Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks! I appreciate that :3. I actually been having problems…with YouTube, not wanting to upload. So I got a old iPad and a new iPad…I played the video with my old one that had semi bad speakers…:/…thinking if I recorded with my new…it would upload the video…wasn’t the case XD;. YouTube is not my friend right now :/. But yes! Actually, Hysteria was next on my list :3. I ‘love’ Def Leppard!

3 Likes

There are some things that can help. One is you can try a fret wrap, which wraps around the neck near the nut. You can buy them, Haraguchi-san of Nemophila uses one from Gruv Gear.

Boh is old school and uses a hair scrunchie.

James Jamerson used a piece of foam under the strings by the bridge to make the iconic Motown bass sound.

I have seen Julia use a knitted sock the same way to sound like Bootsie Collins.

I didn’t really conquer muting until I started noodling on a 5 and 6 string bass. The width of the neck forced my fingers on my fretting hand to be parallel, and the insane harmonics made me pay attention to what I was doing with them.

But the size of the neck really made my left hand into good posture just to reach the strings. It takes some work, but wasn’t too bad

3 Likes

I was never a massive Leppard fan myself but Hysteria is definitely one of the finest albums of the 80s. I think a hit single was coming off it every week at one point…

Waiting for your next cover :+1:

4 Likes

Oh yea?..it harder on a 4 string?..o.o. I have heard of that though…I just haven’t tried it…lol I’d get confused XD

2 Likes

Lol oh yes…I wasn’t even born when the album came out…my mom has the Cd…and played it constantly, so it kinda is the music of my childhood =3. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was….a lot of good songs on there, definitely ;3. But I got a couple in mind….I will be very busy with practice! XD. I’d love to see yours too! =3

3 Likes

No, it’s much easier on a 4 string, but the harmonics are much more an issue on a 5 string or 6. and the six forces your hand in a better positionm just out of necessity to reach the notes. At least it did me.

But the harmonics are out of hand on a 5 or 6 so I had to buckle down.

2 Likes

That was so f*cking special. :clap: :clap: :clap:

(sorry - couldn’t help it)

5 Likes

And you couldn’t look me in the eye :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see what you did there! :laughing:

After I watched your cover, I actually did have to go running out the door (on an errand, not because of the song)

3 Likes

Here’s my attempt at Man on the Moon. Another one from the Hal Leonard First 50, and my first song with pull-offs. It’s dodgy, especially towards the end, but I’ve had enough of this song for the time being, and wanted to squeeze it into November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46svIqsCEU

11 Likes

Nice one again @akos

I like playing this one too. It’s fun. Haven’t mastered the pull offs well enough yet though.

Your making me want a Lakland 4

4 Likes

2 Likes

Great work @akos ! Really nice song and the Lakland sounds fantastic.
:+1:

2 Likes

Great job @akos . Great tone and nice relaxed playing as well…

3 Likes

Nice cover @akos ,
Love the tone from the Lakland, I’m feeling a lot like John @John_E .
I’m starting to maybe have a bit of Lakland love​:grin::grin:as well,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job! Did you weigh your Lakland? Mine came in over 11 lbs (Skyline 44-01). They do sound great though.

3 Likes

Yes, the 44-64 GZ PJ is 4.5 kg, and the DJ-4 is 4.1 kg (both with strap)

1 Like

Oh that’s much more reasonable and probably more enjoyable to play. My shoulder would be dead after a while, which is why I play my Hofner more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finally fixed the links to some of my covers that were banned on my YouTube channel…

Taxman by: The Beatles

Come Together by: The Beatles

My Girl by: The Temptations

13 Likes

hey my dear friend @Lanny :grin:

Taxman : great cover as usual, it’s still a mystery for me how you obtain such an appropriate tone from a modern bass on an old song. but tone-wise, yeah, it works very well. I’m not digging the mix anyway, sounds too aggressive to me. (but the KRK VXT8 I’m listening on are aggressive, probably it doesn’t help).

Come Together : sorry to say I don’t like the bass tone so much on this one (too dark IMO), even if I think I understand why you choose such a tone. here I wanted something more aggressive :smiley: well it’s just me …

My Girl : perfect :v: (but, hell, why not a P ? :smiley: )

otherwise, excellent playing as usual :grin:

4 Likes