Post your covers! (2019-2022)

[sorry I made a mistake and posted a thing on the wrong thread :frowning: my bad !]

1 Like

ā€¦ and today Iā€™ll do something rather new, Iā€™ll post a cover made by one of my best friends. this guy was the bass player of Kernel Panic, a band I created in the 2000ā€™s (I played the guitar then). he was a guitar player, like me, and he decided to switch to the bass a few years ago. like me, but he did it a bit earlier. and weā€™re not that much in the same musical trip even if we all recognize what is good music in the styles we donā€™t know much. I can recognize what is a great song in a jazz/fusion style, and hopefully my friend Mathieu can admit what is good music in the sludge/doom/post-metal groove. So, yeah, Mathieu is more in the jazz/fusion things.

his thing is to play serveral parts at the same time and it can sound like this :

I absolutly LOVE the original composition. I think my friend did his thing well, I like the way he makes the song his own with a very different approach.

@Gio and @JoshFossgreen I donā€™t ask you very often but, this time, Iā€™d really love to know what you think about my friendā€™s playing ! thank you !

:kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Hail @terb!

Cool video, and thanks for the intro/share for your buddy.
The song is Nardis, by Miles Davis (or Bill Evans, depending on who you ask), and itā€™s a gorgeous tune, and a jazz standard staple.

As for commenting on his playing - I have lots of different filters I apply to comments for a person. Itā€™s mostly based on what their background is, and their ambition. If his goal was to be a session bassist in the NY jazz scene, I would reply differently than if he wants to make music for himself and his community, while having his profession being something non-bass related.

I think he has good technique, good time, and he has created a lovely solo bass arrangement for a lovely melody.
Let me know if there are more specifics you want, or questions you want answered. But to put a non-forum member up for critique is tricky, as I donā€™t know them or their bass journey at all!

5 Likes

yeah sure, thank you very much @Gio , I know thatā€™s a bit strange. no pro- ambition, heā€™s just a guy who plays bass and he released this thing, heā€™s in his trip to do several melodic parts at one time. I find itā€™s interesting, not very common.

thank you very much @Gio, itā€™s pretty cool to have your first-approach-analysis already :grin:

2 Likes

Nice!! Would like to be able to pull off something like that in a year or two :smile:

Just out of curiosity: was he hearing the chords on his headphones or just his own playing??

2 Likes

donā€™t know if he has the chords but he has at least a drum track !

1 Like

so he said he has the drum and the bass but no chords

2 Likes

Cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

A couple of questions about posting covers on this site:
Does the cover have to be exact note for note as the original recording?
Are there any copyright issues when posting the recording youā€™re playing with?

1 Like

not at all ! you can record your own bass line if you want

it depends from one band to another, the more a band is ā€œknownā€ the more likely you will get a claim on Youtube or Soundcloud. on Youtube, often you get a claim but the video is still available.

2 Likes

Where do the covers reside when we post from here?

1 Like

Most people upload them to YouTube, privately or publicly and then just link to the YouTube video in this thread.

4 Likes

Yes, but YT is more ā€œproneā€ to be visited by bots that check for copyright violation - my King Crimson cover was pulled after two days. A better option, in that respect, is to put the videos on Vimeoā€¦ so far, my cover video hasnā€™t been pulled yet from Vimeo.

4 Likes

or if you have your own website, you can upload your videos directly there. thatā€™s what @Lanny always does, and what I do too when Youtube bans a video (it has been the case for my AC/DC cover).

3 Likes

Here is my americana/country/bluegrass cover of the year ! not very original, as @Lanny already recorded a cover of this song.

but, well ā€¦ I felt in love with this song the first time I saw Oā€™Brother. by the way I love more or less every J&E Coen movie Iā€™ve seen. those guys are very talented in my opinion.

The Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski - I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvsUUkl8m8

Here again I made my own bass line, which is not much more than a more evolved version of the original one. As for my previous country cover, and not as usual, Iā€™m playing without a pick and with a foam block near the bridge. The preamp used is the Bass POD Pro with the Ampeg SVT-VR model, but with different settings than what I usually use. Also I used the Dod FX84 in front of the preamp.

9 Likes

Coen Brothers are amazing. I mean, Big Lebowski is enough to vault them to epic tier status, but Fargo was also really well done, and Barton Fink is just so weird.

The P-Bass tone with the SVT model is spot on for that song.

3 Likes

Sounds great as always. Definitely twice as good without a pick. :upside_down_face:

My wife has asked me to do a cover of a particular song. Started looking at it this morning. Not used to memorizing more than 20 sec or so of a song, so going to be interestingā€¦

2 Likes

Same here! Great cover, and well thought-through choice of tone, plucking style and, uhm, outfit :grin:

I hope that is the summit cross there in the background!?! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

itā€™s the cross of the village where I live, maybe 20 meters from my kitchen :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you Jack Daniels, and thank you @Gio for telling me about this great band !

The Devil Makes Three - Old Number Seven

First of all, believe it or not but the N7 t-shirt is not here on purpose at all, it was not intended to match the song name and I realized the similarity only when I was exporting the video file. funny :astonished: (itā€™s from my favorite video game of all times : Mass Effect)

About the bass line, here again I went with my own bassline which is some kind of more evolved version of the original line. The thing is that the original song is played with an upright and I was not trying at all to sound like an upright ; obviously you donā€™t play the same way on an upright and on an eletric fretted bass and Iā€™m totally OK with that. Iā€™m working on what I would call my ā€œdark country grooveā€ and Iā€™m trying to write interesting bass lines with my own feeling but I hope it doesnā€™t sound too busy for such a minimal song. what do you think ? honest criticism please :v::sweat_smile:

The song and the bass line are not difficult. The (very relative) difficulty here is that there is absolutly no hard tempo reference. I mean, no drum. You just have to listen to the other instruments, feel the tempo and the groove and make your place into the mix. In fact the drum is replaced by two things : the bass line of course (and here the foam is really usefull to give a more percussive yet smooth attack), and the percussive playing on the guitars. Itā€™s cool but not really usual for me, as almost all of the music I listen to have a drum.

Tone-wise, nothing very original, itā€™s my current Americana standard tone : Greenie with the foam block, Dod FX84, Bass POD Pro with SVT-VR model and a very lightly dirty tone (almost clean).

:kissing_cat:

8 Likes