Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I love Frente’s cover of Bizarre Love Triangle.

The original for those that don’t know it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOr12AQpnU

3 Likes

Inspired by @cg_postbunk 's enthusiasm for the new Elvis movie, I watched it a few days ago. I loved it so much, I thought I’d learn some Elvis tunes. I learned a few, but this is my favourite to play. Originally performed on a Double Bass by Bill Black I think. I tried some modulation and delay to get a kind of slap back sound. It’s not quite there but It’s a work in progress. But fun to learn a straightforward tune and get one in the can.
19 months since starting. Cheers Amigos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhZ81kHG1A

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Fender Bassman
Modulation - Retro Reel
Delay - Simple Delay (Line6)
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

16 Likes

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing

Looked like you were enjoying it too

3 Likes

Nice job @Barney ! Great old Elvis tune well done.
:+1:

2 Likes

My first stab at a full playthrough of What’s Going On. Been playing bass for about 14 months. Ear warning: recorded on iPhone
https://youtu.be/o2kbWSQGZXo

14 Likes

Nice work @mpops1990 I really like the tone. I don’t care that it’s recorded on a phone. It makes hearing the backing track pretty tough. But that’s not the point of this thread I think.
It’s the doing of the thing. Sitting down or standing up and recording yourself. So you you have some kind of yardstick to measure your progress. You can’t bullshit yourself once you sit back and listen to it. Which is where I think the real value is.
Cheers

9 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I tried to keep the backing track low enough to where I could hear the band but not be relying on it too much to stay in time

5 Likes

Hey @mpops1990 thats not an easy bassline and you did a very good job. Few stumbles and tuning things but that’s really not the point. You did great. May I ask how long you’ve been playing?

My only reco would be to put your strap on at all times (a Joshism).

Nice finger work.

7 Likes

@Barney
Love the bass.
Love the tone.
You da man.
I’m always happy when you post a cover.

My only feedback would be some of the notes sounded a bit short/staccato here and there and in the original there are no spaces between the notes, which sorta keeps the flow going.

6 Likes

Very entertaining cover @Barney :joy: Playing and tone were spot on and you certainly looked mega-relaxed

5 Likes

That’s a very valid criticism. I listened to the original quite a few times and maybe it’s the version I have but the vocals and the piano are really in the front of the mix. So that it’s really hard for me to hear the double bass (my hearing loss probably isn’t helping). Or what I think is the bottom half of the piano IS the double bass :slight_smile: I was kind of guessing note length for parts of it!

Anyway, I really appreciate the honest input and I’ll play around with note length some more. Thanks.

9 Likes

Thanks John! Yeah, I’m glad I recorded it even if it’s not perfect; really shows me where I need to focus on and why I’m doing it wrong. If you look at a calendar I’ve probably been playing bass for 15-16 months, however I took about a month off 3-4 months ago and haven’t practiced much at all since then. Just started getting back into it a few weeks ago.

4 Likes

My advice is keep practicing. You’ve got very dexterous fingers (I’m jealous). You will improve very very quickly.

5 Likes

:star_struck: Swoon! Love it. I’ll have to try the same very soon.

I love the placement of that sticker on your pickguard, @Barney – what is it exactly?

4 Likes

Thanks very much. It’s not a sticker it’s built into the pick guard. They’re a company on Etsy. Nicely made. Here’s the link.

4 Likes

I love all your covers folks. I especially like it when you mention how long you’ve been playing. As a newbie this gives me encouragement :smiley:

7 Likes

they even have a matching strap … just saying …

6 Likes

Hey @Barney Spot on cover! All the configuration work paid off a treat

In the words of the King - thank you very much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good work @mpops1990 - it was a bit hard to follow because of the recording quality but what was there sounded solid :ok_hand:. You need to splash out on a soundcard to get some proper covers going :slight_smile:

Oh that is a fine looking bass. I am a total sucker for those old school pickguard covers :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’m thinking a 1970s R&B/Soul number might be next up on the roster.

5 Likes