Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks for the encouragement. Humbling is understating it. With bass track about 50% louder than the backing track I can hear (and cringe) at every tiny little thing - no hiding in the mix at all!

6 Likes

Nice first up Ken @KenKnight ,
Most important thing here is you are aware of how much different it is recording yourself and having to listen to what you recorded.
You will look back on this in 6 months and see how much you have improved your playing and recording.
It only gets better and becomes more fun, keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Just keep in mind that this is not really a thing.
Good to bump yourself a bit higher to hear, but, you want to know how to sit in a mix or a band and sound good. And take the help of all that in your playing, all the other parts do!! Lol

I have the same issue playing sax. Sounds 1000x worse in isolation but mix it and boom, decent.

5 Likes

Hey @KenKnight youā€™re only going to get positive vibes from me and pretty much anyone else on this forum.
Good points from @dlamson13 , @TNKA36 and @John_E. Iā€™m a huge convert to the practice of recording myself to assess my progress. We are always our own worse critics, so itā€™s important to take a step back sometimes and focus on the positive. Youā€™ve taken an inanimate object and made music with it. 99.099% of the world canā€™t do that. So youā€™re already ahead, no matter where you are.

When I recorded my self I realized that itā€™s almost as if different parts of our brain are being used. The part that plays the bass is different from the part that sits back a just listens. So the more Iā€™ve recorded myself the closer these two things have become. Iā€™m better than I was at listening to myself whilst playing to realize issues that need addressing and I think in part recording has helped.

Lastly the biggest thing that made a difference for me is to always practice with some sort of metronome/drum machine/drum app etc. It has hands down made the biggest change to my playing. Every exercise, scale, or piece of music Iā€™m practicing is done to a drum beat. Goofing around after practice just noodling? Again to a drum beat.

I started by using the drum machine in my Zoom B1 and progressed to a dedicated drum pedal. Doesnā€™t matter what you use but man, itā€™s made such a difference to my internal sense of time.

Cheers

6 Likes

Great job @KenKnight .
Cool song and hats off to you for posting.
As @TNKA36 has said itā€™s good to keep a record of how your playing and look back to see how you improve as time goes on.
Having said that damn fine first cover

5 Likes

Which by one do you have Barney?

1 Like

Beat Buddy full sized pedal. Expensive, but it sounds fabulous. Itā€™s on all the time.

4 Likes

Very nicely done @KenKnight ! Not familiar with the song but the tone sounds goods. Keep 'em coming!
:+1:

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an old nugget from the '60s. My first cover with the Aerodyne. Hope you all like it. Comments always welcome and appreciated.

All controls set at 100%.
Direct into Scarlett 2i2.
Reaper DAW using Reacomp compressor.

14 Likes

Love the sound @JerryP, your timing is spot on. I canā€™t help to think that dark room could use a little brightening, maybe a set of neon strings?

6 Likes

Great cover! I love covers of this song.

You can mix the bass up a bit if you like, sounded great.

Reaperā€™s builtins are surprisingly good and few people even know theyare there :rofl:

7 Likes

Great cover @JerryP of one of my favourite Monkees songs.

4 Likes

Nice job @JerryP - Iā€™m a believer! I am liking the Aerodyne as well - especially the tone straight through to the interface (albenit with compression).

4 Likes

Nice cover Jerry @JerryP ,
Right in the pocket and the new beast has really nice toneā€‹:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Great job again @JerryP
Very ā€œplayfulā€ playing of a playful baseline.
You nailed the lightness of this groove perfectly.

5 Likes

Thanks @AnotherJosh ! It seems all the hotel rooms I get are dark.
Thanks @howard ! I didnā€™t want to have the bass too hot.
Thanks @Mac ! Glad you liked it.
Thanks @Ed ! I tried it with the SVT amp sim in the Zoom B1 Four, it sounded good but I went with the ā€˜rawā€™ tone for the video.
Thanks @TNKA36 Brian. Hope to see you on Sunday.
Thanks @John_E ! It was fun especially on the new Aerodyne,
Thanks again to everyone!

5 Likes

They all are now!!!
Drives me nuts!!!

6 Likes

The timing, touch, and tone are so nice on this @JerryP. Really enjoyed listening to this on headphones, feel like it lowered my blood pressure a little :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you @dlamson13 . The doctor is ā€œinā€.

6 Likes

Great job @JerryP and nice looking bass!

4 Likes