Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Interesting tone. I’d be careful cutting all the highs out of fuzz - not sure about the fuzzface, but one thing that some more famous fuzz pedals add is a bunch of higher harmonics that are kind of characteristic of their tone. Various versions of the Big Muff are famous for this, for example.

2 Likes

Great job @John_E ! The Rick sounds great. A little more “fuzz” perhaps?
:+1:

1 Like

Trying to match the original here which is very, call it, “low fuzz”. Give the original a listen to see.

McCartney’s previous fuzz tones were all treble and highs and no bass but on this track on Abbey Road he did something different and it’s not your normal fuzz and not Big Muff type for sure. Due to the very limited pictures and videos of the final Abbey Road sessions no one really knows for sure how he did it. I even asked the gear expert who literally wrote the book on Beatles gear, Andy Babiuk.
Beatles Gear: The Ultimate Edition Book — Andy Babiuk's Fab Gear.

Spent about an hour in his shop in Rochester messing with fuzzes and talking to him on how to get close.

2 Likes

@Old_WannaBe - Dude! This is amazing!!!
You nailed this up down left right and diagonally.
I think the bass sits perfectly in the mix.
What I find very consistently is that my bass has to sit a little higher in the mix than the original (at least as far as DAW levels go, not sure why that is, but it comes out very much the same).
Your finger work, your timing, your tone, everything is spot on brother.
This was excellent, fun to listen to!!!
10/10!

2 Likes

Good job mate. How do you like playing with the pickup cover? I have never installed one and always thought it would get in the way. What do you like about using it?

1 Like

I had one on my ‘61 P and took it off because I felt like I heard a lot of harmonic “echo” and noise with it on. Could be in my head but feel like it’s gone with it off. I liked it here for plucking though. Didn’t get in the way at all.

3 Likes

Makes for a nice thumb rest. I think it gives a little different sound…seems like more sustain and a little gnarlier. Plus it looks cool. Hard to pick with it on tho

3 Likes

@John_E & @Old_WannaBe

Thanks. Always good to have a first hand account cause I have always thought my fingers would keep hitting it as I played.

1 Like

great tone @John_E , that’s a nice one :sunglasses:

nice cover @Old_WannaBe , your bass tone causes way less issues than your previous cover, despite the lack of an amp sim. the mix may be possibly a little bit shy, but it’s OK :slight_smile: a really nice improvement from your previous record !

yeah but the Big Muff is not really a fuzz, electronically speaking. it’s more some kind of extreme distorsion.

2 Likes

@howard, have a listen to this…

and one of my early tests with the Fuzzface getting almost there…
Gain is higher on this one, turn it down a bit to compare above…

1 Like

it’s not that dark really, it’s more focused in the low mid

you could have gone darker IMO …

1 Like

I think you are right @terb In the end the low mids and bass were boosted but the treble was cut way way back and the high mids back a bit - at least in my end result.
I also used the bridge/treble pickup with the tone knob rolled up all the way, it was too muddy otherwise.

Fuzz is a fickle thing I have learned.
When I was in the “Beatle Guy Shop” he has a new pedal that just came in, hand made, $589 (too rich for me) which supposedly duplicated the original Vox Super Beatle V114 amp, fuzz and MRB (mid range boost) circuits (think the end of the Beatles “Birthday” and a guy standing there moving th knob back and forth over the three positions. It was cool, but not for me.
https://youtu.be/dhdOPhTHeoE?t=155
And surely not for $589

Anyway, to get the ‘old’ Paul fuzz, you rolled the treble all the way up and the bass all the way down. This fuzz circuit reacts to that preamp, which was cool, but not for me.
It is how this was recoreded (with a clean bass overdub though). That guitar-ish fuzz is actually Paul’s bass.

https://youtu.be/vtx5NTxebJk

Fuzz is a really interesting and huge area of many holes with fuzzy rabbits in them.

2 Likes

true.

through the ages I kept only ONE fuzz, the MI Audio G.I. Fuzz

I think that a fuzz is difficult to use, I used to own a few ones, and I also built a few ones. I may still have a few somewhere :grin: but really a fuzz is something you have to fall in love with. like a compressor, you have to find the one that works for you. it’s not easy.

also I can really like a very dark fuzz tone. at some point I think you should choose to go DARK for real. the muddy fuzzy thing.

3 Likes

Oh interesting! I didn’t know that.

Ahh I see what you mean with the isolated bass there.

It’s interesting - to me, your sample sounded very synthy, very square-wave, as if it is clipping like you would expect from a distortion; not too low-end focused at all, more like it was very evenly EQ’d actually. It reminded me a lot of a Moog-like sound.

or just flat all the way across, yeah

1 Like

Here’s how it was EQ’ed
Didn’t use overdrive circuit.

4 Likes

Hey, haven’t got many time to play those last weeks, but here is a new pretty simple cover

9 Likes

Nice job @Old_WannaBe ,
Never heard the song before, your bass line works really nicely,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @Vincelo ,
Never heard the song before, not really into the growling stuff, liked the distortion you had going,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @Vincelo ! Unfamiliar with the song but you had great tone and bass line.
:+1:

3 Likes

Nice playing and excellent tone!

3 Likes