Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you @Mac :smile_cat:

5 Likes

that’s funny how you use your pick @PamPurrs , you mostly attack from down-to-up which is very unusual. that’s the first time I see this, I think :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I jusr went with what felt most comfortable to me. is attacking this way a bad thing? Is this something I need to correct?

5 Likes

probably not a problem, that’s just not the usual way to use a pick so it looked weird to me. but if it works for you, that’s fine, I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll work on that. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. What do you think of the French translation? Is it accurate?

6 Likes

yes, it’s exactly exact !

6 Likes

Why would you work on it? There is nothing wrong with it, if it works for you then keep using it. Did someone tell John Entwistle he should work on his right hand technique because it wasn’t by the book?

5 Likes

Fat Mike starts everything with an up stroke. Some baselines he goes back thru the string, but much of the time he is only up picking.
He is one of the fastest bassists in punk rock that plays clean with good tone IMO.

He doesn’t have an explanation for it, he was self taught until later on in his career when he wanted to have more to do with theory, and it shows in his later work compared to his early stuff.

After hearing him talk about it I started to think about it like this, when we play with our fingers, are we not mostly up stroking?

He also plays VERY SOFTLY, but deadly fast, and proudly uses a .06 Pink Dunlop pick that says Fat Mike on it. I can understand how he wont’ be liked by many, but I have learned alot from him with some of his little tips and tricks the few times I have seen him show how to play a bass-line.

I think you can use a pick however is most comfortable and makes you feel like you can play better, but I am not a big pick player, so I might be totally wrong.

4 Likes

I agree, pick how you like. I don’t think @terb was saying it was bad, just unusual (which it is, but that doesn’t mean bad.)

5 Likes

Nice cover @PamPurrs! Love that song and I even learned something from it. :wink:

By the way I also tried out a similar Ibanez like yours. I didn’t mind the hollow body but my son disliked it too. For me it was the feel of the neck that I didn’t like. I had something similar with my LTD ESP guitar which was a pure beauty (all white, neck too) but I didn’t like the feel of the neck either. Don’t know how to describe it’s probably the coating that makes it feel a bit too “plastic”?

4 Likes

it’s probably a PE (polyester) finish then. I hate this too, I know it’s personnal and it won’t be a problem for a lot of people, but it’s just something I don’t want to touch. I have only one guitar with this finish and I almost never play it for this reason.

4 Likes

Yeah I think that’s it Terb. Nice guitar and riff that you linked. :ok_hand: This one was mine, I just have a Fender now.

5 Likes

the riff is derived from this song

4 Likes

Greetings Low Frequency Boys and Girls!
Taking a break from the 50 Song/100 Week Challenge, here is a Beatles cover that I’ve been working on. It was more difficult that I thought, but I got through it. I hope you enjoy it. I used the Hofner tuned to EADG, into the Scarlett 2i2 DAI, Garage Band DAW with the 60’s Combo amp sim, video captured with a Lumix DMC-FZ300 camera and edited with iMovie.

15 Likes

Sounds really good, @JerryP . . . :+1:

Brings back memories :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Tres bien @JerryP!!!

Great job!
You have motivated me to record one I have been fiddling with. Time to get it done.

6 Likes

That pretty much describes me in general :smile_cat:

5 Likes

Good bass playing @JerryP, and I love that song (I was 16 when it came out and was in love with The Beatles).
I would have liked the overall volume a bit higher, but otherwise it was enjoyable.
Great job!
P.S. That makes 2 covers in a row with French lyrics in them

6 Likes

Thanks Joe! Much appreciated.

6 Likes

Thank you @John_E!

4 Likes