Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Well done!

I’d never noticed how similar the bassline of that song is to Joy Division’s “Sound of Music”.

6 Likes

Get your lighters in the air folks, because today I turn it down a notch with Lost in the Ozone off the 1993 Motörhead album Bast.rds (title edited :wink: ).

This is one of the few ballads they’ve done and it’s one of my faves. I would rate it probably as intermediate level as far as Motörhead goes - the only tricky bit is the bass solo, but with a good transcription (LOST IN THE OZONE SOLO INTERACTIVE TAB by Motörhead @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com) and the youtube looper, it just takes a couple evenings’ practice. The most difficult bit is trying to put some feel into the solo and not doing it really robotically…

Actually, those hours spent grinding Bach preludes seem to have paid off with the final part of the solo - I guess it runs down a scale of some sort?

The other tricky part is knowing what to do when the bass lays out - I tried to settle for staring yearningly into the distance.

Oh I tried a new way of removing the bass from the original - I split the stereo track into two mono tracks in audacity and inverted one of them. This cancelled out the bass quite nicely! It also removed the vocals, and some of the drums, so I added these back in from Moises. the result is not perfect, but good enough to play with…

13 Likes

Nice job @Ed You nailed the solo!

6 Likes

Nice work @Paul_9207 and @Ed ! Both covers were very well played.
:+1: :+1:

6 Likes

More great work @Ed and @Paul_9207 . Keep them coming!

5 Likes

Sounding great @Paul_9207 Paul.
You are really progressing faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssstttttttt.

7 Likes

growly goodness @Ed !
And you guessed it, never heard this one either…
Great work as usual

6 Likes

Thank you @John_E I really think making covers as often as possible is helping a ton.

4 Likes

Great job on that one, and as mentioned above, that punchy bass tone was excellent.:+1::+1:

5 Likes

Nice job Ed, way to keep turning November into Motorvember.

Looks like you got thru the solo with a good amount of feel into it.
It was just the last part, ascending the scale that got a little robotic, but you played it all beautifully

Thanks for the transcription link, gives me something to play with tonight​:+1::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks @T_dub :slight_smile: ! Yeah I wasn’t completely happy with the last phrase - I think I need to play it a lot more to really internalise it and get the feel. I think it may have been a little off the beat too. I am getting even more respect for Lemmy being able to play these parts and sing at the same time…

5 Likes

That’s why we get the Ricks @John_E :grin: :grin:

Thanks :slight_smile: The next one is going to be a toughie though

3 Likes

Oh yeah! I love this song, you did a great job with it.

2 Likes

Mo Motorvember! Nice playing @Ed. When I learn a guitar solo it always sounds robotic for a while because I’m focused on where to put my fingers. Its even harder to get expressive in a bass solo since the strings aren’t as easy to bend and wiggle. You did great and it will get even better the more the notes get burned into your brain,

4 Likes

This bass line is pretty straight forward, a simple gallup. Not without its oopsies. I think it’s easier to lose your place in these repetitive lines.
The drums on this song are a bit more difficult, but very fun to play.

Simple Minds - Don’t You (Forget About Me)
https://youtu.be/9pX4l2Lz120

22 Likes

WOW @Paul_9207 that was epic!!!

4 Likes

You’re definitely putting some excellent covers out there @Paul_9207

4 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 :slight_smile: :+1: I should really spend more time trying different speeds, phrasings, dynamics - there’s so much room for interpretation of the tab …

4 Likes

That was good!

I have a little constructive advice for this one. For your drums, I would mix them a little louder. Not really by level; the level sounds pretty good. I would use compression instead - basically use a compressor plugin (or channel strip compressor) on the track to rein in the dynamics a little and add some makeup gain to bring out more body from the snare, toms and bass drum. Your bass sounded great but the drums came through as a bit thin. A little EQ might help too. Miking drums is tough!

I like to add a little reverb on drums too but that’s a more personal choice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mic’ing drums is hard. My snare cracks, but in this video it sounds like a 5 gallon bucket. I did add a compressor, but honestly I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ll try adding some gain. GarageBand, ten years ago, used to have very easy drum plug ins. Literally just click a button and they sounded great. Now, they either want you to buy the plug in, or they just wanted to make it more customizable. If you know of any good drum plug ins let me know.

4 Likes