Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Awesome. I left a comment on your website also.
I think it was great, only complaint was that I think the song was a little too high, and / or the bass down a little low. I would have liked to hear your bass line a little more in the mix.
TBH, because of not hearing the bass line punch thru as much (my ears, they kind of suck, so take this with a grain of salt), I was not able to notice if your bass tone benefited from the Chorus or not.
Great job, love how you create bass lines and make the song you OWN, and you own it.
Loved the video, glad you didn’t get ran down by the passing train. :wink:

3 Likes

I also love the way you present the song, giving the origin, what it means to you, and even the Where are they Now, or what else have they done.
I know others do this as well, I just think you give a little extra in that department, but I do not mean to take away from anybody else here.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @T_dub Toby. I tend to mix the same way a sound engineer would. In other words, I don’t over saturate my bass into the mix. Hopefully it sounds like it would if it was a recording or if it was played live.
I often get criticized for this on my covers, but its just the way I do it. I know this thread is about showing off our bass playing, but I’d prefer to show off how well I can serve the music with my bass.

3 Likes

Great job @PamPurrs. So creative.
Love the original bass line you did.

4 Likes

Thank you @John_E. I really love creating my own bass lines and playing them. It’s very rewarding…

3 Likes

Hmm, the bass was a little low in the mix for me to be able to pick out the effect, sorry! However what I heard did sound good. Just couldn’t telll it was chorused.

Which is a fine use of the effect too! It doesn’t have to stand out.

4 Likes

Great track and nice job @PamPurrs
Sometimes it’s just good to be a redneck even if you’re way down south in Oz :+1:

3 Likes

Very cool @PamPurrs! Great song choice and very well played indeed. Enjoyed the backdrop also.

3 Likes

Guess the SOUTH is the important factor in that. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Its not really a criticism, and in the normal mix, that would be the way to do it.
Maybe you could release a separate audio track, with the bass punching thru, just for this thread so we could hear the bass standing out.
And not with saturation, just with the volume level on the song track turned down a little.
You don’t have to of course, it is your cover, just for me, I would love to hear your bass standing out to appreciate your tone and effects mostly.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

great cover @PamPurrs and as always an impressive video clip production :grin: the bass is a bit low in the mix but what’s sure is that those Hofner work well with a pick and a rock track.

5 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs,
I left comments on your website,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Really good, @PamPurrs . . . :+1:

Your production skills are amazing!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Bass is very low in the mix, I can barely hear it through monitors. Point of the covers is to hear your bass so don’t be afraid to make it shine. Adding about +3db to the volume would be enough I think.

2 Likes

Excellent! Left you a comment on your website.
:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

HOT DAMN PAM!!! This is certainly my favorite Blackfoot song!! Your video production skills are really very good. What caught my eye the most were the one part where you kinda turned around and looked at that train as it went by, and also the part where you were standing on the train station dock and the train came by and when it passed, you were gone - kinda like it picked you up - all of it well timed with the story line of the song… AND,… the one part where you are playing in the subway station and the signs identifying each of the train rails were marked “Beginner” and “Badass”… Very clever indeed!! As for the bass, what can I say?? Using the Hoff in a Southern Rock song is definitely something no one would expect, but you did manage to pull it off!! BZ @PamPurrs Pam!!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

I noticed that part too, and the Subway with the B2B on the signs. Yes, super clever, if you have not noticed those things, it is worth another watch to look for them.

4 Likes

@T_dub, @howard, @terb, @TNKA36 per your suggestion I lowered the backing track 2db and increased my bass track 2db. I don’t like the bass too loud in my covers as I feel it doesn’t serve the song well.
The issue with this particular song is the drummer is really beating on the kick and tom and my the bass is locked it with him, so it’s easy to get buried in there. Fortunately, he eases up a bit toward the middle of the song (perhaps he was getting tired LOL).
Anyway, here’s the link again. Please let me know what you think.

5 Likes

Thank you @Lanny Lanny! I was hoping someone would notice my subtle humor in the subway station :smiley_cat:
I hope @JoshFossgreen notices the little plug for B2B :rofl:

5 Likes