Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hi Peter,
The riff is part of the course, jddaniel is adding the straight 8 sections on G and A.
I recall playing it when I went through the modules.
I will try your impromptu bit myself and see what it sounds like, I haven’t explored other options.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Sorry peter,
I just re read your response, the riff in the training module crosses over from the D string onto the A string.
I think it is g on the d to e on the a then down to c and b on the a string

1 Like

That actually makes sense.

Yes @TNKA36 and @peterhuppertz, what Brian said. I just like the riff, so I googled the Bass Tabs for it and that is what I got - which was BEFORE @joergkutter sent me the link for the Video @JoshFossgreen did "5 Popular Beginner Bass Lines (Are You Playing Them Wrong?).

Of course I was playing them wrong, and on different strings from what Josh shows in the video, but will amend my wicked ways in straight order. LOL

3 Likes

Can someone point me in the direction of what equipment i would need to do this? In terms of running my bass into my laptop etc? I have a general idea but would like some first hand advise.

2 Likes

An audio interface (I use an RME Fireface UC; there are many many others).

On your laptop you’ll need a digital audio workstation (DAW) software. I use Reaper. Again, there are many others.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

First off, Welcome to the forum @johnsavagebass!! A lot of helpful friendly people here…

As for your question,… this might help answer a few of your questions. I put these pages together a few months back when people were asking much the same questions regarding creating covers. It’s very basic, but might help…

https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/how-i-create-music-covers/

I still [quote=“johnsavagebass, post:909, topic:3763, full:true”]
Can someone point me in the direction of what equipment i would need to do this? In terms of running my bass into my laptop etc? I have a general idea but would like some first hand advise.
[/quote]

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

Oh man Lanny this is amazing. I wish I knew of those instructions before gathering info on this thread: Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup - #37 by juli0r

@johnsavagebass Lannys instructions contain all info you need to know. The linked thread is more specific about recording hardware and is a bit more detailed. Only a bit though. It’s a huge topic.

5 Likes

Thanks @juli0r… I originally put the Power Point presentations together for some of my grandsons who play guitars and wanted to record themselves. Figured that since I had already had them put together, they might just be able to help some folks around here on the forum also.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Hey Lanny, thanks for your reply. I found it super helpful and went and ordered a digital audio interface for myself. Once I get that hooked up I’ll check out your other steps in more detail.

On a side note, judging by your kilkenny tee in the video and your surname might you have some irish ancestry?

Anyway, thanks again!

4 Likes

@Lanny that’s brilliant. What a great resource and thank you for taking the time to share your valuable experience. I don’t think I’m up to doing any recording yet, but looking at all that you have put together I can now think more about doing a recording. It might mean going through your tutorial several times, but I feel that I could crack it.
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

4 Likes

Glad to be of some help @johnsavagebass… And yes, my ancestors came to the US from Ireland back in the 1800’s when they kinda modified our surname from Linehan to Lanahan in hopes of making the name sound a bit more “American” and as such a bit more acceptable during those times…

Hope your interface works well for you. I use mine all the time and most times just play through it into my computer without using any of my amps.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi, it really wasn’t much and I kinda enjoy helping out as much as possible anyway. A really good group of people here on this forum… I suppose we all have something we can share with each other no matter how young, old, or experienced any of us are…

Certainly can’t wait to hear your first recording… Making covers is really a great learning tooling once you get your first one under your belt, they all just kinda get to be a little more challenging because you’ll always try to do better than your last one… Sure would be cool to hear one on that double bass though…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Hi @Lanny,
This is a great package, thanks for sharing, the only thing is now I might have to go and invest some $$$ and buy the right gear.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Any gear (as long as it works) is the “right” gear @b.s.excavations​:grinning::grinning::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for posting the link to your site. I just started working with GarageBand and your instructions were just what I needed to get started on my first project. It couldn’t have come at a better time.
Thanks again @Lanny

6 Likes

@Lanny the double bass in the picture was a repair.
I got a call from a bassist in Glasgow, he told me that he snapped the neck of his bass and heard that I could probably fix it and he needed it for a gig in ten days. I said yes bring it down and if I can’t fix it in time that I would lend him a spare. I got this high pitched “Really” that’s fantastic.
Well an hour later he pulled up outside my place with what looked like a Sumo Wrestler in a sleeping bag, Lenny when your sitting in a chair your whole size perspective changes :crazy_face: , odd.
Anyway what I didn’t know was the ebony fret board had been badly repaired with CA glue. I hate being second man in. I got it back together and he made the gig, in a church for a wedding and photo shoot. Reckons it plays better as well. I think it had more to do with removing the shellacked finish off the neck. So all was good.
So I would not be playing on a double bass. I had to put it on a sofa as it’s bigger than my repair bench, in fact my bench could fit inside it. :rofl: I do however like the gut bucket bass you mention. Is that like a washtub bass?
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

4 Likes

So happy to help @JerryP!! Looking forward to your recording!! Once you get the hang of working with GB for recordings, you’ll be able to tweak things to work best for you. Like I mentioned in one of my posts, I put these power points together for a few of my late teen and early 20’s grandsons so I had to keep them fairly short and sweet because their attention span is… limited??..:rofl::rofl:.

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

4 Likes

:joy:
Thanks again .

2 Likes

Such a GREAT story @Jamietashi!! Love it, and your story telling is right up there with the best!! I could listen to stories like this all day! Then again, I kinda like telling ‘em too…:rofl::joy:

One in the same… Got a couple songs I did on the one I built at: https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/category/music-covers/gut-bass

Somewhere on one of my websites I’ve also got a page that shows how to build one… On my second Single Malt Scotch right now and I’d be a bit hard pressed trying to remember where the hell that page is at though… :crazy_face:

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

5 Likes