Post your covers! (2019-2022)

ha ha @terb you’re not wrong. This is a list of just the Bass amp sims in the Stomp. If I bought them all as real amps it would be thousands and thousands of dollars!

I now record the song multiple times in Garage band; I allocate a different amp for separate track. So I might record the song 8 times with 8 different amps. I then sit back and listen to which one sounds best to serve the style of the song. It’s a slow process but I feel I’m learning as I go.

Thanks for the kind comments. I really enjoyed the B2B course and having a constructive, supportive outlet to post my slow but continual improvement is really important.

At the risk of beating a dead horse. Learn songs and record yourself; for me it’s the best measure of how I’m improving on bass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice relaxed cover @Barney ,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Alright @John_E , I wasn’t sure about posting this one, it’s a Dominican rhythm called bachata, traditionally the bass plays R-5th, although lately some guys are adding more stuff, even slapping…. Anyways, this is my first full song outside de 50 challenge, one of the things that I like about the bass is that it goes well on all sorts of genres, so here it’s this thread’s first bachata

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MYFr2mEzM&feature=youtu.be

15 Likes

Nice tone from your Bass @Reo,
Nothing wrong with roots and 5ths, just shows keep it simple and it will fit in with just about anything, again it’s whatever works. :sunglasses:
Nice getting around the fretboard.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Good job @Reo I’ve never been 100% into latin music but I can dig this :+1: . I think your bass would benefit from a bit more volume but the playing is spot on

8 Likes

Very well done @Reo ! Enjoyable Latin beat perfectly executed.
:+1:

6 Likes

Good job @Reo! You have progressed quite well!
I love that cream color on your bass. A tort pickguard on it would send it over the top!

6 Likes

Great playing on this, right on time. I really like the song too, has a ripping guitar solo – kind of sounds a little like Mark Knopfler

6 Likes

Nice cover @Barney . That bass sounds really good in the mix :+1:

Cool first cover @Reo . Damn you were concentrating hard by the look on your face but you nailed it

4 Likes

:clap: :clap: :gloves:

This is one of the best cover videos I’ve ever seen! The sink! The gloves! The stacked coffee cups!

Oh, yeah - and the bass playing, too. Bravo!

5 Likes

I heard this Aerosmith song for the first time the other day through my “bass player’s lens” and I just had to learn it

• I love how Tom Hamilton doesn’t play every note the guitars are playing, the guitars and bass kind of dance around each other in this one.
  • Cool example of a shuffle rhythm in the pre-chorus (Josh makes me feel smart sometimes)
  • During the guitar solo there is this tricky (for me) string skipping part, you’ll hear and actually see my right hand get tripped up on it, but I kept it in.

https://youtu.be/4L52ic4AuzA

13 Likes

Never heard that before @dlamson13 . What a great song!
And a great cover. Your timing is spot on, the bass sounds fantastic and you look like you’re really into it. And you nailed the tricky bit in the solo

5 Likes

Very nice playing @dlamson13 ,
Love the tone on this one, and the cool little slides👍
Never heard the song before, just shows how many cool bass lines are out there, this one fits into that category :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Love this song, and you did a great job!

Tone is spot on, mix is great.
Still hate guitarists who play bass :upside_down_face:
You make it look too damn easy.

6 Likes

Nicely done! I was familiar with the song but had not heard it in a bit, I went through an Aerosmith phase, this is one of their really good songs from the early days, I always enjoyed the way the bass and guitar are kind of having a “dance off” around each other as you pointed out… Tom Hamilton quietly was the center of many of their early days best work, really good bassist

7 Likes

Very well done @dlamson13 ! Great tone and timing. I hadn’t heard that song in years. Great job.
:+1:

5 Likes

Nervous about this - but I’ve been meaning to do it for a while. For “self study” I finally managed to find the time to figure out how to record myself. If it works maybe I’ll finally join in on the 50 songs challenge - something else I’ve been putting off. Here’s my first attempt:

KK cover of Radiohead’s “High & Dry”

Stereo with backing track R and my bass L. Backing is really low compared to bass - because I really wanted to hear myself (humbling). Used a p.psarc (Rocksmith) file with backing track and tabs played and in ToneLib Jam - and TL Jam recorded my additional track alongside it. No pedal, no processing of any kind (not sure how to do that yet) using a p.psarc file of the song.

9 Likes

Nice job @KenKnight !!
Welcome to the cover game.
Great first effort and well done.
Generally your timing and groove was spot on, a few little blips and blurps here and there about overall fantastic.
Tone and mix need woek (as you mentioned).
Nothing here to be nervous about.
Keep ‘em coming!!
Well done.

4 Likes

Thanks @Mac, @TNKA36, @John_E, @Reo, and @JerryP! So glad you liked it, I was excited to share it because I figured the song wasn’t necessarily on everyone’s bass radar. It’s a fan favorite, they play it live a lot

This is the most fun part and what originally hooked me when I heard the song. Thought it was a guitar at first. It sounds to me like he drones the open D string and then does the slides in harmony with it, it’s a really neat sound.

Exactly, he has so much groove and plays so well to the song without all the drama some of his band-mates are known for. You know how those singers and guitar players can be :wink:

6 Likes

Really nice job @KenKnight and love the song choice. There was a time when I was pretty obsessed with The Bends, so nice to hear that again.

Nothing has helped me more than making these covers. I used to think I could listen to myself while I’m playing, but recording is totally different. You notice everything, humbling for sure, but it makes you better. Keep it up!

6 Likes