Post your covers! (2019-2022)

that’s great @Lanny Lanny, a very nice cover of a very nice song. also I love the idea of recording in a minimal non-usual configuration ; I might do a similar thing in a few weeks during a professional travel if I find enough time.

5 Likes

Very nicely done Lanny! Excellent work on the video given the limited equipment available. My next GAS attack might include an Ibanez so I may listen a few more times.
:+1:

6 Likes

Great cover Bill, @Lanny ,
The tone from the Fender is magnificent, sorry big red😬
Nicely played and right in the groove :sunglasses:
Enjoy NC bro,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 - Joe!

Thanks @John_E - Most everyone that has listened does also. The beauty of the PJ is the ability to mix the tones on each of the different pickups. It’s funny how even with different strings you can make the tones sound a bit less soft and give it a bit of growl.

Thanks @joergkutter - Joerg…. She was a beautiful bride!

Thanks @PamPurrs - Pam… Love that Southern Rock!!:smiley:

Thanks @terb - Laurent… just using that inexpensive Rockfish cable instead of a DIA made it a ton easier on travel. Just plug into the computer and I plugged in a set of ear buds to the computer audio output. Worked just fine.

Thanks @JerryP - Jerry…. I love playing that ST500E with rounds (flats don’t sound too good on it). Love how fast the neck is on it and I like playing it for most of my faster songs when I need to work up and down the fretboard quite a bit. Additionally, it’s a lot lighter than my Fenders or Yamahas…

Thanks @TNKA36 - Brian!.. Have done nothing to that bass other than a set of LaBella flats and a really good set up…. Love that Jazz neck on that Precision body!

6 Likes

Now @Ed if you want the ultimate 80’s throwback combine Kim Wilde and Nena (her of the 99 luftballons fame). It’s a English / German reworking of the original 1984 German song Irgendwie Irgendwo Irgendwann by Nena).
That’s your 80’s Saturday morning fix. Check out the Bass / Scarf combo in the original video!

Original

4 Likes

Great job Lanny.
Great song, and you rocked it.

4 Likes

Thanks @T_dub - Toby… Fun song!

4 Likes

First of all congratulations on your granddaughter’s wedding. A great day for her and her new husband no doubt but what a milestone for you and your wife! @Lanny

The cover was great and there certainly was some very fancy finger work with both hands when you got the Ibanez involved! The PJ that you started with not only sounds good but looks outstanding. What a great colour scheme with the maple and the green.

I really hope I’m rocking the bass like this when I hit the 2 year mark :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thanks @Mac…. That Ibanez has a nice fast neck and is a really easy bass to play compared to the Fender PJ even with a thinner jazz neck. I really do love the versatility of tones that I can get outta the PJ though.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Oo good find!

2 Likes

Here are two covers of the same song using two different bass’s for comparison.

In this cover I decided to use my Yamaha TRBX174EW that I converted to BEAD tuning. It also has a Babitz bridge and a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Rounds. I did run the bass output through my Radial JDI passive direct box with the -15dB button engaged. I also placed foam under the strings at the bridge and behind the nut. I played the song using the B; E; and A strings.

https://youtu.be/A46i8Uua4xU

Here is the same song recorded using my MiM Fender PJ Special with LaBella flats…. Played this one using the E; A; D strings.

https://youtu.be/8YPXyVgNAl0

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

10 Likes

I’m torn, Lanny – I like the seafoam bass’ tone, immediately, but the BEAD tuning has something really compelling about it. My ears aren’t great (period – but I’m also not headphone’d in) but the subtlety of the first pulled the song together, while the second really showcased the bass. Nice work!

6 Likes

Thanks @chordsykat…. It’s interesting to hear the subtle differences between the two - especially when one bass is an inexpensive beginner bass and the other a more expensive one. Different strings, different tunings, but there is just something about the tones from the BEAD tuned bass when using that .130 B string.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as @chordsykat with this @Lanny :scream:
I love that low BEAD sound and it certainly has major appeal to my ears but I am really mesmerised by the Fender! I think it’s the beauty of the colour of the body and the maple neck with the black blocks that’s trying to sway my choice between the two recordings.
It’s a really interesting comparison with the rounds and the flats ,the different tunings and something I certainly wouldn’t have considered without you pointing it out @Lanny .
I’m definitely going to have a play around with this myself :+1:

7 Likes

Hey the Yamaha really does the business on that song. It’s got a really solid punch to it. Takes some setting up I guess but it’s worth it :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks @Mac - I do love the neck on that bass! It’s actually a Jazz neck mounted on a Precision body. The slight thinness of the J neck makes for a comfortable feel on my fretting hand - certainly more comfortable than either my Squire or Fender P’s…

4 Likes

Thanks @Ed - Have to agree… does have a really deep tone however I did have to run it through my DI in order to help clean up the overtones.

5 Likes

Great job on both renditions! I like both tones, but I think I like the Fender just a bit more. BTW, was that. Jew’s harp I heard in the mix?

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP Jerry…. And yes, that was a jews harp in the background…. With no drums in the mix, it was the only thing I really had to lock into when playing the bass line…

4 Likes

@Lanny Lanny they both sounded great. I’m not one to differentiate one instrument from another, I just don’t have the ear for it. Too many incoming mortar rounds back in 68 & 69 I suppose.

5 Likes