Post your covers! (2019-2022)

They are the LaBella HBB flats (thicker ones, they have thinner as well)

3 Likes

2024 we be dancin’ and playin’ brother!

6 Likes

That Hofner sound really cool. You have a knack for finding the right tone for the songs. One of these days I’ll own one just to join the club.

4 Likes

Yep, I have the same.

3 Likes

Cool cover @John_E
You look so relaxed (as has been pointed out) that you’re nearly horizontal!

3 Likes

Listened to your latest Elvis cover @John_E - this time WITHOUT my hearing aids and with my headset… The last time I used both my hearing aids AND my headset… Definitely a difference!! Without my hearting aids, I was able to better hear the lows in the mix and it sounded terrific… I sort of wondered if maybe my hearting aids may have been limiting the lower frequencies (which I know they are not)…

The VA is very generous to vets with hearing loss when it comes to supplying us with ultra-high tech hearing aids… With my hearing loss taking place mostly in the upper high end frequencies, they have programed these specific for each of my ears hearing loss frequencies which (for me) sounds as if the highs are prevalent and the lows are subtle when in all actuality, the sound frequencies are perfectly balanced as they should be and it’s just “me” having to get use to what “normal” hearting actually sounds like…

Now I’m beginning to wonder if any of this has messed up my covers over the past, and how it might effect any future covers I mix… Also makes me wonder if/how anyone else has dealt with this…

4 Likes

My take on ZZ Tops “Tush”…. Used the “Army” bass I built for one of my grandsons on this one. I recorded this one a month or two ago before I got hearing aids so I’m bot sure how well mixed it is, but it was still a fun song to play….

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

https://youtu.be/GSsqWWiSUoM

14 Likes

Playing is fantastic man!

Listening to it in the car (supposedly the best way to listen) I hear a too loud E string and really soft other strings. Lol! Maybe the pickup is just too close on the E side?

Hard to tell if the levels are right with this weird thing going on. Lol!! Sorry I’m no help.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E - could be the pick up…. I built this one with Fender pickups that I took off one of my other bass’s and may not have it set up just right yet…. Or, I do have a tendency to accentuate the plucking of both my E and A strings on lower frets when I play - kind of a carry over from playing with other groups having two (sometimes three) guitar players when I needed to be heard…

4 Likes

Great cover Lanny! I tend to agree with John, maybe a bit hot on the E string. Otherwise, great job on the song.
:+1:

3 Likes

I love it @Lanny its not an easy song to execute as notes can easily turn into messy soup. You did a great job keeping it tight and give it a leaning forward feel. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Plus I love that guitar muting thumb technique. I’m barely learning how to do it lol.

7 Likes

Sounds great man, great sense of pocket! Billy would be proud :wink:

6 Likes

Great @Lanny . Love some ZZ Top and you certainly did them proud with this cover

4 Likes

Great cover and excellent playing @Lanny. I loved it.

4 Likes

Cool, daddio! The Hof really knocks it out of the park when it comes to rock n roll. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Nice job @Lanny - Really in the ZZtop groove there! I personally like the extra punch from the bottom of the E string - gives the song some drive .

4 Likes

That’s a nice cover @Lanny , Dusty’s lines are always pretty satisfying to play :slight_smile:

About the mix, it’s OK for me. The thing that I don’t like much in this mix is about the original track, which sounds quite trebly. In this case I tend to mix the bass a bit higher, not to hear it better but more to balance the trebles. Also I sometimes remasterize a bit the final mix. In this case I use a dark compressor to glue the tracks together and make the master track sound darker at the same time, and if needed I add a subbtle touch of EQ at the end.

But we’re talking about details here. Your mix is fine, nothing shocking at all.

6 Likes

Thanks @Al1885 - There’s a lot if technique in Dusty’s style…. Not a ton of notes, but a very distinctive style of note placement, fingering, and muting which creates a sort if “feel” that helps draw you into the song…. We also played “Blue Jean Blues” - a very, very simple bass line, but very, very challenging to execute properly…

I know most are taught to keep our thumb behind the neck while playing and I’ve been called out on it several times,…. kind of a carry over from my guitar playing days that I decided to just keep as part if my own style of bass play…. Yea, I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks at times…

5 Likes

Thanks @Ed - Actually my wife and grandsons kinda all said the same thing when I loaded it on my YouTube channel awhile back…. Kinda goes to show that we all hear and process things a bit differently. I guess the bottom line should always be to “Just Have Fun”…. As long as what we do puts some enjoyment in our life and a smile on our face, then “Mission Accomplished”…:grin::grin::grin:

Keep On Thumin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xL1xtbXGg

Im decently sure that someone here did play this just recently. Never heard of this band before, but it sound nice poppunk/powerpop (whatever) song that fills the need to cover that mandatory christmas song.

So here you have. Im 99% sure about the chords.

6 Likes