Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Me too! I always feel like I am being cheesy when working with dynamics, louder when melody goes up, softer when pitch travels downward. Keep pushing yourself to voice the dynamics like the vocalist does. Mr. Benedetto does this really well, look to him for tips.

3 Likes

Thanks @RuknRole ! I started this project with my Lyon with flats on it, but it just didnā€™t sound like what I was hearing in my head. Went to the bass I listed as ā€œmy favoriteā€ (Hamer) and it sounded much better.

3 Likes

Thank you JD!
I pictured this video in a smokey lounge type setting but I couldnā€™t find any photos of that vintage.
Really happy you and the Mrs. had a nice moment. I think Tony gets most of the credit though. :wink:

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome and thanks Lanny! I always appreciate when you comment on my covers.
Thanks again.

4 Likes

Old spirits @JerryP ā€¦ā€¦. Thereā€™s just something about those old songs that brings (especially me) back to the foundations of how music evolved over timeā€¦. Especially with bass linesā€¦. Love what you do!

3 Likes

Not my usual style or genre but that was really bloody good @JerryP .
Had to listen to it a couple of times and even on my crappy iPhone that bass sounded like it was just meant to be.
Great job. Going to listen to it again now

2 Likes

Very nicely played @RuknRole ,
Great song choice, Kansas weā€™re an awesome band, I have a live DVD of one of there concerts,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very cool playing Jerry,
Mellow, might have to have a glass of red and a piece of dark chocolate :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi Pam , @PamPurrs ,
Billy Greer uses a pick, if you like Kansas, try and get a copy of this DVD,
Itā€™s awesome ,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@Lanny

Hey thanks man. :slight_smile:

I wish Iā€™d had more focussed classes when I first started instead of muddling my way though Metallica and Hendrix tabs. This would have been a lot easier! Still, as Steven Tyler once said life is a journey not a destinationā€¦ Iā€™m finding that memorising the notes is only the first step - getting it fluent and then layering on my own feel is going to be the difficult bit. Did you have to learn pieces by heart for your lessons? That kind of skill must really help when playing new pieces and getting a base for improvisationā€¦

That is my trusty Ibanez SR300E. Iā€™m not 100% sure but I think the strings are Ernie Ball super slinky.

I await your covers sir :slight_smile:

Ed

2 Likes

Smooth! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks Lanny!

Absolutely!

3 Likes

Thanks Mac!
I really liked the way it sounded the first time I tried it with this tune.

3 Likes

Thank you Brian!
Much appreciated!

3 Likes

Thank you @Ed !

4 Likes

Let me add my praise to all the others, @Jerry . . . :slight_smile:

Sounded really great with perfect pace and tone . . . great work!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Yes, @Ed and I hated it!!:crazy_face::crazy_face: (at the time)ā€¦. That is, if you refer to ā€œby heartā€ as meaning ā€œmemorizationā€ of notes, timing, precision of movement, etcā€¦. Yup, hated that partā€¦. However if youā€™re referring to ā€œby heartā€ as meaning ā€œwith feelingā€,ā€¦ well thenā€¦ no. But, I do wish I paid more attention back then when I felt as if were being shoved down my throatā€¦:rofl::rofl:. Chances are, I would have been better now at playing bassā€¦:smiley::smiley:

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

4 Likes

Thank you Joe!

4 Likes

It is for me. Must be an age thing
Is it possible for you to post the cover backing track you used and the transcribed TAB for this song?

3 Likes

Iā€™ll private message you about it.

4 Likes