Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@Lanny most excellent. Now that is what every bassist should try. With one string you gotta get into the groove. I just love “gut bucket” it has a great feel. I met a v/veteran back in the early 70’s he was from Texas, he gave me my favourite Texan expression at a BBQ. When asked how he liked his steak? “Polish it’s Horns and wipe it’s ass, and it’ll be good for me”. In the deepest Texan drawl I’ve ever heard.
I’ve used the line many a time, however my Scottish brogue just doesn’t do it justice nor is it understood by some waitresses as I’ve had my faced slapped saying it :rofl: a fair few wee dram’s may also have slurred it more than drawled it. I should have taken Texan instead of French at school :crazy_face:
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

6 Likes

I have not even looked at the link yet and already I am thanking you @Lanny. After reading @JerryP saying it’s the help he needed with GB, I know the link is gonna help cuz I am stuck with two things while trying to record. GB, just getting going with it, and the fact I only have an IPad. All the right hardware ( if IPad can be considered right). Just need the extra info I am sure the link will provide, so Thanks much.

1 Like

:rofl: :joy:… I find myself sitting here In my recliner having my morning cup of coffee trying to decipher what… “Comment va votre café monsieur ?“ would actually sound like with a Texan drawl… :joy:

Thanks @Jamietashi,… You’ve somehow successfully managed to start my day off with a smile!!:smile::smile::+1:

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

5 Likes

Well… think Brad Pitt in “Inglorious Basterds” :grin:

3 Likes

I haven’t tried using my iPad to record with before @T_dub… I’m curious though… Can it be done?? I’ve never even tried using the GB app on my iPad… :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

Will let you know as soon as I know. It is supposed to be possible, so if it can be done I can do it, and if it can’t, I still can do it. :wink:

4 Likes

Hahaha… Kinda reminds me of what I use to say to fishing boat owners when I was called out to troubleshoot and repair a problem with one of the boats engines… “If I can’t fix it, I’ll certainly make sure nobody can!”

5 Likes

Good one, @Lanny! :rofl:

2 Likes

I tried to upload a cover to Soundcloud, but they killed it in about 30 seconds. Is there any other way to post a cover here?
:slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I think you could try google drive if you got an account.

I could also upload it for you on a personal webspace, but then it has to reach me first :wink:

2 Likes

you can try Youtube : often your cover will me demonetized but rarely deleted. if your channel (like mine) is not monetized, it doesn’t change much more than the ads management by Youtube and that’s OK in many cases, depending on the song (and artist) you cover.

4 Likes

@JerryP - I’ve had almost every one of mine removed right from the get go… Both Soundcloud and YouTube… Most all of the music I cover is fairly popular so it’s flagged no matter what. Kinda sucks and I’m not willing to play games so I just post everything to my personal website. No one other than my friends and family ever see’s any of it anyway, so I really don’t give a rats keister anyway… All I wanna do is have fun and leave a little something behind for all my great-grandkids to get a good laugh out of in 2050 or so when they’re all trippin’ out on God knows what…

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

6 Likes

Thanks @Lanny, @juli0r and @terb for your help and comments. I’ll do a little more research on this and see what I can come up with.

I kinda really don’t wanna post a cover that someone else has already done here before, so before I do (or don’t), I would like to ask @sfadams if he wouldn’t mind if I posted my cover to “Oh, Pretty Woman” once I have it completed. I’ve been working on it for a couple weeks now, but my version is a bit different than SF’s in that I used the original Double Bass bass line which keeps all notes to the low side and uses many open notes (typical Double Bass style) that require muting techniques used when playing a Double Bass. In my case, “Big Red” with half-rounds and sponge under the bridge and nut end of the bass…

I REALLY DO NOT want to overstep my boundaries here, and I know that SF worked his ass off putting together his cover. I know that we’ve always said that making covers IS NOT a competition of any sort - only just a way to LEARN and get better in our techniques and all, but I still do not want to overshadow anyone on this forum…

Once I complete my cover, I will just load it onto my personal website with all the rest of my creations, but I will not link it to this thread unless it’s totally OK with the FIRST cover author.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

I don’t see any problem in recording a cover that someone already did before ! and I myself have already done a “second” cover of a song you recorded previously, @Lanny (I am a man of constant sorrow), I hope it’s not a problem for you because I never had the idea to ask permission !

5 Likes

Hey @Lanny thanks for the mention, but there’s no need to ask at all. Go right ahead. It’s a classic song and has a great line for bass players. I for one would love to see you cover it.

4 Likes

Hi @Lanny,
Which one
Roy Orbison or Gary Moore?

1 Like

@TNKA36 - Orbison and Dees original version that they recorded using a double bass and a 12 string Epiphone… along with a slew of other instruments…

2 Likes

Thanks @sfadams. I’m still working on the recording. It certainly is a great song to cover. Many of the songs I enjoy covering most are the old classics…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Yea @terb, but your version was so very different than mine because I used my “Gut-Bucket” bass for my cover and you used Greenie… I think that the most interesting aspect for me was knowing the genre of music that you most enjoy was so far from that American Appellation Creation… :smile: :grin:

2 Likes