than on a driving one. Well done!

7 Likes

Nicely played! Mix sounds pretty good to me overall. Bass is a little light in spots but I think that is more due to playing a little uneven than to the mix.

One thing you can do in the DAW, if you find you recorded something with a bit uneven levels, is normalize the track. This will raise the track amplitude up to a fixed peak (usually -4dB.) Then, once the track is normalized, go back and find the part you played more softly, select just it, and renormalize just that part.

Donā€™t go crazy with this down to individual beats or anything, but if there is a quiet section, this can help make it easier to mix.

6 Likes

yeah I think youā€™re right about the light playing. i tended to boom on my previous covers so probably overcompensated. thanks for the tips on normalizing :+1:

6 Likes

nice cover @JerryP , I didnā€™t knew the band or the song. for some reason this one sounds a bit thin overall, I guess itā€™s due to the original record

4 Likes

Iā€™m curious Laurent, what do you mean by thin? Something to do with the mix?

2 Likes

Thanks @JerryP Jerry!.. Been an exceptionally busy winter here at the homestead this winter getting all of the equipment maintained and ready for springā€¦ Spring looks to be just a busy trying to get caught up on some building projects outsideā€¦ Have only had time to play bass just a couple hours a week with all weā€™ve got going on around hereā€¦ Will try to get caught up on listening to covers again once I have time to get on the computerā€¦ Be safe bro!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

5 Likes

Thanks man! Stay safe!

3 Likes

Smashed it again @JerryP :+1:
I struggle with the slower songs like @howard mentioned you you made that look and sound like a walk in the park.

4 Likes

Thanks, @Mac. Itā€™s true, when I first started to play it, it seemed a bit harder than I expected but the more practice, the easier it was to play.

3 Likes

Very nice Jerry, @JerryP,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hello everyone, here is my cover of one of the best songs ever written in my opinion. It took me a while to transcribe and learn all the parts since bass line is very dynamic and song is pretty long. Hope you enjoy it.

Robert Plant - Big Log

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHV-ofWZa0

15 Likes

Very nice cover @Noisembryo, you played it well and the timing is perfect. The bass somewhat oversaturates the mix IMO, but itā€™s fine. I know from your previous comments you like the bass to be really loud :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

great cover @Noisembryo ! I didnā€™t knew this song. I liked the composition, itā€™s not an easy one and you played it really well ! congrats !

5 Likes

@Noisembryo I havenā€™t heard that tune in a while, a great selection to do. I was bass-facing during the entire listen ;))

6 Likes

Very well played! I enjoyed listening to it. Very relaxed.
Great job!
:+1:

5 Likes

Very nice @Noisembryo,
loved the tone, and i agree that the song has a great bass line :sunglasses:
you did a great job of the transcribe.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Great cover, loved the tone! Nicely played as well.

6 Likes

Nice! Not an easy one timing-wise, well played.

6 Likes

Yeah, really good cover, great timing and tone

6 Likes

Thanks guys, as usual bass is a bit louder in the mix to distinguish it from original line.

7 Likes