Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great getting your feedback @terb! Couldn’t use either of my “P” basses for “My Girl” since I had both tore apart waiting for parts to upgrade the electronics on both…. I’m sure it would have sounded better with a P bass though…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

good reason for sure :grin: what are you going to do on your Ps ? pickups change maybe (which is a good thing on a Fender IMO ; but there are exceptions)

3 Likes

@Lanny ,
All three were great! Especially enjoyed the video production on “My Girl”.
:+1:

3 Likes

New PiP’s, pots, and wiring went into my MiM Fender P, and in my Squire….

3 Likes

Thanks @JerryP! Always great to get feedback from you!

2 Likes

Completely agree here, tone is spot on and works so well.
Great job!

I think the Come together sounds good except for the booming bottom end here and there but I liked it and you played it great.

My Girl is one of the 50 Song Challenge songs. Would be great if you posted it here too for folks to see with the rest of the entries.

Great job all around as usual @Lanny, always like seeing you play with all your experience.

5 Likes

Three great covers @Lanny .
Sound good to me even on my phone.
I swear blind you’re looking younger!
Nice Whitetail buck on the wall too

1 Like

Love it! Mike Mills is one of my favorite bass players — incredibly smooth and melodic — and you pretty much nailed it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @John_E!! As for the 50 song challenge,… not sure my rendition would be keeping with the nature of the challenge itself since I didn’t play it according to the written sheet music or tabs. I play most all of my music by ear and by how I feel at the time. My interpretation of the “challenge” is to play those songs as written - something that I kinda don’t do since I don’t read sheet music or tabs…

If however you want me to post it there, I will if you think it would help someone…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac!! Always good to get your feedback.

Younger?? :rofl::rofl::rofl: Must be either the bourbon or single malt I enjoy every evening!!:rofl::rofl:

Shot that buck a few years ago outside my laundry/mud room door. Came in from working out on the property, stripped all my dirty clothes off, and saw it just standing there. I always keep guns by every door in the house, so I grabbed the one I had available (12 ga slug shotgun) and shot it when I was bare ass naked…. Damn thing was standing in my driveway staring at a couple does…

Moral of the story…. Hunt Naked!!:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I think it would be great to show folks that you can write your own bass line over there.
Some folks have done different things other than as written on a few tunes, so to me, it is in the spirit of it all.

2 Likes

G’day Bill, @Lanny ,
Liked all 3 covers, great relaxed playing and they all sound good on my system,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 Brian…. Always appreciate your feedback.

3 Likes

Hi Bill, your up late.

4 Likes

Naked eh @Lanny ?
The rat down the feed shed is in for a shock in the next few nights :scream::joy:

2 Likes

Came in from working out on the property today when it started raining so decided to throw this one together for something to do other than get wet outside… My rendition of: Dire Straits “Sultans of Swing”…

I put this simple bass line together by ear and simply used the changes as my basic bass line and added what I felt at the time. One thing I wanted to do was to add more ghost notes and several slides into my bass lines, so it doesn’t follow the original bass line recording as written.

https://youtu.be/u1KjvXv9qQU
Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

12 Likes

yeah I love this song @Lanny ! funny how it remembers me that the guitar part at 5:22 has been a little technical challenge with a friend, a very long time ago … :smirk:

your bass line works very well, and also I really like how this P looks. love the color scheme and the black block inlays on a maple neck. gorgeous. :v::grin:

5 Likes

Thanks @terb Laurent…. As a fellow guitarist, I’ve always loved how Mark Knopfler could make his guitar work so seamlessly - especially in this song…. One of the reasons I wanted to use a simple bass line and just add ghost notes and slides on some of the riffs…

5 Likes

yeah also I really like Six Blade Knife on the same album, kinda minimal and intimate

4 Likes

That was great @Lanny Lanny! One of my favorite Dire Straights songs. Great bass line and tone!
:+1:

3 Likes