Post your covers! (2019-2022)

the crowd was good maybe 40 or so…very clean, very easy to work with

5 Likes

Thanks Brian,

Very true, I get a lot out working through the 50 song challenge, but plan to mix it up here from time to time with something I’m really into playing. Thanks for listening!

4 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 ! As others have said, the timing and tone were perfect for the song.
:+1:

4 Likes

Great performance @Tokyo_Rat Larry! Where exactly was that? Somewhere in Yokosuka?
:+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Geez that’s some talent you have there @dlamson13 ! Just put my phone down listening to your cover and it could easily have been the original song playing.

Loved the sound on your video @Tokyo_Rat . Bass sounded sweet as

6 Likes

Thanks Jerry its down at Iidabashi

3 Likes

Thanks Mac, I love the sound of this bass and im liking how this band sounds. The drummer is 16 and I could listen to her sing all day

4 Likes

You guys were tight, sounded great!

5 Likes

Thanks Howard it has definitely started to take shape

6 Likes

Thanks a lot @Mac and @JerryP!

As with a lot of things on the internet, you see it in it’s polished form. I tried recording this one a few days earlier and it sounded really bad. It was the same notes, but the timing was off. The funny thing is, I thought it was good until I played it back and listened to it. Anyway, lots and lots of repetitions later it tightened up. My family probably never want to hear Rebel Rebel again for the rest of their lives. Thanks for checking it out,
Take care,
Dan

4 Likes

I did this for a Japanese friend of mine; fairly simple bass line. Not everyone’s cup of tea, I’m sure.

13 Likes

Well done @JerryP
I had no idea I knew this song!
Must be from a movie or something.

Playing was great and sounded great too.

I think bass is still a bit high in the mix but that’s me. Others might disagree.

6 Likes

Ahh, such a classic. Well done! You played it really well and the bass tone really fits the period.

Some trivia: the Japanese there is the real name of the song, it’s also the first line of the song. Very famous. The first verse translates roughly to:

Looking up as I walk
So that the tears won’t fall
Memories come of that spring day
But tonight I’m alone

old-school Japanese popular oldies are kinda similar to country in the US, thematically :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks John! I toned it down a bit from the last video but I didn’t want to lose it completely.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Arigato Howard-san! I was told by my friend after she saw it that, the singer Kyu Sakamoto, tragically lost his life in a plane crash when he was in his forty’s. I’m glad I put that clip of him in the video.
Thanks Howard!

5 Likes

I was going to tell you yesterday in the hang (but forgot) that I read a very lengthy article about how to mix for play across all platforms. I still struggle with this too.

My eyes started to bleed half way through and I gave up. Not the easiest of things. Going to keep researching to see if there is an easy rule of thumb technique we can share hear.

6 Likes

Oh don’t worry, this only gets harder. Especially when you’re mixing multiple instrument tracks. Mixing is an art that takes a long time to develop and everyone here is doing just fine. I still have a long way to go myself, and mixing/production is more of my hobby than bass is :rofl:

There’s some top notch tools to help with this on sale right now in fact. But, they aren’t cheap even on sale.

4 Likes

Mixing could be a course all to itself.

4 Likes

There are many :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sukiyaki was the last song by a Japanese artist to chart in the top 40 in the US until Babymetal. It casts a long shadow, and is a song other artists still are measured against

4 Likes