Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I know. I like to make fun out of things, everything if I can, including my posts.

Being a Pathalogical smart ass ™. I kind of am destined to.

2 Likes

I worked with a guy who once told me, "Ya know Lanny, there are only three things I don’t like in this world,… Warm Beer… Wet Toilet Paper,… and… A Smart Ass!"

My reply,… “Gotta agree on two Gene, but for me it’s,… Warm Beer,… Wet Toilet Paper,… and… Mosquitos!”

5 Likes

Had to pick myself up off the floor with that one.

LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVE it!!!

2 Likes

Great job @RolandDehli! How did you get that clip on the interweb past the copyright police?

1 Like

Hey @T_dub,
Sounds to me you need to watch Micheal Keaton in multiplicity, you may be able to get some inspiration or pointed in the right direction :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::+1::+1::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Seen it. Copy one was ok, but a control freak.
Then the second, clean freak
But it really got fun when the Copies started making copies.

Lololololol. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yep and I’m loving pizza @T_dub :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

And coke cola​:joy::joy::joy::joy: @T_dub

2 Likes

I finally got around to recording myself play! Stopped making excuses about recoding equipment and just busted out the cell phone, but it came out pretty well considering! First time ever recording myself or posting it but am happy enough to share it for sure.

The song is Roses Are Free, written by Ween, but I’m playing with a Phish cover of it.

21 Likes

Great work @BassFaceDisgrace,
Don’t know the song but it has nice melodic lines.
Your finger crossing was nicely played👍
I couldn’t see clearly if it was 5ths or octaves?
Sounded like octaves but couldn’t be sure, either way sounded good.
Did you just have the volume turned down on the tv and the amp up a bit higher ?
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Roots, fifths and octaves galore in this one. And yes, just played through the amp with the TV a few times to get the mix about where I wanted it, but that is all I did to record it.

6 Likes

@BassFaceDisgrace,
Sounds like a good way to do it, I don’t have recording equipment and your sound quality was pretty good :+1:
Cheers

4 Likes

Wow. That is a cell phone recording? Really better than expected considering…

Sounds nice and looks like you are having fun. I enjoyed the moments in which you smiled the most.

6 Likes

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!! Simply LOVE it @BassFaceDisgrace (BFD)… Barefoot and playing to the video on the flatscreen!! So damn BADASS!

Even though the video buffered a few times (I have really bad internet), it was really great to hear and watch you play!

Maybe a couple timing issues, but OMG!! You nailed it! Can’t imagine how good you would sound using a DAI and a DAW!!

You ROCK dude!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

Haha, most of those were me laughing at screwing up a little.

5 Likes

Oh sorry! It wasn’t meant like I enjoyed you screwing up. It still lightened the mood of the video IMO :wink:

5 Likes

Understood, I didn’t take it that way, just enjoying that you mentioned that

6 Likes

Great attitude!! I LOVE when others post covers! I love to watch others play. Putting yourself out there for everyone to see and listen to is what it’s all about! It’s not about how “good you are NOW” when you make a cover to post on this site,… it’s more about how “good you’ll be the NEXT time!”…

Making covers makes you compete against “YOURSELF” in that you will always try to do better - thus, resulting in better “bassmanship”… As @terb has always said, this is not a competition with each other… Only a competition with “Ourselves”…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

My wife loves to make fun of how I tap my foot when I play because it doesn’t just keep smooth time like you might expect. It jumps back and forth between mimicking my right hand and keeping time, but jumping back and forth it looks completly all over the place lol. Being able to watch myself I see how right she is! Pretty funny to watch. Probably not even noticeable to most people watching the video, but it is the little things like that which you can’t see or appreciate when your playing.

Even if you are too shy to post (which you shouldn’t be, especially within this community) I highly recommend playing around with recording yourself by video as a tool to learn. I’m super happy with how easy I feel like I make that string crossing look and that is a cool little confidence boost any time you can notice yourself doing something well.
Watching this video a few times I’m way more aware of how I can clean up my left hand and trying to come straight up from beneath the fretboard as opposed to getting a bit sideways in situations I shouldn’t need to. Making the video also highlighted to me my dependency of looking at the fretboard most of the time. I’m not beating myself up here, I’m thrilled with how it came out. I just want to encourage others to do the same.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

7 Likes

Yes, yes, yes a thousand times yes!

I started doing that in the slap lessons because Joshs tip of looking at my right hand made me move it differently than when I’m not looking at it so I wanted a way to confirm my feeling and hand shape. I knew already that this is a great learning method from practicing public speaking and removing filler words out of my speech patterns, rather replacing them with short silences.

I haven’t quite got into the habit of doing it regularly but certain things I record. For example I recorded my whole final quiz from the B2B course so I can easier analyze my mistakes as you are doing in your post and also to have a reference in a month or so to compare my skill/growth to.

P.S: If you actively work to remove filler words from your own speech patterns they become unbearably clear when other people are talking. It’s as if I started hearing them in bold.

4 Likes