Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I enjoyed the Bowie cover @Noisembryo, not familiar with that particular song, but very good performance.
:+1:

4 Likes

Great cover @sfadams. I quite often have a dalliance with this song. Really good fun.

Good job @Noisembryo. Starting to appreciate Bowie in my older years lol

And yes I have to agree with Bowie. That is definitely in my top 10 covers. Brings back memories of being 18 and a few house parties

4 Likes

Very nicely done, @Noisembryo . . . :slight_smile:

Also left you a thumbs up on the Tube :+1:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Nice job!!

You and the drummer must spend a lot of time together to be that tight!!

I love seeing another left handed person play, but it looks so odd to me. Being a lefty I really enjoy watching right handed people play just to get that mirror effect and being able to copy fret hand position.
(Just reread this and I hope it doesnā€™t read as snarky as when I read it back to myself!! Iā€™m so used to seeing EVERYBODY play right handedā€¦ great to see another left handed player and one that really ROCKS it!!)

Really nice job and it looks like you had a good time playing this cover. I just watched your Letā€™s Stick Together cover and enjoyed that one too! It looked like quite a workout!! Looking forward to see what you put out next.

Cheers!!

5 Likes

Nice job!!

I dig that song too, so angry! Way to keep playing when your band quit on you!!

4 Likes

Thanks! The band is figuring out a solution, singer moved out of state but is getting his own place soon and will set up recording stuff, and our drummer set up a nice home studio, so we will still be making music, just a bit of a delay on it!

2 Likes

Another good one!! It has a fun sounding bass line, pretty catchy! It looked like you were having a good time on this one.

I need to stop by this thread more often.

Good times!!

4 Likes

I really like it, Kurt @kerushlow . . . :+1:

Great tone, too!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

A complete rookie but I thought that sounded really good!! Fun song and a fun bass line. Super catchy tune. I tried to put it on my like song list on Spotify but couldnā€™t find the Deadeye Dick version.

Are you figuring these songs out on your own or are you buying the sheet music somewhere? I like coming here and seeing people that are so good that have just started playing (within the last few years or so). It is very inspirational!!

Keep the covers coming!!

3 Likes

Thanks @BigRichieO ! Yeah they Deadeye Dick version isnā€™t on Spotify for some reason, I just play along to the cover version from The Falling Devices which is pretty close to the original.

I am painfully slow at transcribing by ear so I almost always use Ultimate Guitar Pro for tabs/notation/learning songs. Their free tabs are kind of shaky but they have a Pro membership where you can access the ā€œOfficialā€ tabs made by pros/UG staff, and has a nice little play-along web/mobile app. There is an 80% off sale that ends in like 7 hours (i think they run this sale frequently) ā€“ https://www.ultimate-guitar.com

There is also ā€œCover Solutionsā€ and ā€œHarryā€™s Musicā€ on youtube which show tabs on the screen above them playing along to the song. Iā€™ve used those a lot.

4 Likes

Thank you @BigRichieO, although we actually spent time arguing why each of us had moved slightly off the grid in various parts of the song!

Me too. I always give a little cheer inside when I see a fellow lefty as if weā€™re in some unofficial club. :sunglasses:

Many thanks. That was actually trickier for me (bass-wise) as it involved a lot of notes and a lot of muting. Glad you enjoyed it.

2 Likes

So I was going through my list of songs to cover and I noticed that I donā€™t have any blues tunes and immediately ā€œBlue Jeans Bluesā€ popped in my head. I donā€™t usually play blues on bass because most of the stuff is very repetitive and boring (I clearly see now thatā€™s not the case), however after weeks of practicing for 2 - 3 hours a day my hands could really use a rest.

This song not only heals my hands it also heals my soul and brings me inner peace and balance. Iā€™d recommend to anyone who needs a break but doesnā€™t want to stop playing to try out some slow chill-out bluesā€¦it works wonders.

Billyā€™s guitar tone is amazing and itā€™s primary reason I could listen to this song forever on repeat. I remember reading somewhere that Dusty described his bass tone as ā€œRhino farting in the trash canā€ so I added some grit to my bass and I think it works quite nice in the mix. Comments, critiques, loveā€¦all is welcome as always :sunglasses:

Anyways here it is:

ZZ Top - Blue Jeans Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcoHM2s-3_w

14 Likes

Oh man, thereā€™s a lot of groove in that. Bass tone and level are great too.

6 Likes

Great work on that. I like the blues and that was awesome! :+1:

5 Likes

Nice cover @Noisembryo,
Its all about the feel and the timing, the slow stuff is harder than the up tempo stuff cuz you have to be spot on, and you were.
I might get out on the back patio with a couple beers now that Iā€™m relaxed :sunglasses: :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Beautiful playing. Thanks for posting. Song reminds me a lot of Led Zepā€™s ā€œTea For Oneā€, off their ā€˜Presenceā€™ album which came out about 12 months after Fandango. Hmmm ā€¦ :thinking:

5 Likes

Very Nice. Nice fade out too. @Noisembryo

4 Likes

I second the Ultimate Guitar Pro.
The PRO or OFFICIAL tabs are often dead wrong (for bass anyway) and thre are plenty of user written tabs that are just way off, but there is so much stuff there that is good. and even if not perfect, it is good enough to get thru a cover of the song.

I am really going to be focusing on my transcribing more this year, but sometimes I hear a song played in a buddyā€™s car, or on a tv show, or something and I say to myself ā€œI wanna play that, RIGHT NOWā€
so, it is useful, and I have gotten WAY MORE out of it then the $24.99 I paid for a year membership.

During COVID, they were giving membership for $24.99 instead of the $39.99, the catch is that you canā€™t get a free trial week, but its only $25, hell if you learn 5 songs you wanted to learn really bad, its worth it IMO.

The added bonus is, if you sign up for the $24.99 special, when it rolls over next year, if you opt to staying, it will roll over at the special reduced rate of $24.99 instead of the normal rate of $39.99. $40 still is not crazy for a year, but if you can save $15 now, and every year after, all the better.

2 Likes

Very nice, chill, and relaxed.
Great exercise in timing, and you were right there with it.
Not so bad for. Rhino Farting in the trash, thru a blues song.
Great work.

Not the first accusation like that thrown towards Jimmy Paige and Zep. They had to split royalties on Dazed and Confused with the original artist at some point, but it was not originally on the album, it just said (Paige). later it read (Paige, inspired by -----country folk singer I forget his name).
And that is not the only song, there are LOTS of materials they are said to have ripped off.
Then Jimmy Paige plays it off as, well, we played something like that while I was with the ā€œYardbirds, yada yada, yeah, I forget where it came fromā€,

4 Likes

hey @Noisembryo , not my favorite ZZ Top song but you played the bass really well. nice tone, nice mix, nice groove, all this very appropriate to the song. everything works well together !

sure it does :slight_smile:

5 Likes