Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Will not load on my MAC… I tried copying the URL linkhttp://playingbass.rocks/covers/Shape_of_my_heart-Sting.mp3 and pasting into a browser window and it still would not load.

However… I could get it to load and play on my iPhone, and after blue-toothing a my headphones, I found the song to be played very well! The tones are enchanting and deep. Thing was spot on, and as @PeteP mentioned, it would be hard to tell if this was not the original version… Great job @infra - looking forward to more. You should however find out why most others (myself included on my computer) cannot get the player to load or work… My guess would be the hosting service settings or something like that…

1 Like

One possibility is that the web hosting they are using has an IP address range that has been blacklisted by malware detectors, maybe due to another user that is hosted by the same service.

Here’s one such report:

https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/host/51.79.74.108/

2 Likes

A very good synopsis @howard

2 Likes

Oh, that is you fishing, @Lanny - it almost looked like you took up playing the theremin :grin:

3 Likes

IMG_6061

Yup,… Me doing two of the things I love doing in life… “Fishing for Bass, and Playing the Bass”!!

My old Navy buddy who comes to visit with me every spring and fall (we also use to play together on stage) sketched this up this morning for me while we were texting over the phone. I had mentioned that I wanted to build a wash tub bass, and viola… twenty seconds later this is what he texted me… Thought it would be a fitting Avatar for this site…

And in keeping with @terb’s content of “Covers”, the photo is linked to one of Me and Ronnie’s old songs “Boones Farm”…

3 Likes

Yikes, I had no idea throwing up a quick website to host my covers would be such a minefield!

The site is hosted on my brand new server and there’s not much of anything on there yet, let alone malware.
I think you’re on to something @howard Those reports are from last September so seems like a previous user at that IP was doing bad things. I’ve only had it a few days. Perhaps I can get a new IP, also my next project is setting up https so hopefully that helps.

Can I ask what browser and or antivirus is flagging the website as sketchy? I can’t get an error to happen from my end.
I’m interested to get to the bottom of this but I neither want to sidetrack this topic or use you folks as guinea-pigs!

Anyway, that’s a whole other project!

Thanks all for the kind comments about the cover!

4 Likes

could you please edit the links and remove all those infected by the malware, or recognized as if it were infected ? I have a malware alert each time I open this thread now, that’s pretty annoying ! thanks :grin:

malware

1 Like

Trojan warning being given by MalwareBytes, but it doesn’t say what trojan.

1 Like

Same here.

1 Like

Done, removed the link from my post.
Well, at least making the cover was fun!

Sorry folks!

3 Likes

Not your fault!

3 Likes

So I had to google this, it’s in the “you learn something new every day” category. There are also some unique YT videos of people playing theremins too.

3 Likes

thanks @infra !

1 Like

@terb @Lanny
The way the forum is growing I had gotten way behind, particularly on this thread. Great job to both of you. I always look forward to seeing the new videos you guys share.

3 Likes

“My Girl by the Temptations” - 1965 Motown (Gordy).

A great James Jamerson bass line. This was the first song that featured the Temptations new lead singer David Ruffin. Written by Smokey Robinson and Ronald White, it was originally written for the Miracles.

It was a great song to learn, and although the Jamerson riffs seemed simple at first, every verse and chorus were written differently which meant that my old burnt out brain had to work extra hard to try and remember each individual note and where it fit in the song. A great exercise for my memory cells…

9 Likes

that’s great @Lanny, you managed to get a pretty nice and legit warm tone, dark without any excess. well done ! also your playing is very nice, and also I like the idea of playing the videoclip at the same time of your own video :sunglasses:

About the variations, I don’t know if it were really written like this or if it’s some improvisation around the base bass line, during the initial recording. but yeah if you want to get close to the studio version, in any case you have to learn the variations and it can be challenging !

2 Likes

Very nice, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

You should have your own production company by now . . . :wink:

All best, Joe

3 Likes

Good job @Lanny!

Jerry

2 Likes

@JerryP - Thanks Jerry! Motown (and especially Jamerson) riffs are some of my favorites.

2 Likes

@Jazzbass19 - :joy::joy: - There’s a story behind just why I did that split screen on this particular cover… I’ll be working more on it this weekend while my wife is up north in Atlanta visiting kids and grandkids… It was a blast to put together though…

4 Likes