Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you @StartedAt48 @Mac !

3 Likes

I messed around with it a bit this morning, and bringing up the gain made a huge difference! I’m not going to upload it again, but the next time I do a cover with drums they should sound a lot better. Thanks Howard.

3 Likes

Cool. One thing to be aware of though
 just using the gain/level with drums you need to be careful with level as the overall peaks can start to clip. For mixing drum and vocal tracks in particular, compression and limiting are your best friends for increasing loudness. I use at minimum a track limiter and a second compressor for both drums and vocals, and usually have a third compressor in there as well (one pre-processing and one at the end of the chain).

Transient Shapers work great too but usually you use those the other way (to make things more punchy after getting the loudness right).

It takes a long time to get your head around the idea that loudness and level are actually different (though related) things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with that. also a compressor won’t act really as a limiter because it’s more progressive, so you still need a limiter even if you already use a compressor, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure. I actually run one limiter per track and then a master limiter for the final mix. Very important if you are trying to mix with the tracks staged to a full (-4db or so) level.

You can also leave the tracks gain-staged down to -18db or so and then bring that up on the master, to avoid the need for the track limiters, but I like to stage back up prior to track compression and limiting as I feel it gives you more per-track loudness control.

2 Likes

OK @Paul_9207 Paul
where in the heck do you find all the time to make all these covers?
I have no life, and I have a hard time finding the time to get anything together of late.

Good job on this one.
I wasn’t totally keen on your tone on the bass with this one, but your playing is great.
A chugging exercise for sure here.
I have no idea how to mic a drum, so will leave that one alone (hell, I have barely figured out my drum pad thing).

5 Likes

My wife may have brought this up today too. :grimacing:

The tone got away from me on this one, I was overwhelmed listening and mixing this one. Listening to it again, I agree with you. Always learning.

6 Likes

I finally managed to get a cover of Iron Fist completed (Motörhead again)! I won’t lie to you - I was fairly intimidated going into this one: you have to put your foot down right at the start and hold it there for the next three minutes.

Admittedly, I’m not 100% happy with this version (couple of fluffs and maybe the wrong strumming pattern) but I was getting hand cramps after three takes and thought oh what the hell :slight_smile: . The tricky bit, apart from keeping the speed up, was to stay locked into the drums. The best way I found to do it was to close my eyes and try to focus on the snare, which kind of worked, although it looks a bit weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tahQach1k3E

17 Likes

Yeah oh yeah @Ed
You definitely did it justice even if there was a fluff or two. Definitely not the easiest to take on.

3 Likes

@Ed Good Stuff

3 Likes

Thanks @Mac @toughdoody :grin: As far as difficulty goes I would give it 4 Lemmies out of 5. Keeping the strumming going at that speed is a killer

6 Likes

Nice job @Ed ! Quickly becoming a Motorhead fan.

3 Likes

That’s how I got started @JerryP :grin:

3 Likes

Top Banana. I saw them in 1989 I think in Cardiff. You’re forcing me to knuckle down on my next cover . Which is a good thing BTW :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My favorite song.

You did well.

Keep up Motorvember

5 Likes

Fancy covering Overkill @Ed ? :wink::grin:

5 Likes

Started working with Moises on my Imac for the first time tonight. Man, we are living in the future.

8 Likes

Thanks :smiley:! I’m not sure which covers to do next - I want to try some of the newer ones but it’s a tough choice

4 Likes

You know, @Mac that could be a great way to round up the month
 Challenge accepted :+1:

5 Likes

Killed by death?

Teenage, backstage, sex and outrage?

I can keep going, but so can you too.

6 Likes