Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Here’s my cover of “New Age Girl” By Deadeye Dick. Mid-90s goof-rock at its finest. I think the first time I heard this song was in Dumb and Dumber, and it sunk its hook firmly into my adolescent brain.

Fender P Bass with flats, bass boosted in mix again. Tone isn’t exactly right and I left a couple mistakes in, wasn’t really seeking perfection with this one. Just wanted to get in a fun quick cover this morning, and I should be working at this point :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

That was great! I thought the tone was just fine for this song. What were you trying for?
Good job!
:+1:

3 Likes

that’s a funny song @bjams ! as you said, a few mistakes but for someone who’s not seeking perfection, it’s fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! The original bassist plays a Stingray so I tried that first but didn’t like the results. So I fell back to my happy place of P Bass with tone turned down low :slight_smile:

Did you ever get that Sterling Stingray Classic you mentioned eyeing a couple months ago?

3 Likes

Awesome @PamPurrs. You are rocking that Hofner!

5 Likes

Great grooving there @bjams,
pretty cool bass line and i liked the tone in the mix,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Yes, I did although I haven’t had much time to play it since I left for a work trip about a week after I got it. I’m looking forward to getting back home and playing with it.

7 Likes

Cool I have the exact same one. I really like it, especially the neck, though after playing it for a few months I’m starting to think it would be nice to have the mids EQ control in addition to bass and treble. Will likely swap this one out and upgrade to a legit EBMM Stingray at some point. For the price it’s hard to beat the Classic though.

4 Likes

Thank you @JDDaniel

4 Likes

Yeah - mids is about twice as important to me as the bass and treble controls are. I won’t own a two-band again. I might buy one, but if I do, a 3-band is going in.

4 Likes

If you have not already, you might want to pop the pick up and connect it so it is wired in parallel. That one does not come from the factory in parallel, but it has the wires exposed so easy to do it.
That could be enough to make you like this cover with that bass.

And if you pop in a 3 ban eq, you get a bass sounding much more like a stingray, with the 3band eq the big boys get.
You can actually get a decent 3 band pre-amp, called Tone Monster (I think is the name, they have a website and an e-bay store) for about $60, and they sound pretty nice.

Actually Lobster did a video on that, where he left the stock pick up, wired parallel and put in the Tone Monster Pre-amp. I don’t remember for sure, but I believe the results were very positive for minimum investment to make the bass act feel and sound more like a real stingray, for very little investment. like $60

I will try to link you to a video, but that little work could let you play covers with it and get the sound you expect.

You could upgrade the preamp to a 3band, and put in a nicer pick up.

I will find the video.

Wired in parallel with clips back to the series to hear the difference
@JerryP. You will want to watch this also, and probably make the mod it shows, it is a free 5 min mod that will make that Ray24 of yours sound better.

I am very sorry, it was not the Tone Monster Pre-Amp, it was a John East, IDK the cost, but you can hear others with the Tone Monster, I know he put one in the Harley Benton Stingray copy and it sounded cool…

Here is one with a Tone Monster Preamp and pick up for $110 total cost
But it is a Ray4, but the Ray4 and Ray24 have the exact same Pre-amp in them, just the Ray24 pick up is better, after you wire it paralell
This upgrade is reallycool here, and you would probably only need the preamp part of it.

Tone Monster in the Harley Benton

@bjams, I really liked the cover BTW, I don’t remember if from Dumb and Dumber, but it was a fun little tune.

3 Likes

about the preamp on a Stingray, it would be possible to create an accurate reproduction of the original vintage 2-band EQ. it’s not very complicated :

and I’m sure there are aftermarket reproductions

5 Likes

Plus, all of the preamps have option for 3 or 4 knobs. You can get the same 3 knob config like your bass is, so no other mods need to be made, and the Mid and Hi will be a stacked control.
You can go for the classic look and go for the 4 knobs on the control panel, but you will need to drill into the side and ream it to fid the Jack receptacle.
Beyond my capabilities with the tools I have easy access to, but it is not that much more work. You probably need to get the mounting plate to bolt to the side of the bass to hold the jack receptacle in place.

One last thing to consider, if you like the skinny neck on this bass, better than the big fat Stingray neck, then you may be better pimping thisone out with really good electronics. Cuz everything above this model has the fat neck.
But since you like to play a P bass, I don’t really think that will be a problem for you, but I just thought I would mention it just in case.

3 Likes

Nice cover. I do love a good bass slide. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Toby,
Is there a video for the actual modification?

2 Likes

I am sure you can find one, but sounds like you just wire the two wires that are not soldiered to the solder points of the matching wire.
I think we should get one of the elcecrical wizards in here , but I am sure that it is extremely simple.

Probably @terb or @howard, @davet, and others will be able to walk you thru it.

I will hunt for a video or document on it for you.

Will be good to know if that little Toluca Lake Blue GEM every arrives at my house, I will have to do the mod as well

2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Neck radiuses, sizes, shapes, etc

A quick n’ dirty (office at lunchtime) cover of ‘Let’s Stick Together’ by Bryan Ferry. A straightforward 12-bar progression but with a lot of staccato notes (hard work (for me) and tests the timing!)

https://youtu.be/6S1bSfXWTwk

19 Likes

Very good, @sfadams . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Very good job @sfadams, you played that song splendidly and I enjoyed listening to it. I watched your plucking hand throughout the entire video and am impressed with your smooth plucking and movement of the thumb anchor when necessary. :clap: :clap: :clap:

6 Likes